Author Topic: Is the line a Success?  (Read 65884 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Is the line a Success?
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:58 PM »
I know it's only been about two weeks, but I'm curious if people are seeing this line as "successful?"

On one hand I see some stores picked clean, which would make me think that they are moving fast, but I don't see the restocking happening, which makes me wonder if the retailers aren't into it.  I thought for sure the pegs would be loaded this week with the relase of the film.  Any thoughts?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Is the line a Success?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 09:09 PM »
I believe so far, yes it is.  You cannot find a $20 vehicle here, at all, and TRU sold out of the truck before the sale even started, and the staff car during the sale (TRU.com anyway).

Deluxe figures seemingly fly off the shelf here, especially at Target and WM's I've been to...  Basic figures I would say have sold through to only Mutt Williams figures at Wal-Mart no less than 5 times I've been to my nearby WM since the line was released, and they've gotten multiple heavy restock to where figures are falling off pegs.

Like Star Wars, I'm seeing lots of little kids looking stuff over, and walking away with a deluxe and a figure, or a couple basic figures...  Will it last though?  I dunno on that one, but so far I think it's done pretty well.  I didn't see people giving a care about SW in 2002 like they're paying attention to Indy stuff right now, so that's surprising to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:45 PM »
I would put a cautious "yes" on this one...for now.  We'll know by Sunday, though.  If the movie hits big we should see a rush to the toy aisle Saturday afternoon after the kids see it.  If it sucks, well...

I was just talking about this with a friend.  I think the line, as a whole, would be a complete success if we got at least 2 waves of figures from each film plus a half dozen or so more Deluxe and I think there were at least 3 other vehicles that came to mind for the short list.

Run till about the end of 2009.  If this movie really tanks, it'll probably be over by Christmas. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45 PM »
So far, yeah.  Stuff is kind of light - no trucks to be found - and the deluxe figs do move much faster than the basic figs, though that depends on where you go.  This weekend will be the big test though, for sure. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 11:41 PM »
So far, absolutely! 

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:27 AM »
Hard to tell here really, most stores have restocked but some either haven't or haven't ordered any new product. It's hard to say right now, but I should have a definate answer later in the week.

I do know that Raiders toys are selling better than Kingdom... at least for now.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 09:41 AM »
Like others have said, I think its doing pretty well.  The deluxe and vehicles are the first to go around here as well, and are often completely gone (vehicles in particular).  The basic line and Adventure Heroes seem to be selling decently too.  It also seems like the Raiders stuff is going a bit quicker right now too, although its all selling.  It was already mentioned, but the next couple weeks should be more telling.  I saw a fair amount of Iron Man stuff out on the pegs until the weekend it was released, and I don't think I've seen a figure since, aside from maybe the Tony Stark/removable armor one here and there.  That's when you see if a line will take off, after the movie is out.  By comparison, the back endcap at Target is still packed full of Prince Caspian figures, so I don't know that those are selling much.

I also think that if the line makes it until the end of 2009, that will be a great success.  Unless there is another movie, series, cartoon or something in the pipline - they should be able to get the four movies pretty well covered in that time frame.  Heck, the lineup this year isn't too bad, and an additional wave for each movie should get us most of what we were hoping for.  I haven't seen kids looking too closely at the figures yet, although I've seen several look at the whip.  That role play stuff just seems really popular with the kids.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:26 AM »
They seem to be doing fine in my area.  Most of the figures seem to move pretty well.  Yeah, I don't see to many vehicles sitting around.  I finally found the Jungle Cutter yesterday.  Now, i don't go out every day or every other day looking for them.  Maybe once or twice in an 8 day period.  But they definately are not sitting there warming the pegs or shelves. 

