Author Topic: 2008 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 30067 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2008, 11:52 AM »
ahh yes....Lame indeed.  I went with the standard 2 disc version at BB for Ironman - still haven't found the time to watching the second disc.

So I'm hearing that TDK special edition is pretty lame and the bonus features are pretty much worthless.  Would it be best to just stick with the single disc then?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 10, 2008, 04:50 PM »
Go with the WM exclusive single disc version with the Two-Face coin. Just because the coin is so awesome.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2008, 06:31 PM »
I finally stopped at Target today to look at the sets.  The extras on the 2-disk set look okay, the animated shorts are on there with some other stuff.  I don't like the mask case.  I did like the Iron Man case but this one didn't blow me away.

I don't think I'm going to buy it, though.  I gonna hit WM tomorrow night and if they still have the set with the coin I'll probably get that instead.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2008, 08:57 PM »
Holy sh!t--TV on DVD has exploded over the past couple of years, most definitely.  I think the release of the first Simpsons set back in 2001 really got the ball rolling there.  Once Mr. Belvedere: The Complete First Season comes out, I'm seriously re-evaluating the hobby.

Well, it was nice knowing you, Digital Video Disc.

"Look for Mr. Belvedere sometime in the new year."
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:58 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 10, 2008, 11:12 PM »
Go with the WM exclusive single disc version with the Two-Face coin. Just because the coin is so awesome.

Stopped at WM tonight.  Couldn't bring myself to pay $20 for the DVD, a comic, and a coin.  Going to wait for Hollywood Video's BOGO sale on used DVDs.

Mr. Belvedere sucked ass btw - no knock to you Matt so be nice.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #185 on: December 10, 2008, 11:16 PM »
Mr. Belvedere sucked ass btw - no knock to you Matt so be nice.

As the world's #1 Mr. Belvedere fan, I am the epitome of nice.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2008, 09:27 AM »
After a lot of consideration, I just ended up going with the bare bones version of Dark Knight as well (the $15 one).  I usually spend the extra to get the "deluxe version" of movies like this (Star Wars, Indy, Spidey, etc.) - but looking over the extras, and being a little tighter with the budget lately, made me decide that the extras weren't worth the extra $8 (at Target).  When it came down to it, I just wanted the free digital download, but when I really thought about it - I don't really need that either.  I always try to pick up the versions that have that, thinking that "someday" we'll get a newer iPod that plays video - but I know that's a ways off, and even then, how often am I going to look at that tiny screen to watch a movie as long as the Dark Knight.  If I want to watch it on the computer or a portable player, I can just use the DVD.  Plus, eventually I'd like to upgrade to blu-ray (if/when we can afford it), so I thought the re-buy wouldn't sting quite as badly if I got the cheaper version now.

As a side note, the Dark Knight was selling like crazy at Target last night when I picked up our copy (and one for my Dad for Christmas).  It seems like most people were grabbing the single disc, which I suppose appeals more to casual buyers anyways.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #187 on: December 11, 2008, 03:19 PM »
I was able to get the last copy of TDK they had at Wal Mart...it was fullscreen though, I guess I should have preordered :-\

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #188 on: December 11, 2008, 04:04 PM »

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 11, 2008, 09:54 PM »
I was able to get the last copy of TDK they had at Wal Mart...it was fullscreen though, I guess I should have preordered :-\

wow they selling that fast down there? I went to the mall today and all they had left was the DVD versions of TDK all blu-rays were sol out at like every store, I was lucky enough to find a copy at HMV.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 11, 2008, 11:34 PM »

Is the coin metal or plastic? 

I looked at that set today at WM and will probably buy it before the weekend.  I don't think I need to spend the money on the 2-disk edition.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2008, 09:50 AM »
Sort of related here, but IGN has released its list of 25 Movies/Franchises We Want to See on Blu Ray.  Kind of a fun ready, guess what came in at #1? :)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2008, 03:59 PM »
Sort of related here, but IGN has released its list of 25 Movies/Franchises We Want to See on Blu Ray.  Kind of a fun ready, guess what came in at #1? :)

Back Door Sluts 1-9?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2008, 04:02 PM »

Back Door Sluts 1-9?

After what I paid for my bootleg set, that'd make me furious.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2008, 06:07 PM »
I see that Death Car or whatever the hell it's called is being released tomorrow.  I'd really like to know why some DVDs can break Tuesday release dates.