Author Topic: The Official I HATE HARRY POTTER THREAD  (Read 6189 times)

obi_robz

Re: The Official I HATE HARRY POTTER THREAD
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2003, 08:31 AM »
I haven’t read the books yet, but I probably will soon. With these sorts of things it’s always hard to tell whether the work is genuinely great or if the huge sales are a result mass herd social behaviour – is it a great book, or is just fashionable to say you like it?

The sociologist in me would like to know which it is.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Re: The Official I HATE HARRY POTTER THREAD
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2003, 09:11 AM »
But hey, I don't like Ewoks, that doesn't make me a bad person, does it?

ditto on that one!
dustrho

Jango Fettish

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2003, 09:47 AM »
Hey, LJ. Harry was 11 when he entered Hogwarts. The others, I'd assume the same, which will make them about 18 when they leave.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2003, 09:59 AM »
And I think your opinion is even more worthwhile that you actually read the first book.  Myself, I think they are pretty swell but that's just me :)

Virex

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2003, 10:26 AM »
there were 1 million copies of the book sold within the first 48 hours of being released to the public.

Actually. . .  One million copies in the first 48 hours is just what Barnes & Noble sold.

The publisher Scholastic is estimating that the book sold five million copies in the U.S., on the first day, and the book grossed more this weekend than the Hulk movie.

Harry Potter sets sales records galore

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2003, 11:49 AM »
I don't mind Harry Potter at all.  Like what others have said at least it has made people want to read and may get them reading other books as well.  So, Potter in my opinion is good for all mankind :)

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2003, 01:57 PM »
Thanks for thelinks Madman! :)

Jango Fettish if he was 11, then he should be 15 inthe new book correct? If that is the case then they should really try to keep the original kids throughout the entre movie series, as well as the adults. Snape played by any other person would not be the same. That is if they do all 7 books, who knows if they will, but if they do, keep all of the cast including the supporting characters.

This is cool though when a book and nt a mvie or toy stirs up so much frenzy in kids and their parents. Harry Potter is definately a good thing.
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2003, 03:09 PM »
I have not read a book in years, I have always hated reading, my entire life. I just started reading the Sorcerer's Stone, and its a good read. Like others are saying, anything that gets kids and adults alike to start reading is something worthwhile.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2003, 03:26 PM »
When I got older I realized how lame Harry Potter was.

I had the same realization about Star Wars when I was sixteen. Welcome to the grown-ups club.

As for Harry Potter, yes; the books are evil and promote evil. J.K. Rowling is herself evil. It's all one unholy mess. Someday I might sit down, Bible at hand, and discover for myself what is so terrible about this series of wordy children's books that has people so hateful, but for now it's just too creepy to even open.

(Harry Potter: Biggest selling tool of Satan since the Ouija board and lawn darts.)
Post sober.

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2003, 05:43 PM »
So, DG, what exactly is it about Harry Potter that you don't like?  All you've said is you think it sucks
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2003, 06:27 PM »
So, DG, what exactly is it about Harry Potter that you don't like?  All you've said is you think it sucks

I just find it very annoying for many reasons. 1. Those damn fan boys 2. It is a trend. 3. J.K. Rowling is a money grubber.

Why you ask? Because she is already rich from the first three books. And she wants to make 7?

That is not wanting to make kids happy, that is MONEY GRUBBING. And yes Lucas is a money grubber too.
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Jango Fettish

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2003, 06:31 PM »
Ehh..I'm confused. You like Star Wars for all the same reasons you hate Harry Potter.

Doesn't quite make sense, and Harry Potter is not[/b[ a trend.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 06:32 PM by Jango Fettish »

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2003, 06:32 PM »
Oh and one last thing. KIDS CAN'T BE WIZARDS DAMN IT. >:(
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2003, 07:13 PM »
yah, what jango said

JD

"Open them.  All of them."

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2003, 09:01 PM »
Dude, no offense, but those are some pretty stupid reasons

1: There are people that get over-excited over just about anything.  For instance, people who collect toys based on a 1977 sci-fi/fantasy movie and then talk about them on internet message boards  ;)

2: The first Harry Potter book came out in 1998.  Its now 2003 and its more popular than ever.  That's not a trend.  New Coke was a trend

3: I'm not sure why earning more money is a bad thing.  I am willing to bet that JK Rowling has always envisioned telling the Harry Potter story over a series of books, not just one.  By your logic, anyone who wants to make money than is needed for a comfortable life, is a money grubber

4: Of course kids can't be wizards, just like people can't have jedi powers, have working lightsabers, and have spaceships that can travel at faster than light speeds.  

Your kung-fu is weak.  You're certainly free to hate Harry Potter if you want, but if I had to guess, you're a teenager trying to be a rebel.  Right now everyone loves Harry Potter, therefore, its pretty easy to be a rebel by hating it
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt