Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 210773 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2008, 04:35 PM »
there was concept art for a 3-foot tall plastic Death Star playset planned for POTF2 that was revealed at Celebration III.

Does anyone have a picture of this?

I don't believe a picture has ever been leaked...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2008, 04:36 PM »
The only pics I remember...

During the panel they said that particular version never got any further than that drawing...

During the panel they also had some pics of an abandonded Dagobah Playset idea...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2008, 05:33 PM »
Thanks for the reminder Jeff, I had forgotten about those.

Looking at them, those are pretty far off from what I'd like to see, so I'm glad they didn't release the Dagobah one at least.

The Death Star one looks massive.  I wish we could get a cleaner shot of that concept pic.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2008, 05:58 PM »
I perfer the vintage  Dagobah playset over that one. The Death Star one looks interesting. It reminds me of the Micromachines playset version. What do you think that is? 3ft x 3ft?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:59 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2008, 06:58 PM »
That was what they said at the time, IIRC.

Looking at it now, I realize that each level is in fact a different planetary environment. I can easily pick out a removable Tatooine, Hoth, and Dagobah scene, as well as a hangar with a TIE fighter parked in it.

It's not what I would envision at all, but I would be giddy as a schoolgirl to be able to purchase one.

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2008, 09:04 PM »
Thanks Jeff
it looks cool
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2008, 10:24 PM »
IIRC, there was a different modern Death Star playset that was shown at a Celebration 2  collecting panel.  It was definitely different from the one shown at C3.  But I can't recall where I saw images of that one.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 7, 2008, 10:57 AM »
From the latest rumor list at www.rebelscum.com -

Vehicles
And here's a rumor from waaaay out of left field....but assuming the "BMF" (Big Millennium Falcon) sells well enough, word has it we may see some kind of Star Destroyer vehicle/playset.

As with any rumor list, take this all with a grain of salt, because it's not official, and may just be idle speculation. But that's part of the fun of being a fan, isn't it?

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 7, 2008, 11:45 AM »
Consider the source first....

Hasbro while now being open to big vehicles have still not shown us the move towards playsets, especially one on that scale.

Take it with more than a grain of salt indeed. I hope it's true, but I won't hold my breath for it.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2008, 12:03 PM by Jeff »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 7, 2008, 12:18 PM »
It definitely makes one feel optimistic.  Especially in light of both the AT-TE and Millenium Falcon. 

The optimist in me thinks that Hasbro has done some serious market research on what adult collectors are willing to pay.  How so?  Well, how many of us are pouring some serious cash into other Star Wars licensees?  The large LEGO sets are not cheap.  Gentle Giant offers some high-end product.  As does Sideshow.  And a common thread among collectors of these lines is that they probably got their start in collecting Star Wars through either Kenner or Hasbro.  But as they've grown along with their income levels, what they're willing to spend on the hobby has grown as well.

But the pessimist in me looks at the retail landscape.  What can the market bear with large items like these?  Retail space is always at a premium, even with Star Wars iconic status as a licensed property.  Just look at how much or how little space is afforded to Star Wars right now in both Target and WalMart stores.

I think the most telling indicators will be how well both the AT-TE and Millenium Falcon sell this Fall.  If they're a hit, then I think it makes something like this rumored Star Destroyer that much more likely.  I also think that given the incredible fascination amongst army builders with all things Imperial that this particular item seems like it would be much more popular than something like a Sail Barge.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 7, 2008, 12:29 PM »
I think it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to start with this rumor, but I could be wrong.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #86 on: May 7, 2008, 12:34 PM »
I think it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to start with this rumor, but I could be wrong.   :-\

I agree. Even if it does pan out, I think I would ultimately pass due to cost and the whole scale issue.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 7, 2008, 01:26 PM »
You'd pass if it were $150?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #88 on: May 7, 2008, 01:37 PM »
At this point, without seeing it, I have to say yes.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 7, 2008, 03:31 PM »
I'm still hoping for a modular Death Star playset. Make the Falcon hangar the centerpiece of the playset with interlocking rooms, hallways and elevator shafts. We can choose to connect them how we want. This would give us more choice especially if we are limited on room. So while I've been a proponent of having several small modular playsets for the DS, I'd be happy with an ALL-IN-ONE set, if we are able to take it apart and reassemble it as we see fit or have need to.

I do see $150 at least if done this way and done right. I'd go for that price too, but again, no skimping here. It's got to have great detail, high playability, and for those that need it, able to be modular.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010