Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 11833 times)

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
Re: Netflix
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Check out our coverage of the Netflix/Qwikster controversy on Ph.Geek.com under the "Geek News" tab.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28 PM »
Wait what was your website again? Maybe you could plug it a few more times. The two posts in the last hour and the link in your signature weren't enough for me to remember it.
"This is the way."

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Wait what was your website again? Maybe you could plug it a few more times. The two posts in the last hour and the link in your signature weren't enough for me to remember it.

Oh, I'm sorry you didn't get it. It's called Ph.Geek.com. Thanks for asking.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 12:34 AM »
And that pretty much guarantees I'll never go there.  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 06:06 AM »
And that pretty much guarantees I'll never go there.  :D

Well, I know you kidding as you're sure that I was as well. Sorry I plugged our site twice in an hour. Didn't think I was breaking a rule written or unwritten to try to get people to check out our user-driven content. There were threads that dovetailed with things we are doing on the site, that's all. Didn't see any harm.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 02:06 PM »
Probably a safe bet that you should check in with mods before soliciting your personal stuff outside of the classifieds thread.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Saw last month my Netflix bill jumped to $21.60, so my wife pared back the 2 dvds at a time to one dvd because I use it never and she uses it sparingly.

Also I was reading somewhere about Captain Piet's site, there was a link or something and I wanted to go there but can't find it now.  It was like pizzageek.com or penthousegeek.com or something.  Anyone got that info?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Google lists it as http://phgeek.com/
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 01:20 PM »
Google lists it as http://phgeek.com/

This is correct. the Ph. is for style purposes, like Ph.D. Hence, dissertations in geek culture. Potential contributors seem to be finding it just fine.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2023, 03:57 PM »
Well, specifically, those with Netflix (or some other similar type rental arrangement). How many movies do you rent at a time? Do you just watch them casually then return them at your leisure, or do you plow through them like you're on a mission? How many movies are currently in your queue? How do you decide which ones to watch (queue management)?

I've got the two-at-a-time deal from Netflix, and have had it for about 6-7 years. I watch two movies pretty much every weekend, then send 'em back on Monday morning. Sometimes, if I get the new movies by Wednesday, I'll watch one that night, then return it on Thursday morning, which may lead to me receiving another new selection in time to view Saturday night. However, this doesn't always work. I think my preference would be to have at least three at a time, so that I could watch one each night on the weekends (Fri-Sun), but I'm too cheap to spend the extra couple bucks on the new subscription price.

As for queue, I've got 142 in mine, with another 20 in my saved DVDs list. And there's really no rhyme nor reason for my method of adding them. If I see an actor or director or song or whatever that appeals to me, I'll add the movie. I did add all the Academy-nominated movies this year (best picture, actor/actress, supporting, foreign, director, screenplays) so there's some method to my madness there. I usually won't read the reviews before I add movies, so sometimes it pays off, sometimes it tragically doesn't. However, overall I'm glad that I've seen movies that I'd never have seen otherwise. The one thing that has me stumped, though, is what movies to move to the top of the queue each week. If I just leave the queue the way it is, there's going to be movies that I really want to see now, but may not see for a year. But if I keep moving some movies to the top of the queue, others will continue to be pushed down and I'll forget about them and likely never see. It's almost like I need to have a marathon catch-up-type weekend, but that'll never happen.

What a time capsule! Two DVDs at a time! Where did the time go?!