Author Topic: Movies that make you cry  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Movies that make you cry
« on: June 23, 2003, 11:45 AM »
 :'(

I am never ashamed to admit that some movies just have that certain oomph to reduce me to tears every time I see them

From the obvious

The end of Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List

To the not so obvious

I cry every time E.T. goes home, I always wanted to be Elliott, and the fact he died and came back makes for some stellar cinema

Notice how there are 3 Spielberg movies here

I also cried profusely during the schlock fest called City of Angels with Nic Cage and Meg Ryan.  My wife and I were in the process of tying the knot and the song (In the arms of the angel) and moment just hit us right I guess and we both just broke down

I also remember sobbing profusely when Han was put into the carbon chamber...poor guy

Oh and my mom and dad tease me to this day that I used to cry during the Wizard of Oz because I was scared of the flying mokets and I didn't think Dorothy was ever going to make it home

I guess I am a big softy...

:'( :-*
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 11:55 AM by OCB »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Movies that make you cry
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 11:54 AM »
Yes, a rare moment is when I am reduced to tears from a film.  I actually cried at the end of Forrest Gump when he is talking to Jenny at her grave.  

Also the end of Old Yeller.  And when I first saw ET when he is supposed to be dead.  Other than that I think I've been alright when it comes to teary moments in the films.  I am probably forgetting something though.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 11:58 AM »
The Phantom Menace.  'Nuff said.

Other than that, I refuse to list any other movies that made me cry, lest I look like a sniveling sissy boy like Scott here...   :-*

Uh...  I mean, I've never cried at any other movies.  Yeah, that's it.  Just Little House on the Prairie on occassion...   :o

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 12:02 PM »
Favorite Little House on the Prarie story...

The Last epsidoe, they blow up the town right.  My sister was a huge fan of the show and was crying her eyes out, my brother and me were cheering every house they blew up louder and louder.  To this day she is a little ticked we ruined the last show for her...classic comedy there

Old Yeller is a great one too...

Crying shows you are in touch with your emotions, chicks dig it :-*

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 12:19 PM »
fast and furious when the destroyed that dodge charger
it was just too much
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 12:19 PM by paploo »
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Virex

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 12:23 PM »
First two three four that spring to mind (besides the afore-mentioned E.T.):

(SLIGHT SPOILERS PROBABLY LAY AHEAD)

Field of Dreams:  "Dad?  Wanna have a catch?"

Magnolia:  Mostly during Quiz Kid Donnie Smith's monologue to the bartender, but a couple other places as well.

American Beauty:  The aftermath of Lester's death--especially his wife crying all over his clothes in their closet, and the shot of his daughter as a little girl, with the sparkler).  

Philadelphia:  Home movies of Andrew as a little boy at his wake, with Neil Young's "Philadelphia" playing in the background.

There are others that affect me to some degree, but none really as much as the ones above.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 12:24 PM »
I haven't cried in any movies but have came close to it while watching:
Pearl Harbor (During the attack)

I'm not use of anyother times.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2003, 12:44 PM »
Silent Running

obi_robz

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2003, 01:18 PM »
In The Two Towers, when the Rohirrim, led by Gandalf, ride down into the Helm’s Deep battle.

Also when Aragorn says, “this is a good sword, Haleth, son of Hama…there is always hope”. And also when Gamling says to Theoden “your men, my Lord, will follow you to whatever end”. Plus throughout Theoden’s “Where is the horse and the rider?” speech.

And when Gandalf returns, and Theoden’s “no parent should have to bury their child” line. And Haldir turning up at Helms Deep with the elves, and Elrond warning Arwen of the emotional dangers of falling in love with a human.

The appearance of Shadowfax. Smeagol remembering his real name. The look of determination on Pippin’s face when the Ents decide to go to war and Treebeard’s “it is likely that we go to our doom” line.

Sam’s “it’s like in the great stories, mister Frodo..the one’s that really mattered” speech. The music, “Gollum’s Song” at the end of the film.

I was crying for most of that film actually. The same with AOTC, but not in the same way ;D

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2003, 01:19 PM »
E.T.
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
(I think I should stop watching tear-jerking Spielberg films)
 And Braveheart, at the end.

Also, Boromir's death in Fellowship of the Ring. Also Gandalf's line "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 01:21 PM by HMI »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2003, 01:25 PM »
I cried at the end of Braveheart too, nice one :'(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2003, 01:32 PM »
I also cried when I watched the Star Wars Holiday Special.  ;D  

Offline Depmode

• Jedi Initiate
  • Utinni!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2003, 01:56 PM »
:::Stares at this thread::: What the heck. >:(
James
DepmodeETS@aol.com
AIM: DepmodeETS
My lego collection: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Depmode

obi_robz

Re: Re: Movies that make you cry
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2003, 01:58 PM »
Also, Boromir's death in Fellowship of the Ring. Also Gandalf's line "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

That reminds me... :)

TFOTR:

Both of the above, specifically when Aragon acknowledges “our people” and the look of hope on Boromir’s face.

Also when Gandalf tells Elrond that “it is in Men, that we must place our hope”, plus Arwen’s Elvish line “the Shadow does not hold sway yet…not over you…not over me”.

The whole Extended Edition gift giving scene, especially how it makes sense of Gimli’s line about Galadriel that “all who look upon her, fall under her spell”.

And the choral music in the background as the Fellowship leave Gandalf in Moria is heartbreaking. It’s the look of complete fear on Aragorn’s face when he realises he must be the leader that gets me, along with Merry and Pippin lying on the ground in despair. It makes the scene of Gandalf’s return in TTT even better.

Can you tell that I quite like LOTR? ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2003, 02:14 PM »
Why they ever put Gandalf in any of the TTT is mindboggling to me, casual Joe Blow fan would have been so freaked out by his return that it would have a made a cool moment even cooler.

I just remembered a rather sobbing TV show...When Dr Green died on ER last year...gut wrenching

That Philadelphia moment also got me too Virex