Author Topic: JD Fantasy Football 2008  (Read 61373 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Football 2008
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2008, 05:29 PM »
When did the draft date change?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Hasn't it always been for Wednesday?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2008, 09:43 PM »
When did the draft date change?

Technically the draft date did change, but it changed about 2 months ago or so.  It has always been on a Wednesday (as all JD drafts now seem to be) but when I registered the league I could only get an early August date, which I don't think anyone wanted.  I wanted to move it later into August so we could see most of the preseason and when I moved it, the latest date was this Wednesday.  I think maybe some later dates might have come available, but I wasn't really looking.  And I didn't really want to change it a second time. 

So yeah, the draft is this Wednesday at 8:30 PM Central. 

edit: Huh, I thought I'd posted the draft stuff in here, but I guess not.  Sorry.  I wonder if I posted in the NFL thread instead?  I don't think I can move the draft, everything's pretty much full.  Anyone else surprised by this other than ruiner? (again, sorry about that)

edit2:  apparently that change of date was one hell of a conversation inside my own, lonely head.  How the hell did everyone else know the draft was this Wednesday?  Jeezus, I really am losing it. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:47 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2008, 08:13 AM »
The draft date can be found when you log into yahoo.  At one time it was scheduled for last night.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2008, 10:25 AM »
That must have been a long time ago, because I set up another league for another forum that I use and I have it set up for tonight, and I did that so that it would be before this one.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2008, 01:46 PM »
edit2:  apparently that change of date was one hell of a conversation inside my own, lonely head.  How the hell did everyone else know the draft was this Wednesday?  Jeezus, I really am losing it. 

I think you posted the notice to join up along with league ID and password.  When you sign up, the site tells you the draft time and date - that's how I recall it anyway.  I have had it on the calendar as tomorrow night at 8:30 for the last month or so, so no conflict here.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2008, 02:20 PM »
I must be losing it then.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2008, 06:00 PM »
I must be losing it then.

You and every other Bears fan.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2008, 06:07 PM »
i will be in air on a plane at the draft time. i've set pre ranks and i'll check in after i land :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27 AM »
i will be in air on a plane at the draft time. i've set pre ranks and i'll check in after i land :)

Ugh - I could never draft that way.  Congrats on your 5 Tight ends.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2008, 10:17 AM »
The auto-draft system factors in who's already on your team before it makes your pick.  You won't get a second TE until all the other starting spots are filled.

Maybe it means you draft a kicker higher than you'd like though, not sure how that works.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2008, 10:46 AM »
The auto draft system works by filling all your slots for your team prior to picking bench players.  But if you rank 50 running backs first and at least three are available through the first three rounds, you'd get the best available running back with the first three draft picks the auto-draft makes (2 RB and would fill the W/R slot). 

Auto-draft then goes on to fill the other slots according to whatever ranking you have.  If the next highest ranked player available when autodraft selects is a TE, then you'll get a TE.  If it is a QB, then a QB and so on. 

Once any particular slot is full though, it goes on to combine the "need" with the ranking, so if a QB you wanted was ranked highly (say Philip Rivers) but was already selected and the next highest player you had ranked was Lamont Jordan and you still had an RB position empty, it would take Jordan rather than another QB.  It's searching to fill your needs but match your rankings too. 

But the likely draft routine would go RB/WR/QB/WR/RB and WR or RB to fill the first six slots, assuming someone's rankings are fairly normal and the players are available.  What gets picked where depends on who is available and ranked higher at any position. 

It's not all bad sometimes to be honest.  The draft is a crapshoot no matter what, especially once you're into the season and injuries factor in.  And Dressel's comments about the timing of the playoffs from last year become relevant too.  I autodrafted only once, the first year I played, over in the spawn board.  I got first pick, had LT, but also ended up with Rudi Johnson, Chad Johnson and a bunch of other studs.  I finished first and lost the first round of the playoffs, won the consolation by huge margins. 

I wouldn't want to do it, but the results aren't horrible necessarily.  Sometimes they work out pretty good.  But yeah, Theo will draft a kicker probably before the rest of us.  Probably a D before most and probably a TE earlier as well.  Otherwise it won't change too much.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2008, 12:56 PM »
Okay, but couldn't it fill in all your starting spots, then conceviably draft you multiple bench tight ends if those were the next highest on your board?  Do we have roster limits by position?

Speaking of which, how many guys on the total roster and what is the starting lineup?  Assuming its something like this:

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 RB/WR Flex
1 TE
1 Kicker
1 Def

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2008, 01:00 PM »
Yep - plus a bunch of bench spots.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2008, 01:03 PM »
So 9 starters and maybe 6 bench spots?

Can we use a TE as our flex position?