Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 211219 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Big Items of the Future!
« on: April 10, 2008, 05:28 PM »
Wow.  First the AT-TE and the incredible huge-o Falcon.  Hasbro has gone far beyond my wildest hopes for large scale items.  Lets just say these things sell really well, what other large items could they produce?

Will they still be gunshy about playsets using the excuse that only large vehicles sell?

As I said in am earlier post, Hasbro is catching on that there is some serious money to be spent on large, QUALITY items...maybe they want the people they've lost to MR and GG back!

Any thoughts?

The Sailbarge is the only big vehicle that I can imagine having enough playability to be considered.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2010, 04:34 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 05:39 PM »
The Sailbarge is the only big vehicle that I can imagine having enough playability to be considered.

I agree.  It's the only "aggressive" type vehicle that could also double as a playset type setting within the body of the barge.  Plus it's the only larger vehicle I can think of that had enough screen time to warrent such a large vehicle.  It could also be in the CW cartoon due to Jabba's lil boy.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 05:46 PM »
I can already hear the seething rage from some people that a big item/vehicle/playset discussion is starting... oh wait, ARE getting some of this now, just as the faithful have been predicting. 

I'm sure we're going to have to wait and see how sales are on these, but it shows that Hasbro finally realizes there is demand for larger items in the 3-3/4 line.  Will we see a Sail Barge somewhere down the road?  Or a new attitude towards playsets?  We can certainly hope so.

Anyways, what we're clearly seeing here is that the whole "Hasbro will never make big items so quit wasting valuable questions about them in the Q&A's" crowd isn't as all-knowing as they try to appear to be, which is pretty damn funny. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Plus it's the only larger vehicle I can think of that had enough screen time to warrent such a large vehicle. 

How long before folks start clamoring for a 6ft long $500 Star Destroyer ship/playset?   :D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 05:54 PM »
I can already hear the seething rage from some people that a big item/vehicle/playset discussion is starting... oh wait, ARE getting some of this now, just as the faithful have been predicting. 

(snip)

Anyways, what we're clearly seeing here is that the whole "Hasbro will never make big items so quit wasting valuable questions about them in the Q&A's" crowd isn't as all-knowing as they try to appear to be, which is pretty damn funny. 

[seething rage]There's a difference between "big items" and "playsets," Choo.[/seething rage]
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Agreed...  These are vehicles with immense play value to them, not a hallway, so I don't think there's really a comparison here.  Let's be realistic about it still. ;)  The Falcon's "close" to being a playset because it's interior is the place of many memorable scenes...  At its core though, it's a ship that was throughout the original trilogy and the focus of a ton of action too with it twisting, spinning, shooting, fighting...  TONS of appeal to all ages.

I still maintain though, if both this and the AT-TE are on shelves at the same time...  Which one does little billy ask mom/dad to buy him for the holidays?  I dunno...

There's not been many people I am aware of who said they'll never do this or that vehicle in the modern line...  There's been rumors of lots of "big ticket" items being on Hasbro's lists they'd like to try if the moment presented itself.  Hasbro's said as much, have they not?  Hell, didn't Hasbro themselves say they'd love to update the Falcon "at the right time"?  Is it really flooring people that it happened then, and it's got a ton of cool stuff going on with it too?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 06:39 PM »
Plus it's the only larger vehicle I can think of that had enough screen time to warrent such a large vehicle. 

How long before folks start clamoring for a 6ft long $500 Star Destroyer ship/playset?   :D

It worked back in the 80's with the U.S.S. Flagg.  Not sure how much that sucker retailed for, but it's been 20+ years, so I think it's time for some larger vehicles.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:13 PM »
It worked back in the 80's with the U.S.S. Flagg.  Not sure how much that sucker retailed for, but it's been 20+ years, so I think it's time for some larger vehicles.   :)

The one and only time I saw it at retail (at a Wal-Mart), it was 100 bucks (99.something or other).  I only knew one kid who had it growing up, and he and I weren't friends for an entirely different reason. :)  I now have a friend (hi Dave!) who actually has one and I'm still impressed by it in every photograph I see. :)

As for other "aggressive" type vehicles, didn't Hasbro say in one of the Q&As at one point that they had done an in-house proof-of-concept of an action figure sized Turbo Tank?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 07:28 PM »
As for other "aggressive" type vehicles, didn't Hasbro say in one of the Q&As at one point that they had done an in-house proof-of-concept of an action figure sized Turbo Tank?

I don't know about the Turbo Tank exactly, but I have heard that they mock up all kinds of things for "proof-of-concept" purposes but a lot of it never sees the shelves out of cost. 

Maybe someone who knows a bit more on the subject should share what he knows...  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 07:57 PM »
I mentioned in the other thread i wanted the sail barge, but i would also like a more in scale sandcrawler.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 08:00 PM »
[seething rage]There's a difference between "big items" and "playsets," Choo.[/seething rage]

:)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 08:11 PM »
Agreed...  These are vehicles with immense play value to them, not a hallway, so I don't think there's really a comparison here.  Let's be realistic about it still. ;)  The Falcon's "close" to being a playset because it's interior is the place of many memorable scenes...  At its core though, it's a ship that was throughout the original trilogy and the focus of a ton of action too with it twisting, spinning, shooting, fighting...  TONS of appeal to all ages.

I still maintain though, if both this and the AT-TE are on shelves at the same time...  Which one does little billy ask mom/dad to buy him for the holidays?  I dunno...

There's not been many people I am aware of who said they'll never do this or that vehicle in the modern line...  There's been rumors of lots of "big ticket" items being on Hasbro's lists they'd like to try if the moment presented itself.  Hasbro's said as much, have they not?  Hell, didn't Hasbro themselves say they'd love to update the Falcon "at the right time"?  Is it really flooring people that it happened then, and it's got a ton of cool stuff going on with it too?

You may not want to admit it, but there's a valid comparison.  You said yourself that this is in a way, a playset.  And let's not forget that we're not talking about another $40 or $50 toy here, this is something immense. 

We're both pretty stubborn about this, but I'm pretty surprised that you don't think the fans are floored Jesse.   Read the Falcon thread... other forums, the GH blog, etc.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:12 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 08:20 PM »

I'd find a way to get it... but I gotta say, that would probably be TOO BIG.   :P

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 08:26 PM »
Three words: Death Star playset. Like Owen's, but at retail-friendly price of course. That is all I need.  :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 08:32 PM »
A sandcrawler would be out of this world.    :)  I don't think it's 'aggresive' enough for Hasbro, though.  I do think the Turbo Tank stands the best chance of another giant vehicle.