Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 11827 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 03:34 PM »
I believe in that relief fund. It will help alot of us here. Wouldn't you please help a fellow collector complete his riped DVD/blueray collection?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 07:55 PM »
We'll be dropping the mail-in portion of Netflix but will probably keep the streaming for the kids.  We can always find stuff that they are interested in.  Currently the 6 year old is into "realistic" Dinosaur stuff so we can find plenty of PBS/Nat Geo/Discovery Channel stuff for her.  The 9 year old has an endless supply of History Channel/Discovery Channel stuff to keep him busy through his changing fascinations and obsessions.

When I first got Netflix I rarely used it for movies.  I used it mainly for premium cable series like Dexter and True Blood.  Think is we got hooked and didn't want to wait so we are now paying for HBO/SHO.  Which is cool - because I just got to work all the way through Six Feet Under on HBO On Demand.  I forgot how much I loved that show and didn't realize how much stuff I missed out on by watching it on A&E. 

Anyway - we use Redbox quite a bit - mostly for the kids.  There a not many movies that I give enough of a shite about that I don't have a problem wait until they are on Redbox for.....
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Aaah, it took a while, but the other shoe has finally dropped on the Netflix streaming/dvd separation that took place this past summer - Netflix Separates its DVD Business.

Netflix = streaming only.
Qwikster = DVDs by mail.

Everyone knew they were going to dump DVDs eventually.  I guess this was a way they can try to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to going streaming only.  Let Qwikster run DVD until it dies, but keep Netflix moving forward.

I wonder if this will blowup in their faces as much as the price stuff did this summer...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 01:17 PM »
If they streamed stuff the same day as they started shipping it, then that would be different. I hope this blows up in their faces.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Since their streaming is only about 1/3 of their dvd library....this is going to be an epic fail.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 10:22 PM »
All I know is their selection on my Wii sucks.

How can you not have ANY Harry Potter movies?

And why can't you stream in HD?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Everyone I know is mad about the new pricing and decisions they've made...

Until they can stream with the same picture quality as a blu-ray disc, I'm not interested. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 11:36 PM »
The jury is still out for me.  I was paying $10/month and almost exclusively just using the DVD service.  When they separated the costs, we went with DVD only, which only costs me $8/month.  I've noticed no difference in my service, so if the name change goes smoothly, I'm still happy with the $8.  We get about 5-6 movies per month for less than what a single movie ticket out would cost...how can you not be happy with that?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  I get to watch Blu-rays twice a week, and I'm happy.  If the postal service drops Saturdays that might mess things up, unfortunately.  I'd probably just add a second disc for a couple bucks more per month, which would still be affordable.

When I had "free" streaming I watched stuff I wouldn't normally watch... odd-ball movies and anime.  It was good if I had nothing on the DVR and wanted something in the background while I drew my comics.  I saw some good stuff, but not enough to justify the monthly fee.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 11:44 AM »
All I know is their selection on my Wii sucks.

How can you not have ANY Harry Potter movies?

And why can't you stream in HD?

That is because your Wii can't do HD. It only does standard def 480p. There is no HDMI port on the sucker. The new WiiU will do HD later on this year.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 04:11 PM »
That is because your Wii can't do HD. It only does standard def 480p. There is no HDMI port on the sucker. The new WiiU will do HD later on this year.

Thanks! That is awesome to know.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 08:50 PM »
The jury is still out for me.  I was paying $10/month and almost exclusively just using the DVD service.  When they separated the costs, we went with DVD only, which only costs me $8/month.  I've noticed no difference in my service, so if the name change goes smoothly, I'm still happy with the $8.  We get about 5-6 movies per month for less than what a single movie ticket out would cost...how can you not be happy with that?

I think the name change is retarded, but I too will stick with "Qwikster".  Awesome service.  Awesome selection.  Awesome price.

I know they're trying to get ahead of the curve on this, but I think they're way too far out on the curve.  Its hard for me to believe that there are going to be that many more people that prefer streaming over DVD by mail in the next five years.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 12:31 AM »
We actually just signed up for TiVo yesterday, so depending on how that works out, I may be switching from DVD to streaming.  We'll see if I can figure out just simple recordings first...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 11:38 AM »
I do everything streaming in this new house. All my dvds are stored on my NAS. We watch netflix and record on our DVR. We very rarely go to Red Box to get the latest release. I still don't own a Bluray player. I might pick up one for the computer to store them on my NAS.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 01:41 PM »
Just got this email from Netflix:

Dear Tracy,

It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We value you as a member, and we are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:42 PM by Tracy »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(