Author Topic: JD Fantasy Football 2008  (Read 61385 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NFL Offseason 2008
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 12:22 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think we can assign one spot and let the other ones be random.  I think we'd have to come up with our own draft order.

If it were a keeper league and we had the same 12 or 14 participants every single year I'd say let's go for it, but since it's not, I'd say we leave it random.
Oh, not just the first pick, its all 12 in order of finish (I realize my post implied just the first pick was predetermined

If new guys take the spots, that is random for who they took over for, or I've seen where they are tucked at the end of the 1st round in order they signed up etc

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 01:37 PM »
You'd be lucky to get Tomlinson with the 2nd pick.   :)

I know...that was the joke.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:37 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 01:41 PM »
Oh, not just the first pick, its all 12 in order of finish (I realize my post implied just the first pick was predetermined

If new guys take the spots, that is random for who they took over for, or I've seen where they are tucked at the end of the 1st round in order they signed up etc

That's an interesting idea.  I'm in other leagues where we do this and another where its random.  Thing is - what if three guys drop out and they had the 1st, 6th, and 12 picks?  How do you assign the three newbies who replace them?  I'm with Rob - if it was a keeper league and you had the same guys year after year, I think this would make sense, but if teams are turning over fairly regualrly, random is the only fair way to do it.  I also don't think you can set up a rule like this for current year draft - it would have to apply to next year. Otherwise people who vote for it now are basing their votes on where they would end up drafting since we already know how people performed last year.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Football 2008
« Reply #33 on: August 4, 2008, 01:26 PM »
What do the newbies need to do to get ready for the draft?

Do we pick the different players by position or are all the players just lumped together?

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 4, 2008, 11:15 PM »
What do the newbies need to do to get ready for the draft?

Do we pick the different players by position or are all the players just lumped together?

All the players are lumped together. Be sure you have any/all research done prior to the draft, 'cause there isn't much time between picks.

Also, if we end up having Yahoo randomly select drafting order, you only find out soemthing like 10 minutes prior to the draft where exactly you are drafting - so be prepped to draft out of any spot.
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 4, 2008, 11:58 PM »
I think it's 30 minutes before draft time that you can log in and see the order.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 5, 2008, 12:37 AM »
I think it's 30 minutes before draft time that you can log in and see the order.

Any way to have this figured out further in advance?  I'm all for surprises, but might help folks out if they know what position they are drafting in at least a day or two in advance...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 5, 2008, 12:47 AM »
Nope, can't change that setting.  I think Yahoo's official statement is you only find out 15 minutes in advance, but Rob's correct that it is usually closer to 30 minutes or somewhere in between the two. 

Settings, settings, settings people.  Only Rob and Dressel picked a side.  No one else does, the standard settings we use go forward.  I'm not dicking around with them on the last day, so decide by August 15th.  M'kay? :-*  No vote means status quo. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #38 on: August 5, 2008, 06:38 AM »
Here are my thoughts on the scoring:

I'd agree with the following stuff...
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (1)
Fumble Recovery (1)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Passing Yards (50 yards per point; 1 point at 300 yards)
Rushing Yards (10 yards per point; 1 point at 100 yards)
Reception Yards (10 yards per point; 1 point at 100 yards)
Return Touchdowns (6)
Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards (0)

I disagree with these...

Interception (-1)
Fumble (-1)
Passing TDs (4)

And I think that they should look like this:

Int (-2)
Fum (-2)
Passing TD (+6)

If we are going to be giving yardage bonuses than I think we need to up the turnover penalty a bit. In the case of a running back a fumble should cost more than just the point equivalent of 10 yards of rushing. If a back were to have 100 yds rushing with a TD, he would be getting 17 points. That's a pretty big score for one player for close to a typical days work for a good #1 back. If that player were to however have 3 fumbles lost that game as well they should lose more than just 3 points... Turnovers really hurt teams in game and I think we should be penalized for them too. I'd kind of like to see the value of Passing TDs raised up to +6 as well, but if no one else wants that I could live with them set at 4.

I liked JediJman's defensive scoring suggestion, but would tweak it a little bit:

Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (4)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (2)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-2)

I've played in a league where we had scoring like that, and I enjoyed it. A defense can have a great game in real life and completely shut the opposing team down, but if they don't get sacks, fumbles, or INTs we don't get squat for it.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2008, 06:38 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 5, 2008, 05:35 PM »
I'm okay with all of the above EXCEPT passing TDs at 6 points.  I don't think a passer should get as many points as a skill player for their TDs - just makes that position more valuable than the others and I'd rather see more equality.  If you want to raise the penalty on interceptions and fumbles to -2pts, I can live with that but would prefer -1.  Turnovers frequently result from the actions of a solid defense versus a player mistake, so I'd rather see a lower overall punishment. 

Brent - can you clarify what you want us to vote on?  I see Rob's scoring recos, but don't know how much this differs from current.  Since there is alignment on most of the scoring, maybe we should vote on a few different chunks of scoring options (QB/Skill vs. Kickers vs. Defenses as three separate votes for example) rather than an option A or B.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 5, 2008, 09:38 PM »
When I proposed the new scoring idea, I crafted it in a way that I think is balanced with a little more credence given to overall production and a little less to straight touchdown production.  I didn't really intend a big discussion that dissects the proposal point for point. 

So unless some consensus magically evolves over the next day or two, I'll just vote to leave it alone too. :)

I'm also strongly against the idea of 6 points for a QB.  Tom Brady alone would have scored like 500 points last season if that were the case.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2008, 09:39 PM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 6, 2008, 12:04 AM »
IF that's the case, can somone list out the current/last year's scoring for comparison?  I might campaign for Rob's scoring depending on what you guys used last year.  :-X

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 6, 2008, 12:07 AM »
The current league settings should be the same as what we did last year.   :)

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 6, 2008, 11:14 PM »

Settings, settings, settings people.  Only Rob and Dressel picked a side.  No one else does, the standard settings we use go forward.  I'm not dicking around with them on the last day, so decide by August 15th.  M'kay? :-*  No vote means status quo. 

I'm pretty much indifferent between the two scoring systems - all I'm really concerned with is having things set in time to work out my draft plan a bit ahead of time.
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 6, 2008, 11:18 PM »
The current league settings should be the same as what we did last year.   :)

Yeah, but I wasn't in the league last year.   :-*