Author Topic: JD Fantasy Football 2008  (Read 61515 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Football 2008
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2008, 03:58 AM »
  Dressel's team would be a contender if this were 2006. 

Hey what's up newbie.  Fact check for you - 5 fantasy titles, and I'm always a contender.

But unlike basketball and baseball, this football game is ruled by 2 things first and foremost: injuries and luck.

The luckiest uninjured team has the edge, and none of us know who that's gonna be yet.  And not to put emphasis on "luck" more than "injuries," but in last year's Super Bowl, my team of Plaxico Burress, Reggie Wayne, Steven Jackson, Jamal Lewis, Antoni Gates, and Chicago D was beaten by Chris Redman and Pierre Thomas.

Having said that, if you think that your team has an edge over my team to the point where you proclaim that my team would only be good if it was 2006, you definitely don't know what's going on.  My team can drop 100 on your ass on any given Sunday, chief.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2008, 04:03 AM »
Yes, he's kidding.  AP at #3 was a nice gift - I can't believe Brady went #2. 

I think you might be underestimating his man love for T.O.

I will just say this.  Forget the conventional wisdom for a second.  Owens and A-Pete put up comparable numbers last year.  Just about the same fantasy points.  As a matter of fact, Owens ranked 7th in fantasy points scored and Peterson below him at 8th.  The Vikings already said that they're looking to keep A-Pete fresh and spell him with 200 touches from Chester Taylor.  So A-Pete is not Tomlinson, he's not Westbrook, and he's not even Jamal Lewis in my opinion.  He's in a time share.

Talent-wise, Owens has every bit of a chance to outscore A-Pete, and not for nothin' but Larry Johnson who I got at pick 13 has got the same chance to outscore Peterson that Owens does.

We'll see how it unfolds.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:09 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2008, 08:35 AM »

That damn Brady pick confused the hell out of me.  Not saying it was bad, I just thought it was going to go LT/AP/BW and I'd end up with Addai. 

Yeah, that was me - should have picked a RB with that #2 pick but I thought I'd mix things up and go with Brady.

Anything can happen.  I like the way NE runs their organization, it's a business to them - they're dedicated and I think they're still pissed from last year.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:36 AM by ruiner »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Figures I get the first overall pick and I have to miss the damn draft... ::)

Oh well, the computer seems to have done a decent job, I'm not sure I really needed two Defences, two kickers, and two TEs though. I may be interested doing some preseason trading, so if anyone sees anyone on my team that interests you shoot me an offer. I'd even consider trading LT for the right offer...
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2008, 10:52 AM »
But unlike basketball and baseball, this football game is ruled by 2 things first and foremost: injuries and luck.

I'll second that one.  Last year for me was a perfect example.  I lucked my way into Randy Moss and Tony Romo in the 5th and 6th (I think) rounds.  Then I bad-lucked my way out of a championship when the 8 seed beat me in the first week of the playoffs.  That week my team scored enough points to beat every other team in the playoffs, but I was done.  And the next two weeks my team scored enough points to have dominated all the way to the championship, but it didn't make a bit of difference and I finished 5th.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2008, 10:55 AM »
I will just say this.  Forget the conventional wisdom for a second.  Owens and A-Pete put up comparable numbers last year.  Just about the same fantasy points.  As a matter of fact, Owens ranked 7th in fantasy points scored and Peterson below him at 8th.  The Vikings already said that they're looking to keep A-Pete fresh and spell him with 200 touches from Chester Taylor.  So A-Pete is not Tomlinson, he's not Westbrook, and he's not even Jamal Lewis in my opinion.  He's in a time share.

Talent-wise, Owens has every bit of a chance to outscore A-Pete, and not for nothin' but Larry Johnson who I got at pick 13 has got the same chance to outscore Peterson that Owens does.

We'll see how it unfolds.

Indeed - but two things to remember.  There are a few other receivers who are near T.O. in terms of production who are available later than 3rd over all.  Fitzgerald, Moss and a few others come to mind. 

Additionally, Peterson missed 3 (4?) games last year en route to numbers that were about the same as T.O.'s.

Lastly, Anquan Boldin is looking for a trade and the reports here were that Jerry Jones was on the phone inquiring.  If he gets it in his head that he wants Boldin, it'll happen.  It's no where near a done deal, but it's on the radar and could get interesting in the next couple of weeks.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2008, 10:57 AM »
  Dressel's team would be a contender if this were 2006. 

Hey what's up newbie.  Fact check for you - 5 fantasy titles, and I'm always a contender.

