Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 210796 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 11:09 AM »
From the front page article -

That's not all though. Hasbro's not deaf when it comes to playsets, and they've looked at ways to bring them to the public for years. Yes, the beloved Death Star has been on Hasbro's mind for some time, and they've seemingly struggled to find an economically feasible way to bring a nice Death Star playset to the masses.

So... why are we arguing about it being possible they're looking at playsets more? 

But how might this translate to larger items in the future?  I think the sales numbers from this year into 2009 will dictate that.  I can almost assure that we'll see the Falcon and AT-TE reissued down the line so that Hasbro can attempt to maximize the investment on the tooling for these vehicles.  But can this lead to other big ticket, large items?  That's very uncertain.  I think the list of candidates would be very short.  I can rattle off The Death Star and little else at the moment.  At least in terms of an iconic level of appeal.

I'm sure we're going to have to wait and see how sales are on these, but it shows that Hasbro finally realizes there is demand for larger items in the 3-3/4 line.  Will we see a Sail Barge somewhere down the road?  Or a new attitude towards playsets?  We can certainly hope so.

^ ^ ^ That's pretty much the point that I've been trying to make, but it's been perceived by some that I'm saying that this automaticaly means playsets are coming.  I said no such thing.  It depends on how the Falcon and AT-TE do sales wise, and then Hasbro can gauge whether or not they want to explore other high ticket items, such as playsets.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 02:34 PM »
heh heh, settle down fellas. No need to get all riled up at each other.

Back to the thread topic...

However realistic these dreams are of being made, I'd liek to see:
MTT-with a nice rack that holds 24 battle drodis of more
Turbo Tank-this would be a great vehicle/playset mix Lots of room for gunners and other clones inside. Big enough to use as a toy chest of sorts
Sail Barge-far and away a huge vehicle that could have many features to it. It too would hold many figures and could triple as not only a vehicle, playset but also a toy chest.

and yes playsets.
OT:
Cantina
Death Star (modular or all in one, just give us something of quality!)
Dagobah
Jabba's palace chamber (with rancor pit underneath)

PT:
Theed: Palace/hangar/final duel  (All in one set)
Senate chamber-and make it in such a way that the previously released pods can attach to it!
Jedi Temple: Council chamber area, padawan map room, overhead walkway, steps leading up to it (All in one set)
Palpatine's office
Mustafar:Command center (where Vader kills the CIS leaders), shield arm, lava flow area (where we can place the lava droid and platform on)
Utapau: Hangar/Greivous ship platform/wheelbike road with stalactite and stalagmites (All in one set)

This is just getting started, I could list many more.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 03:58 PM »
I like your list Sal.

Out of all the prequel locations, I'd say the most likely would be Palpatine's office... it's such an iconic prequel location.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 04:14 PM »
I agree that big items would have to be truly iconic like the Falcon for Hasbro to take any kind of risk putting it on store shelves.  Now, the Falcon is the least amount of risk they could do...and they will get a good return on it, you have people like me who really don't collect anymore who will be looking for this!

Other vehicles that Hasbro could consider:

-AT-AT (perhaps) -- They re-released the updated vintage mold so much, and it did relatively well each time that it might be worth a gamble.

-Turbo Tank -- If these make a big appearance in the Clone Wars cartoons I could see one being produced, otherwise I doubt it.

-Star Destroyer -- If they did a "new Falcon" type of thing with a Star Destroyer it might work and some retooling of a design could give us PT and OT versions, but it's a bit of a stretch.

-Sail Barge -- Doubt it...I know many collectors want it, but it was in less than 10 minutes of one movie.

As far as playsets, again for Hasbro to take a risk on these you would have to use something iconic and the Death Star is truly the only one that comes to mind.  I'll agree that the POTF2 versions that they came out with were crap, so Hasbro would have to do something big, that has an equal amount of play/diorama value.  Sorry Sal, but some of the way you were describing playsets were more of a diorama heavy idea and I can't see Hasbro doing those but I could see:

-Cantina playset (hell the vintage one was great, an updated version with perhaps sound effects of the cantina theme, lightsaber and blaster fire as well as some of the lines would be possible)

-Star Destroyer -- it might work as a playset if the vehicle idea doesn't...only because the Star Destroyer is almost as iconic as the Falcon.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 04:16 PM »
AT-ST should be on their short list of vehicles to redo, I think.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 05:20 PM »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 05:37 PM »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 07:19 PM »
As nice as that is, you won't see anything like that from Hasbro.  There's absolutely no play value to it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2008, 08:50 PM »
Other than perhaps an opening door and a "shattering window" or something, you're probably right.  I wish they'd outsource the rights to dioramas or whatnot to a company like Sideshow.   :-\

Offline darthchuckmc

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2008, 09:30 PM »
Other than perhaps an opening door and a "shattering window" or something, you're probably right.  I wish they'd outsource the rights to dioramas or whatnot to a company like Sideshow.   :-\

I think he meant the cat had no play value....the palpys office playset is what's gonna get kids age 5-11 back into action figures and off the XBox and youtube....you know it, I know it, heck, even that cat knows it!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2008, 01:35 AM »
Ummmmm...no.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2008, 01:39 AM »
I'd say the Sailbarge has more chance than a Destroyer as a "vehicle" Hasbro would tackle, however as much as I want the Sailbarge, Hasbro's not likely to tackle either I think.

The reason I think the barge works better though is because it's more action-oriented and interacts better with figures.  All the Jabba goon figures out there, Leia's deck gun accessory, attaching chair rail gun accessories, etc.  There's play value there that the Destroyer really doesn't have...  Destroyers are, like you say, more like a playset, and fairly dull from a toy perspective.

Sailbarge though, you've got railings, ropes, guns-a-plenty...  I'd love one, but I'm nowhere near hopeful on that, and even then I'm not hopeful on one to-scale like I'd want.

What a time to put out the skiff again though! :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2008, 02:15 AM »
I think the Sail Barge will have a decent chance if the Falcon does well.  If the AT-TE does do well, but the Falcon doesn't, I don't know.  Hasbro might see it as interest only being in prequel toys in terms of large scale items.  It definitley wouldn't be in scale, but neither's the new Falcon and it seems like the majority of folks are happy with what they see.

Rehashed skiff?  Not a bad idea at all, though I'd prefer a new, larger one.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Larger Slave 1 as well...
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I could see the Turbo Tank happening.  It could be like the Lego one, and completely open up to reveal a command center/jail/med centter...whatever you want...Speederbikes...lots of play possibility.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com