Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 210763 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #225 on: December 5, 2008, 09:23 AM »
It may just be our area, but it seems like they've both been pretty consistent sellers around here.  Most stores were sold out this weekend, although I see our local Target had restocked another Falcon this week.  I agree though that having them out at the same time may hurt a bit.  I personally hope we see some more big vehicles in the future (I wouldn't mind seeing some more OT ships get all-new versions), but if we're going to get two in a year, they might want to do one in the spring and one at Christmas (or just do one each year).  Hopefully the sales figures will allow for us to see more of this concept in the future.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #226 on: December 5, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Holy hell you're back. ;D

Baby, Moved, China Trip & Work craziness engulfed me...I still swimming..but I am back.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #227 on: December 5, 2008, 10:26 AM »
Moved?  PM me sometime...  I've got your # but if you moved I doubt it's working then.  Life's hectic here too...  Not to the extent yours is obviously, but hectic.  I'll tell ya all about it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 30, 2008, 04:19 PM »
Now that we've gotten through the holiday shopping season (at least for the most part), how do you think these big vehicles did?  It seems like it has varied by region, but here locally, it seems like the Targets and WMs in town have sold through both pretty well (Target in particular doesn't have any on the shelves last time I was there).  TRU had 1 Falcon and about 5 of the AT-TE last time I was in there, but they seemed to have more stock of both in general during the holidays.  Anyways, that being said, do you think we'll see another round of these in 2009?  If so, should Hasbro limit it to one - or keep it at two and break them up in the year a little?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #229 on: December 30, 2008, 04:46 PM »
I'd say they both sold fairly well.  I think the AT-TE probably did better since I did see a couple of Falcons at Target just before Christmas and there were no AT-TE's in sight.  Not very scientific reasoning, but that's what I observed.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2008, 06:49 PM »
I've been seeing more Falcons than AT-TE's.  And based on some comments from family members who were buying Star Wars for kids this holiday season?  They were deterred by the price of the Falcon.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 30, 2008, 07:20 PM »
I think if they re-release the Falcon anytime soon, it will really collect dust as it will be essentially a repack of a $150.00 ticket item.  Hasbro did pick a great year to release it though and I think they and retailers have to be pleased.

The AT-TE did better it seemed in my area, the lower price tag as well as the "clone" aspect helps it a lot.  The only drawback is the damn legs but it seems as though sales did fine despite that.  And while Hasbro has had to send out replacement legs galore, that shouldn't deter them from pushing more large items like this.  That was a quality issue and not a sales one... and I think this could be repacked even next year and still do ok.  Might just be an exlusive next time it is released though.

I think this is all very good news for more items of this size in the future, and dare I say this can't hurt the prospect of some diorama-esque playsets too.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 30, 2008, 07:35 PM »
I actually wonder if the situation with the legs may be a negative for large vehicles.  The need to produce those legs and send them out at no charge is a cost that Hasbro has to eat.  If the issue was at the design end, then someone at Hasbro might lose their job.  If it was a production error then Hasbro may penalize the factory.  But someone is going to eat the cost of those AT-TE legs.

I don't know if we're really going to know the outcome of the situation for 6 months to a year.  Hasbro has said that they don't release sales figures.  And I think Hasbro is likely to be vague if asked about things in the Q&A's.  But having been to the stores, sales seem to have been solid.  But there's the potential that the leg defect might deter Hasbro from doing big vehicles again.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 30, 2008, 08:10 PM »
So are the legs that Hasbro is mailing out any better than the stock ones? How are they different? It seems to me all you need is some clear tubing to fit over the leg posts to make them more secure. No use on bothering Hasbro for that unless you are customizing a twelve-legged AT-TE.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #234 on: December 30, 2008, 09:33 PM »
The legs are different (check our story on the front page Paul, there's some photos), and much more sturdy.  I think some plastic tubing would work fine too though (didn't try it msyelf).  I got my replacement set but I'm gonna need a second set actually I think, as I got another TE and the legs are doing the same thing again.

Beware too.  Mine I thought were ok, but over time I found they were not.

The peg was basically changed slightly.  It's much MUCH sturdier, and honestly I have found you only needed the center set, not all 6, but that was my Walker.  Yours may need all 6?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 30, 2008, 10:05 PM »
Mine need all 6, but Hasbro doesn't have this offer anymore the last time I checked... at less I'm in the wrong page.

I was thinking to get another one... last time I saw one at WM, was at $70, but for these legs like that...I prefer some Gunships.

Beware for Ebaysellers... they have legs at $9.00 per parts  >:(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 31, 2008, 08:27 AM »
I agree with what many of you have seen in your area.  Both vehicles sold well here, and aside from TRU, I don't think there are any left on the shelves locally really (at least at the stores we frequent).  I think the AT-TE might have sold a little quicker as well, although both did well it seems.  I'm wondering if Hasbro might need to keep the pricepoint a little closer to $100 rather than $150 (or only release one "big" vehicle a year) to get the most solid sales.  I mean, some of us collectors even were turned off by the higher price, I'm sure casual buyers were even worse.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 31, 2008, 09:39 AM »
Both vehicles seemed to sell great here. I think this bodes well for new items next year.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #238 on: January 2, 2009, 03:50 PM »
I don't know how the legs could NOT be a negative for the future.  Check out the reviews at Target.com and Amazon...especially the ones in the last few days

Target
Amazon

Sure people bought them...many opened them for Christmas and what did they find?  A giant piece of crap.  I fixed my son's with the tubing...how many Joe the Plumbers know the same trick?  If I shelled out $100+ for an AT-TE I'd be absolutely pissed if the legs fell off constantly and probably would not buy another large ticket Star Wars item again.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 2, 2009, 06:24 PM »
Yeah, let's hope that Hasbro gets their act together before they **** up the AT-AT & AT-ST.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN