Author Topic: POTF2 Playsets: Thoughts?  (Read 15107 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
POTF2 Playsets: Thoughts?
« on: June 7, 2008, 12:25 PM »
I recently purchased the POTF2 "Death Star Escape" playset from an Amazon seller, and was curious on how you felt about the POTF2 playset line. Both Death Star playsets I thought were fairly well done, even collector friendly, minus the missile firing/oversized guns. The Endor set, despite the undersized Bunker door, seems pretty nice, and all the Ewok catapults/rocks/etc is a nice pack in. This is how I think Hasbro should do playsets in the future. $15-20, modular, collector-yet-kid friendly, accurate, etc. Thoughts?

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
Re: POTF2 Playsets: Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2008, 01:16 PM »
the vintage stuff looks better than this. it seems like hasbro took a step way back and not in a good way. i did buy some items but just because it was so long since you where able to buy star wars before the big boom in SW toys, i think we would of bought just about anything they pushed on us.
He's no good to me open

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: June 8, 2008, 01:32 AM »
I have the Endor and Hoth sets set up on shelves in my collection room.  They's pretty good...but probably could have been better.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 02:20 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 02:17 AM »
They're not something I'm fond of...  I think with some work, the DS one could be modified if you had a few (the hallways that is) into something longer and more accurate to a cut-away of the Death Star Hallway.

The swing to freedom is meh...  Has some doors though.  For customizing it's maybe useful.

The Endor and Hoth sets are, to me, pointless and worth nothing to little...  They're tiny, and just don't look right to me.  The bunker door matches SW miniatures, and the gun turret for Hoth does somewhat, but they're weak.

If there was a decent SW playset (to me), it's the Theed Generator...  It's fairly accurate in details, it's a decent size, it's for an action sequence everyone loved...  I think it's pretty good.  You get a couple and put them together, and they look pretty decent.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 05:31 PM »
Potf2 forgot a Dagobah playset
It would be nice one for the Legacy Collection that include lizards, logs, the cave
probably the duelist (luke and vader spirit), the stones and containers with leverege
it must be an update from the vintage Dagobah with colorful cardstock where necessary

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:31 PM »
I'd love to see interlocking death star and other playsets.  Not sure why we've never gotten anything like this - seems to come up often enough.  I'd take almost anything between independent sets or pack in figure items.  Heck, the ROTS bases would have been pretty awesome if you could just fit them together properly.  Ideally, I would love to get a $20 "base" playset and then the figures all come with small add-on sections to expand it, but I really doubt we'll ever see that come to fruition.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 04:52 PM »
I enjoyed the Death Star Escape set enough to build an entire Death Star playset around it...

I was a big fan of all the playsets back when I got them, but they haven't come back out of storage since I moved.

Actually, I think I much preferred the Cantina and Jabba's Palace pop-up displays to any of the plastic playsets. If they were looking to go back to a line of environments, I'd prefer them to explore them more to the playsets.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 09:18 PM »
That's awesome!  What did you use for the base structure?  Looks very Death-Star-ish.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2008, 08:15 PM by Jeff »
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Thanks. I don't mean to highjack the thread, but that Death Star really is a love-letter to the POTF2 Playsets, so I had to share.
That's awesome!  What did you use for the base structure?  Looks very Death-Star-ish.

Everything except the detention block, compactor base, and the bridge platforms (from the 25th anniversary Luke and Leia set) is hand made (by me) out of foamcore, foamies, and odds-and-ends. The thread detailing the creation of each level (with many more pics) can be found right here. The bottom level will be five years old next month, holy crap!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 09:43 AM »
My thoughts on the POTF2 playsets can be summed up in the difference between the Vintage and POTF2 Hoth sets. The POTF2 one just screams cheep and for some reason, kind of lazy. When you put the two side by side, you can see a vast difference in quality in terms of design and materials used.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #10 on: July 6, 2008, 02:39 AM »
I liked the Death Star playsets. I used to set up some dioramas with them. I took out the firing missiles, though.

My favorite was probably the Detention Block playset. Mine's been in storage for years, but I like it with all those beefy POTF2 figures battling it out. I remember thinking these were a start for a big Death Star playset, but that obviously never panned out. Man, can you imagine the size of that thing had Hasbro pumped out 1-2 modular DS playsets a year for the last thirteen years?
« Last Edit: July 6, 2008, 01:42 PM by inadvertent imitation »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 6, 2008, 10:23 AM »
What do you guys think of the old cardboard cut out sets like the Jawa Sandcrawler?    I was never a big fan of them, but they've been growing on me.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 6, 2008, 01:59 PM »
Are you talking about the Vintage Land of the Jawas playset?  I had that as well as a Hoth set that I think came from Sears; there was one more similar to the Land of the Jawas playset that was an AT-AT, but the one I had was just a backdrop of the Echo Base hangar.  All three are pretty sweet.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 6, 2008, 09:35 PM »
Are you talking about the Vintage Land of the Jawas playset?  I had that as well as a Hoth set that I think came from Sears; there was one more similar to the Land of the Jawas playset that was an AT-AT, but the one I had was just a backdrop of the Echo Base hangar.  All three are pretty sweet.

Yeah those!  I think there was a fairly rare Bespin set as well.  Everything comes with a cardboard backdrop these days, but they had little elevators and the base to make a scene - kind of cool, but I guess that's outdated by today's standards.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 6, 2008, 09:58 PM »
The Land of the Jawas and similar ESB playset (It was an AT-AT) both had elevators into their holds.  The Bespin set as well as the second Hoth set (the one that was a backdrop of the hangar I had) did not.  All but the Bespin one had the same plastic base with a small "cave" that could hide R2-D2 and a spinning stand that activated a switch that could knock a figure over.  I had tons of fun "shooting" stormtroopers that way!

The Land of the Jawas also came with the escape pod.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.