Author Topic: The rebirth of Rock?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
The rebirth of Rock?
« on: April 15, 2008, 01:56 AM »
I've posted a few times lamenting the dearth of even passable rock music on the radio the past few years.  Over the course of the last month or so, I've seen some signs of hope!  Three bands have really struck a chord me:

Airbourne - I've heard one of their songs a few times, "Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast."  The first thing I thought was "This sounds like old AC DC."  Even the way the guitars are configured.  The lead sounds like Angus Young's lead.  The rhythm guitar sounds like AC DC's rhythm guitar.  But it's good.

EndeverafteR - I heard "I Wanna Be Your Man" and was just blown away.  Yeah, the lyrics are caveman stupid, and the thing is totally derivative, but it just totally rocks!  It's just fun, hard, bluesy, funky fun.  And the video of "Baby, Baby, Baby" has hot chicks in schoolgirl outfits making out (there's even an uncensored cut on NGTV)... better than all the whining that's been passed off as rock of late.  What impresses me most is the guitar work... really just amazing, skilled stuff.   ;D

Black Tide - I heard them for the first time driving home this morning, and color me impressed.  Haven't really had the chance to look up much yet.  But very promising.

So is rock about to rock again?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: The rebirth of Rock?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 02:22 PM »
Funny that you mention this Bill.  I'm not sure I've heard the song you were talking about...but I have noticed an increased interest among kids lately in rock.  I'm thinking though that people are about tired of the hip-hop/pop mix that to me is basically a music jumbalaya and are ready for a "new" sound out there.

I can say, I'd love to hear some new guitar driven music come around as opposed to the bass driven dance music that seems to be so popular.

Maybe I'm off my rocker (pun intended), but I want to hear the good stuff.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 08:41 PM »
You owe it to yourself to check out EndeverafteR.  Their guitar work is just sick.  They have a MySpace page, but the videos on NGTV are better... well worth the pain-in-the-ass it is to find them there.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 11:25 AM »
Airbourne?  Black Tide?  EndeverafteR?????

If stupid band names means the rebirth of rock, the this **** is ROCKIN.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 12:58 PM »
Yeah... because what matters is the name of the band, not the music they play.   :P

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 05:45 PM »
...My Morning Jacket...

They'll be on SNL next week. Until then, go out and buy one of their albums (I suggest It Still Moves or Z).

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 05:55 PM »
Second on MMJ.

Also check out Black Mountain and The Black Angels (no relation, other than members of the family of rock).
"Really?  Sorry."