Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 210786 times)

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2008, 08:34 PM »
I say "C", but hope and pray for "A".

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2008, 11:00 AM »
I just think it is odd they do not try to get something Death Star related on the shelves.  I would think any other toy manufacturer would be drooling to put a decent Death Star playset out there, but not Hasbro.  I know they sort of attempted sets from years past but those were pretty bad.  But whatever.  At least we got a nice Falcon and other vehicles.    I would just think a Death Star set would be a no brainer. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2008, 05:00 PM »
Think about this though...

$35 for a pretty simple sounding dome with some random crap thrown in...

What do you think you're gonna get, cost-wise, for a Death Star playset?  Will you pay $35 for a small hallway?  And I'm not talking anything even remotely elaborate, but rather something "simple" made up of a couple pieces...

The Hoth turret's nice to me and I'd shell out $20 for another one if it had a couple repaint figures with it (a droid, and a repainted trooper if they make a decent one, let's say for argument's sake).  I wouldn't pay $35 for the tower though...  I love it, but I won't pay $35 for it.

Now imagining what it is people say they WANT in a Death Star...  You're gonna pay a ****load more than $35 for it.  And you're not likely getting figures either.  Or if you do, it'll be one, and it won't be anything special.

I think we're seeing some of Hasbro backing up the things they say with this upcoming Lars Homestead dome issue...  You're getting something that is surely "simplistic".  A couple pieces it seems...  Nothing flashy.  And you're gonna pay $35 for it.  The Falcon, I think, is simpler than people are even giving it credit for...  If you look at it closely, they cut down on as many individual parts for it as they could.  The interior's like a single-piece insert, etc.  And it's still $150.

Again I'm not saying a DS playset isn't ever going to happen, and that it's not a cool idea...  And like I've pointed out before, I was championing a stackable/modular Death Star many, many years ago as a concept that I thought would "work" and make everyone happy...  Ultimately though, I don't think Hasbro will deliver perfection at the price people (lots of people) are willing to pay.  Some, perhaps, but I think the majority will either be disappointed in the quality, or the overall cost to get it.  Would a chipboard "dome" thing work for you?  Would a $35 6 inch section of hallway work for you?  I dunno... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2008, 09:47 AM »
Too bad things didn't pan out with Sideshow doing playsets. :(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2008, 01:40 PM »
Too bad things didn't pan out with Sideshow doing playsets. :(

No offense Ant, but I'm glad they didn't. SSC's playsets would cost MUCH more than I'd be willing to pay. That and no doubts they'd do some stupid exclsuive thing that we all couldn't get if we wanted therefore alienaing more fans.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Great points Sal and I tend to agree, but all the same, they'd probably be better than the playsets we don't have.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Great points Sal and I tend to agree, but all the same, they'd probably be better than the playsets we don't have.

No doubts there, but the demand for these are for Hasbro offerings. SSC would be limited in how many they an make, hence art of the price increase. Besides, I contend that playsets need to get in the hands of kids just as well (as we collectors). SSC just doesn't have that kind of manufacturing capability to meet that need.

Again, I'm sure they'd produce quality product, just not enough to meet the full need and not a price most would be happy to pay for it (I'm taking into account parents in this, especially those who are not SW collectors.)

I see your point Anton. I just don't agree that SSC could do this right and make it available and affordable to all who should have a chance at getting them. So in that, I don't think they should try it.

(And no worries Ant, we can respectfully agree to disagree on this point.)
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 2, 2008, 01:02 PM »
It COULD be Vaderīs Executor, but it needs to be huge

Hasbro could release a Star Destroyer by parts to join an connect them,(yes it would be expensive, but we should think about it), for example one part with the bridge and technicians, other with a briefing room for commanders and officers like Ozzel, Piett, other parts with the holograph and meditation chamber
if we can connect several parts, I hope both internal and external features must ve well designed, the turret, guns, etc.

It would be 3 parts or a giant ship.

It is a project

if this wouldnīt be nice, there should be some playsets to connect them with the above features.

So, take part in this discussion and express your concept for a star destroyer :)

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 5, 2008, 07:58 AM »
The next big item will be either the larger AT-AT or the Slave 1.

Both iconic vehicles.

The Tie, X-wing, and now, falcon are all nicely sized.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 5, 2008, 07:52 PM »
new big Death Star I and Death Star II playsets, like the throne room duel, the bridge where Luke and leia jumped, a new jabba palace with interconecting parts, etc.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #130 on: July 6, 2008, 01:05 AM »
The next big item will be either the larger AT-AT or the Slave 1.

Both iconic vehicles.

The Tie, X-wing, and now, falcon are all nicely sized.

I don't see them making another Slave 1.  The retooled Saga version(s) are pretty good IMO.  I could see a new AT-AT or AT-ST down the line.  What I'd like to see is a new Cloud Car.  They haven't made that thing since the 1980's.

I also think a modular Death Star could possibly work, but I think that would be a tough sell.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 6, 2008, 01:30 AM »
I honestly don't know about a Death Star.  It's definitely one of the most iconic environments.  But would Hasbro possibly retread some ground that they've already covered?

These are the sections that I think would make for a comprehensive Death Star:
-Trash Compactor (already done as a screen scene)
-Light bridge (done in POTF2)
-Detention block (done in POTF2)
-tractor beam station
-turbolaser station
-blast doors
-docking bay
-command center

I think that most of those could be done in a multi-level playset.  Is it likely?  I don't know.  I think we need to see how well the new Falcon sells.  But I also don't think a docking bay would be feasible in that format.  That's where my own plan comes into play.

I think a Death Star docking bay might be cool on it's own.  And I think it can be done with a combination of plastic and cardboard pieces.  The cardboard can act as the floor and some of the wall segments, but the main wall anchors would be plastic pieces.  One being the blast door near the site of Vader and Obi-Wan's duel, another being the alcove where C-3PO and R2-D2 hide, and the third being a generic hangar wall.  And given the ability to fold the cardboard, it might be made big enough so that you can have a place to land the BMF Falcon.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 6, 2008, 09:45 AM »
The retooled Slave one was pretty good, but it's still way too small. Big enough to fit three figures in the cockpit  would be perfect.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 6, 2008, 09:59 AM »
The retooled Slave I will fit 3 figures in the cockpit, albeit snugly.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 6, 2008, 10:05 AM »
What about a Dagobah playset? That seems like something that they could do by resurrecting the vintage Dagobah playset with some new pieces and an updated paint job.

Could even make an Ultra Battle Pack out of it.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!