Author Topic: POTF2 12" Collector Series Question  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
POTF2 12" Collector Series Question
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:19 AM »
I was just looking for some opinions on the 12" collector series line of figures from the POTF range.  I know, of course, that the recent Sideshow offerings are much, much better - but are Hasbro/Kenner's offerings any good?  I really only picked up a few 12" figures throughout Hasbro's run (Han and Luke Stormtrooper, Endor Han, Dagobah Luke w/Yoda, Yoda), and haven't ever been into the line too much (focusing on 3 3/4" instead).  I've been on the fence with picking up one of the 12" Indy figures that are out now, but that made me think that I wanted an ANH Han to put alongside it at least.  Then I started thinking about picking up more of the iconic characters (probably mainily from ANH).

Now, like I said, if I wanted to do it right I'd have preordered the Sideshow versions of both Han and Indy, but I just can't afford $50-$90 for each figure, as much as I'd like to.  I picked up the Bespin Han earlier in the line, and it is amazing, but I just can't afford to keep up (unless I gave up everything else maybe).  Anyways, are any of the figures from this run (or even later ones) decent?  Is there a good ANH Han Solo anyone could recommend?  Thanks for any advice, I'm just not very knowledgeable about the 12" line(s).

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: POTF2 12" Collector Series Question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:14 PM »
Sideshow has definitely outdone everything Hasbro did, but Hasbro did a good job on R2 and 3PO, I also liked their Electronic Vader.

I have an Endor Han and the Hoth Han with Tauntaun which look pretty good, and decent play value (that's what my wife's nephews play with when they come over), but I wouldn't display them near my Sideshow figures.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 07:16 AM »
As one of their first offerings, the 12" ANH Han isn't that bad for the quality of what Hasbro/Kenner had put out back then.  The head sculpt is OK.  I have a full set of the line, but they are all boxed up somewhere.  I just check out any of the sites that have detailed pictures to see which ones you would be interested in.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:15 AM »
I think the sculpting and outfits of the original 12" figs are really good.  What you will be unimpressed with is the lack of articulation.  Most have about the same limited range of motion as barbie dolls, so as long as you're going to just display them in box or loose, standing straight, they're pretty good. 

I haven't opened my sideshow figs, but I have much of the Original 12" figs open/loose.  I just posted pics of them the other day - scroll way to the bottom of JediJman's Collection to see a good chunk of them loose.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:10 AM »
Sideshow has definitely outdone everything Hasbro did, but Hasbro did a good job on R2 and 3PO, I also liked their Electronic Vader.

I have an Endor Han and the Hoth Han with Tauntaun which look pretty good, and decent play value (that's what my wife's nephews play with when they come over), but I wouldn't display them near my Sideshow figures.

I took some time yesterday to look at some pics online of both the older Hasbro 12" offerings, and Sideshow's offerings so far.  Granted, I have the Sideshow Bespin Han, so I know they do quality work - but looking at pictures of both lines back and forth really brings the differences to light.  I went ahead and placed a preorder for the Han Solo (Smuggler) figure from Sideshow, although it was through BBTS, so I don't know how that works out if you don't order directly from Sideshow.  I don't know if I'll keep the order or not, but I wanted to have it "just in case", so we'll see.  If it works out, it would be nice to at least start off getting this Han, as well as the Tatooine Luke and ANH Leia.  Displaying those three together would be kind of cool.  I'm sure I could get 10+ Hasbro figures for what I'd spend on the three Sideshow ones, but I'm not sure what I want to do.  I might not be able to afford to do either (if this hits during the big July 26th blitz), but it would be nice to do.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it.  I might still look into the Hasbro figures due to the price difference, and even if I do get a few Sideshow figures, I might take a look at grabbing a 3PO/R2 from the Hasbro line since those don't look too bad.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2008, 01:03 AM »
I liked quite a few of the Hasbro 12 inchers.  Their character selections were the thing that annoyed me.  They just had way to many Lukes and Hans.  But I liked most of their creatures and outfits on many of the characters.  Their likenesses are just to Ken/Barbie on the humans...not all of them of course.  I sure miss that $20-25 price though.