The luckiest uninjured team has the edge, and none of us know who that's gonna be yet.  And not to put emphasis on "luck" more than "injuries," but in last year's Super Bowl, my team of Plaxico Burress, Reggie Wayne, Steven Jackson, Jamal Lewis, Antoni Gates, and Chicago D was beaten by Chris Redman and Pierre Thomas.

Having said that, if you think that your team has an edge over my team to the point where you proclaim that my team would only be good if it was 2006, you definitely don't know what's going on.  My team can drop 100 on your ass on any given Sunday, chief.

If you have 5 fantasy titles drafting against guys who take Desean Jackson in the 4th round, then I'm not real impressed Dresser.  Moss if going to run circles around Owens this year, so I'm not sure how think you're going to get past my team this year.  R. Bush, L. Johnson, Roy Williams...those guys are all on the way down, not the way up.  Dallas is not going to have 11 TDs again - those TDs are going to A. Gonzales in 08, so I guess you think Coles and Kevin Smith are going to have a big year?

Between Matt Forte and R. Moss, I've got about 40 TDs coming your way, so unless I decide to bench the rest of my squad, you'd better be planning on second place or worse this year.  

Ahhh...smack talk is the best part of FFL and I need to get in as much as I can before my team really starts to stink it up.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2008, 11:45 AM »
Reggie Bush flat out sucked last year.  He's sucked in the preseason and he's going to suck again this year.

Deuce will be getting most of the carries by week 4.

And then his knees will probably blow out around week 8.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2008, 12:02 PM »
Between Matt Forte and R. Moss, I've got about 40 TDs coming your way, so unless I decide to bench the rest of my squad, you'd better be planning on second place or worse this year. 

High hopes for Forte is a little premature IMO - the Bears have three backs they can use in Petersen, Jones and Forte.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see quite a bit of rotation between the three.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2008, 12:13 PM »
Reggie Bush flat out sucked last year.  He's sucked in the preseason and he's going to suck again this year.

Deuce will be getting most of the carries by week 4.

And then his knees will probably blow out around week 8.

Rob, Bush had 1,000 yards rushing + receiving and 6 TD's in just 12 games last year.  That "sucks" for a high upside 4th round pick who's 23 years old?  If he played the other 4 games that's close to 1,300 yards and 8 TD's.

You're terribly mistaken about Deuce.  He's 30 and had 3 knee operations.

Thanks I'll put my 4th round money on Reggie Bush.  This could be the big breakout year.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:16 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2008, 12:18 PM »

... this football game is ruled by 2 things first and foremost: injuries and luck.

Agreed.  And we never really know who's going to have a good year or a bad year with or without injuries.  You just never know.  I had Roy Williams last year.  He was a stud in the first four weeks and then disappeared.  I wouldn't want him again this year because of that, but he might score 12 TDs instead.  Can't say at this point.  I know I DID avoid guys that burned me in the past.  Maroney for example I have no love for.  NE can talk all they want about giving him the ball more, but I doubt it with the QB and receivers they have.  Besides Morris might poach all the TDs again and even stay healthy, or at least I hope so. 

Draft as best you can, then it's a crapshoot.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2008, 12:56 PM »
Rob, Bush had 1,000 yards rushing + receiving and 6 TD's in just 12 games last year.  That "sucks" for a high upside 4th round pick who's 23 years old?  If he played the other 4 games that's close to 1,300 yards and 8 TD's.

You're terribly mistaken about Deuce.  He's 30 and had 3 knee operations.

Thanks I'll put my 4th round money on Reggie Bush.  This could be the big breakout year.

In the 4th you're right, it's worth a shot.  I drafted him 8 overall last year and he didn't come close to those expectations.  He was injured, and didn't start producing even the modest numbers you cited until McAllister disappeared.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2008, 12:57 PM »
High hopes for Forte is a little premature IMO - the Bears have three backs they can use in Petersen, Jones and Forte.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see quite a bit of rotation between the three.

I steered clear of Forte because I kept reading that he's seemed lost all preseason.  I'm expecting Jones to be their guy at some point this season.  Who knows though... he's hardly a sure thing.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2008, 01:02 PM »
There's a fourth option too but I don't think he'll play much this season.  I don't know much about Jones other than he had a serious knee? injury last year. 

Doesn't look good for the Bears this year with regards to offense OR defense.  SF scored 34 against them last night - I know it's preseason but I believe 23 out of those 34 points were in the 1st half - against 1st string defense.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2008, 01:27 PM »
Maroney for example I have no love for. 

:-[