Now some other stuff continues to sit there like Incredible Hulk and Speed Racer stuff. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:42 PM »
That's true the Hulk and Speed Racer stuff is sitting. The Indy stuff as well as the Ironman stuff seems to move but not fast. I'd consider it a success after the movie has left the theaters. Speed Racer was huge dud of a movie and the toy sales are definately reflecting this.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 03:57 PM »
I will say as for the line to us Collector's it is a Yes,  Most figures and Deluxe go fast I have yet to see the Truck or cutter.  I have notice more often then not the Crystal skull stuff sits longer then the Raiders.   This weekend will be the test.   I hope it lasts long enough to get a melty toht.  and a few good waves of the older movies
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 07:50 PM »
A couple of you pointed out something that I'm seeing also; the RotLA figures are selling faster thant the Crystal Skull stuff with the exception of the Cemetary Warrior, which I haven't seen at retail, and the Ugha Warrior, which I've only seen a couple times.

But the RotLA figures have 25 years of history to go on.

But on positive news; 4 hours left till I head to the theater!

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:44 PM »
Although the line is young, I'd say yes.

Basic Figures
The ROTLA does indeed sell faster, with both Indys being very HTF. The only pegwarmers around here are Belloq, Cairo Swordsman, and occasionally Marion and the German Soldier. The KOTCS wave sells at about the same rate, but both Mutt figures really stink up the pegs. The HTF figures would be the Ruskies, I've only seen Irina and Dovchenko once, and I haven't seen the standard Russian Soldier at all. Kind of funny when compared to the easy-to-find Germans.

Deluxe Figures
The two-packs are the worst sellers, with the Temple Traps, Horse, and LC Motorcycle being virtually nonexistent, especially at Targets.

Vehicles
Very rare, I've only seen the Troop Truck once, and haven't seen the Troop Car or Jungle Cutter at all. I wonder whether these are selling out because they're popular, or Hasbro is producing limited quantities, as this is a new line.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 10:27 PM »
Is it selling better or is it a more cautious approach that stores have taken?  Clearly this isn't a Phantom Menace release but it doesn't seem to be a Hulk, FF or Superman either.  I think the sales bode well, but I think the absence of stock is more a reflection of retailers and possibly Hasbro being much more pragmatic than sales being through the roof. 

Up here I can find most anything I want that's made it up here (a couple of KOTCS figs haven't been found in Canada yet) but otherwise there's nothing I can't get my hands on.  Part of that is our higher retail price, but not all of it because the retail prices are no worse for regular figures than Star Wars, virtually the same audience and the deluxe are all at $12.99 now, so a great price point for us.  The truck/jeep are a bit steep at $29, but the norm here. 

I'll cautiously say yes, a success but the movie results will really tell the tale.  Thankfully it's no speed racer. :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 12:00 AM »
I can't speak for everyone, but around here Wal-Mart's got as much space devoted to it leading up to the movie release as Star Wars, which has been fairly significant, plus this week they've now put out island displays...  Yet to see if these will sell-through, but the movie-blitz is on for it now in full swing here. 

I'd say they've now got a full row of pegspace more than Star Wars at my nearest WM as of tonight, though the last big blitz of figures haven't sold through yet.  The deluxe are down, once again, to German 2-packs and Marion/Arab 2-packs.  They had tons of all the 2nd assortment of deluxe just 3 days ago, and man those are ALL gone now.  No traps, no horses/Indy sets, and no German cycles. 

I'm sort of shocked the German 2-packs aren't moving faster.  They're a great deal...

If you're having trouble finding Russians, there's a pretty solid reason.  The Russian figure's pretty decent for World War 2, and the military guys are gobbling that figure up.  I found one tonight in the island display, but otherwise I've seen only 3 Russian soldiers on the floor.  The officer sits more, but the soldier is in high demand by a whole other separate group.  They're also buying up German cycle deluxe, and both $20 vehicles...  So I think the added group that isn't even into IJ stuff buying that is helping move some things along.  I know I'm in that category as well in that I want more than 2 4wd German cars and 1 truck just for the desert chase...  And I just ordered 4 German cycles off TRU.com recently to get the discount.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 10:50 PM »
If you're having trouble finding Russians, there's a pretty solid reason. 

Because AK-47s always come with bayonets and that makes them cool?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.