Author Topic: 2008 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 29917 times)

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Went witht he best buy metal version.

do they have a blu ray version of it or just regular dvd?
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2008, 11:21 PM »
What's up with the break on release dates?  Saw plenty of Kungfu Panda out today and saw plenty of both SW Trilogies out a week early.  What happened to Tuesdays?

Sometimes **** comes out on days other than Tuesday.  Such is the case of Kung Fu Panda (or, as the kids say, "KFP").  For example, the Spider-Man DVD was originally released on a Friday back in 2002.  Shrek was another non-Tuesday release.  For future example, the worst album ever recorded will be released two Sundays from now, instead of two Tuesdays from now.

In the case of the Star Wars trilogies, it's just lazy stockboys who don't give a **** about keeping a "street date" for something that was originally released three and four years ago and has already been repackaged and resold several times since then.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2008, 11:35 PM »
Anybody buying Clone Wars today?  I really hated the "movie" but it's Star Wars so I must have it for my DVD collection.   :-\

This was the exact reason why I picked it up today. Plus I need it if when ( ::)) I get the seasons on DVD.

Went witht he best buy metal version.

I picked this one up as well and have a question for you: Did your Best Buy price the tin set at $51.99? I paid $22.99 but thought that was ridiculous for a 2 disc DVD.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2008, 11:42 PM »
I went ahead and ordered Kung Fu Panda and Hellboy II from Deep Discount with the sale.

Band of Brothers on Blu-ray is coming from Amazon, and I can't wait.

Also, if anyone buys the Kung Fu Panda DVD and watches the Secrets of the Furious Five, it was created by the GG side of the studio I work for, and everyone is very proud of how it came out.

EDIT:  Turns out our guys only did the full CG parts with the students - the majority of it was done elsewhere.  Either way, everyone is still proud of how it turned out.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:03 PM by Rob »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2008, 04:50 AM »
The more hardcore DVD buyers (Rob and Matt) probably already know this, but deepdiscountdvd's sale is currently ongoing.  Previous years it was only 20%, this time it's 25% off (with free shipping).  I placed an order on Saturday for the Batman: The complete Animated series (just over $54), Mask of the Phantasm and a few Godzilla movies.  Unfortunately, the animated Batman ones are out of stock, but the sale price will still apply once they restock, whenever that may be.

The sales lasts until November 23rd, so I'm going to place another order for movies that come out in the next few weeks - Kung Fu Panda, Hellboy 2 and Wall-E - that I want to pick up.

DVDTALK and USATODAY work for codes and I'm sure they're a bunch of others also.

Thanks for the tip Mikey. I picked up The Long Goodbye and Forgotten Silver for under $15. Not a bad deal at all.

I had Clone Wars in my hand at Target today but after thinking about it for a little while I decided to pass on it. I really didn't like the 'movie' at all, and I honestly haven't been that impressed with the show either. I was playing Gears of War II last Friday and lost track of the time and ending up missing the episode. I didn't really feel like I missed a whole lot and didn't really have any desire to go back and watch it online. I think that is as good of a place as any for me to stop watching. I decided if I'm not going to watch the show there wasn't anypoint in picking up the movie. $25 saved is always nice too.
"This is the way."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2008, 08:22 AM »
For future example, the worst most anticipated album ever recorded will be released two Sundays from now, instead of two Tuesdays from now.

I can fix that for you.

And the Clone wars was 22.99
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2008, 08:43 AM »
For future example, the worst most anticipated album ever recorded will be released two Sundays from now, instead of two Tuesdays from now.

I can fix that for you.

Worst. . .  Most-anticipated. . .  what's to say it can't be both things at the same time?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2008, 11:26 AM »
What album are you guys talking about?? GNR??

And I picked up the Target Blu-Ray version of Clone Wars. Includes a graphic novel.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2008, 11:33 AM »
What album are you guys talking about?? GNR??

No, we're referring to the Axl Rose album.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2008, 09:05 PM »
The more hardcore DVD buyers (Rob and Matt) probably already know this, but deepdiscountdvd's sale is currently ongoing.  Previous years it was only 20%, this time it's 25% off (with free shipping).  I placed an order on Saturday for the Batman: The complete Animated series (just over $54), Mask of the Phantasm and a few Godzilla movies.  Unfortunately, the animated Batman ones are out of stock, but the sale price will still apply once they restock, whenever that may be.

The sales lasts until November 23rd, so I'm going to place another order for movies that come out in the next few weeks - Kung Fu Panda, Hellboy 2 and Wall-E - that I want to pick up.

DVDTALK and USATODAY work for codes and I'm sure they're a bunch of others also.

Thanks for the tip Mikey. I picked up The Long Goodbye and Forgotten Silver for under $15. Not a bad deal at all.

I had Clone Wars in my hand at Target today but after thinking about it for a little while I decided to pass on it. I really didn't like the 'movie' at all, and I honestly haven't been that impressed with the show either. I was playing Gears of War II last Friday and lost track of the time and ending up missing the episode. I didn't really feel like I missed a whole lot and didn't really have any desire to go back and watch it online. I think that is as good of a place as any for me to stop watching. I decided if I'm not going to watch the show there wasn't anypoint in picking up the movie. $25 saved is always nice too.

I went ahead and ordered this week's new releases with the sale (which for me was KFP and Hellboy II).  I would have ordered Band of Brothers on Blu-ray for $41 but it had already shipped from Amazon.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2008, 09:06 PM »
Too bad we can't use the coupon for upcoming releases...

Is Hellboy II worthy of a blind purchase?

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2008, 09:29 PM »

yes
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2008, 09:58 PM »

Yes it is. It's a shame this opened a week before The Dark Knight. More people would have seen HB, and it just got overshadowed.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2008, 11:43 PM »

Totally.  I enjoyed every minute of it.  I even caved and bought the 3-disc set and I vowed not to buy anymore expensive discs after Ironman (I still haven't found time to get to that second disc)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2008, 12:34 AM »

I loved it - mostly for the bizarre environments and creatures.  After Pan's Labyrinth, Del Toro said something about wanting to make an entire movie that took place in the labyrinth, and this had that sort of feel.

If the sale lasts until next week... I might need to cancel my Wall-E / Southland Tales preorder from Amazon and get them from Deep discount.  There's also Tropic Thunder, Mirrormask, Lucky Number Slevin, and Paris, je t'aime coming out on blu-ray...