Author Topic: Star Wars (A New Hope) Thoughts  (Read 896 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Star Wars (A New Hope) Thoughts
« on: May 28, 2008, 04:22 PM »
I always like reading everyone's opinions of the individual movies, and since the original Star Wars' birthday was this past weekend - it got me to thinking about Star Wars/ANH.  I was too young to have seen this originally in theatres (I was born a month after release), so my first experience was on VHS (and later, the SE in theatres).  It was amazing then, and still is now to me.  Its kind of nice how it is really the most "self contained" movie of the Saga, since at the time they didn't know how it would do.  I was re-watching "Empire of Dreams" on the History Channel over the weekend, and its really neat seeing the "hoopla" that went on after it hit.  It must have been a fun time to have lived through that.  Anyways, I'll post more about the actual movie later - but I just wanted to see what everyone's opinions (or memories) of Star Wars (or A New Hope, if you prefer) are these days.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi Master
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Star Wars (A New Hope) Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:45 PM »
A lot of great memories.  I was six years old when this movie hit theaters and I remember my dad taking me and my brother to see it.  Dad had to read the opening crawl to me because my reading skills weren't good enough to keep up at the time.  I originally thought the Stormtroopers were the good guys (because they were wearing white), until Darth Vader came onscreen for the first time!

I think we saw that movie 50 times in the theater or drive-in over the next two years.  It was playing forever it seemed compared to other movies!  There was no VHS really at the time, so it's not like we could rent or purchase it.

Lots of fun childhood memories attached to that film.   :D
Peacekeeper, when it absolutely, positively has to be nuked in 30 minutes or less.  Or the next nuke's free!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi General
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars (A New Hope) Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2008, 10:01 AM »
The original is a perfect example of how to make a movie that doesn't dumb down to it's audience and grows with them. Lightning in a bottle, though I think it happened by accident. And the best part is, my oldest girl is the same age I was when this movie came out and having seen all six movies, she thinks the OT is way better than the PT. That's because of the quality of the material whether she realizes it or not.
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."