Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 11830 times)

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Netflix
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:57 AM »
Well, specifically, those with Netflix (or some other similar type rental arrangement). How many movies do you rent at a time? Do you just watch them casually then return them at your leisure, or do you plow through them like you're on a mission? How many movies are currently in your queue? How do you decide which ones to watch (queue management)?

I've got the two-at-a-time deal from Netflix, and have had it for about 6-7 years. I watch two movies pretty much every weekend, then send 'em back on Monday morning. Sometimes, if I get the new movies by Wednesday, I'll watch one that night, then return it on Thursday morning, which may lead to me receiving another new selection in time to view Saturday night. However, this doesn't always work. I think my preference would be to have at least three at a time, so that I could watch one each night on the weekends (Fri-Sun), but I'm too cheap to spend the extra couple bucks on the new subscription price.

As for queue, I've got 142 in mine, with another 20 in my saved DVDs list. And there's really no rhyme nor reason for my method of adding them. If I see an actor or director or song or whatever that appeals to me, I'll add the movie. I did add all the Academy-nominated movies this year (best picture, actor/actress, supporting, foreign, director, screenplays) so there's some method to my madness there. I usually won't read the reviews before I add movies, so sometimes it pays off, sometimes it tragically doesn't. However, overall I'm glad that I've seen movies that I'd never have seen otherwise. The one thing that has me stumped, though, is what movies to move to the top of the queue each week. If I just leave the queue the way it is, there's going to be movies that I really want to see now, but may not see for a year. But if I keep moving some movies to the top of the queue, others will continue to be pushed down and I'll forget about them and likely never see. It's almost like I need to have a marathon catch-up-type weekend, but that'll never happen. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Your queue
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 12:41 PM »
One thing I've noticed is that you must put a movie as your number once choice right before it is released or you will be put on the long waiting list for the movie.

We've got the three movie plan and currently have a little over fifty movies in queue right now. I've noticed if you watch all three in a day or two and return them right away, Netflix will delay shipment of the next three by a couple of days. If you send them one at a time, they typically arrive the next day. It's like they have a max number of movies they will send you during the month and try to slow you down with shipping delays.

However, Netflix definately has a better selection of movies over Blockbuster. I've also noticed that Blockbuster seems to ship more damaged DVDs than Netflix does also.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Your queue
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 01:11 PM »
Netflix rocks but their waiting times are terrible unless, as you say, you time it right.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Couldn't find a thread so I thought I would start one.

I love netflix - I use it all the time.  BUT....  price increase inc!....    :(     click on change plan in your account management to see the changes.  I have the 3 movies at a time plan - it is going up $3 a month during my billing cycle in January.

Netflix is starting a streaming only plan up for $8 a month.  unlimited streaming - no discs in the mail.

edit:  I read all that info elsewhere.  I just got the email now:

We want to let you know about two important changes to the Netflix service.

1.   The price of your current plan is changing from $16.99 a month to $19.99 a month. This new price will be effective with your next billing statement on or after January 2, 2011, and will be referenced in your Membership Details. With your current plan you can both instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV and receive unlimited DVDs by mail.

2.   We now also offer a new $7.99 a month plan which lets you instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV. This plan does not include any DVDs. All the titles you can watch instantly on your current plan are also available on this new plan, and as a reminder, not all titles on DVD are available to watch instantly. This new plan is available immediately – if you'd like to switch to this new plan at any time, simply visit Your Account.

Why the changes? Our selection of TV episodes and movies available to stream has grown dramatically, and as a result most members want us to deliver unlimited movies and TV episodes two ways: streaming instantly over the internet plus DVDs by mail. The price change will allow us to continue to offer the popular plan choice of unlimited TV episodes and movies streaming instantly along with unlimited DVDs. The new plan, which does not include DVDs, is a great option for the increasing number of members who only want to watch instantly. The $7.99 a month price reflects no DVD shipping costs on this plan.

We hope you're enjoying great TV shows and movies from Netflix, and that you'll continue to enjoy Netflix on whichever plan you choose. We realize you have lots of home entertainment options, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-715-2146.

–The Netflix Team

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:43 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:50 PM »
I bet in a year or two Netflix will be 100% streaming only. That seems to be the direction they are going.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:10 AM »
Yeah, my Netflix plan is going up a $1 a month (two discs at a time, "unlimited) to $14.99. We don't do the streaming at all, since I'd rather stick needles in my eye than watch a movie on my computer, and our tv isn't streaming capable.

I've tried Redbox a couple of times, and I think this may be the way to go for us. Even if we watched three movies per week, at a $1 per movie, it'd still be cheaper than the $14.99 Netflix charges. Plus, the library has movies for free.

Then again, I have a sneaky suspicion that if I cancel Netflix and just get movies via Redbox and the library, I'd be letting technology pass me by...yet again.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Even if a Red Box was a block, you'd still need to go out and get the movie.  That's time, gas, and hassle.  Netflix is well worth an extra couple bucks a month on convenience alone.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 01:38 PM »
We lurve our Netflix.  The kids stream stuff on the Wii.  The youngest is into dinosaurers - so she loves the PBS and Discovery Series on them.  My son loves to pull up stuff on Discovery, History Channel and NatGeo.

I like being able to get caught up on previous seasons of shows that I just now am getting turned on to like True Blood, Dexter and Big Love.

Plus I was able to get caught up on Lost before the final season. 

Sucks though b/c now I had to go get HBO/Showtime (w/a deal through the cable co.) because I can't stand to wait for Netflix to catch up on my shows >:(
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 01:32 PM »
I've used Rebox too.  While cheap, they have the crappiest selection of movies. 

What I love about Netflix is that I can rent anything, from any era.

I look forward to the day when everything is streaming...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Not happy about going from $10 to $16.  >:(

A 60% increase in cost with no service improvements = LAME.  I dropped DVD service to keep our costs down, but now I feel dirty since that's exactly what they want me to do (so they can eventually cut the DVD business).

Bah, stupid Netflix.  ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 10:59 AM »
I've always used Redbox, and I'm patient about waiting for the new stuff. But, if anyone has a grip about prices, try the local library... it's free, even though you might have to wait awhile to get it.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 11:08 AM »
I'll drop streaming with the price increase.  I watch it occasionally, but certainly not as much as I do Blu-rays.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 12:51 PM »
Did they get Sony flicks back yet?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 01:50 PM »
I'll drop streaming with the price increase.  I watch it occasionally, but certainly not as much as I do Blu-rays.

This is what my wife and I decided to do. My step-son is going to be pissed 'cause he streams a lot of Manga from Netflix to his Xbox, but he'll just have to get over it!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 02:01 PM »
"This is the way."