Author Topic: JD Fantasy Football 2008  (Read 61823 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Football 2008
« Reply #210 on: October 1, 2008, 06:41 PM »
It should teach you that a guy like Moss, who is as fickle as can be as a football player, is highly dependent on someone serving him well.  Same holds true as for Owens.  With respect to Housh, it only shows he overperformed last year, something I truly enjoyed and benefitted from but guys are expecting him to perform as a #1 which he really isn't.  He is, for the most part, a possession receiver.  And with Ocho underperforming, he's getting hurt too. 

I'd agree that Moss is fickle, though I still don't get why NE is THAT bad this year.  I think its more a combination of conservative play calling and they're just not as good when they aren't cheating.

Owens is not the same caliber at all.  He's thrived under every QB he's worked with as far as I can remember.  His problem is that he can't shut his mouth and that gets him into trouble.

I also don't believe Housh overperformed last year versus this year.  I think the problem with Cinci is their run game.  C. Perry is averaging under 3 yards per carry and inthe games I've watched, defenses are overly focused on shutting down the receivers and preventing big plays.  That should be opening up the run game, but Perry's not doing his part to keep defenses honest and that's killing Housh.  It also doesn't help to have a gimpy Chad Johnson, since he had been drawing double coverage the last few years.

As for focus on RBs, I don't think you'd be enjoying a winning season with Steven Jackson, Brandon Jackson, W. McGahee, or L. Maroney on your squad.  Even LT and AP have underperformed so far this year.  Now if you had Owens, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Marshall, etc. you'd be doing pretty well.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 1, 2008, 07:03 PM »
Owens is not the same caliber at all.  He's thrived under every QB he's worked with as far as I can remember.  His problem is that he can't shut his mouth and that gets him into trouble.

That really hasn't been a problem here in Dallas.  He's been well behaved for the most part and has put up massive numbers.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 1, 2008, 10:29 PM »

That really hasn't been a problem here in Dallas.  He's been well behaved for the most part and has put up massive numbers.

You didn't see the press conference with Owens after this week's game?  The one where he blamed their loss on the coaches not getting him the ball enough?  The ESPN guys talked about it afterwards and noted that he was actually thrown to or ran the ball on 20 of roughly 60 plays, indicating that they may actually be using him too much.  Give Dallas a few more losses and you'll start to see him tear that team apart.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 1, 2008, 10:42 PM »
I'd like to see a full transcript of it, because it wasn't big news here on the local radio on Monday - they played some typical team-oriented comments where he was talking about how all he wanted to do was win and how they needed to play better and yadda yadda yadda, it didn't seem like anything big at the time.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 2, 2008, 12:06 AM »
I'd like to see a full transcript of it, because it wasn't big news here on the local radio on Monday - they played some typical team-oriented comments where he was talking about how all he wanted to do was win and how they needed to play better and yadda yadda yadda, it didn't seem like anything big at the time.

Apparently Owens even had a chat with Romo after the game:

"Owens, despite having 18 passes thrown his way in the loss to Washington, had what was deemed a serious conversation about the offense with quarterback Tony Romo after the game, according to multiple sources.

The types of routes and throws are what concerns Owens, the sources said. The receiver, who the sources said was venting to Romo about his frustrations, has not liked how some of the throws were coming from the quarterback as far back as the season opener. "

And in his own words...

The Cowboys ran 58 offensive plays. They threw it to him 18 times and let Owens run it twice on two end-arounds. Yet when asked if the ball was thrown his way often enough, Owens said: "I would say no. I'm a competitor, and I want the ball...when I don't get the ball, the offense is stagnant."

Personally, I love Owens as a player and I think his antics are pretty funny, but his mouth has burned bridges and killed teams mid season.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2008, 12:07 AM by JediJman »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 2, 2008, 12:37 AM »
There are conflicting reports on that too - two articles in two papers I guess, one saying there was a meeting, the other flatly denying that this meeting took place.  The local radio here had both writers on today, but I was only in the car long enough to hear the first one.  So, we'll have to just decide what we believe and leave it at that.  I know that the media has been trying to goad T.O. into doing something stupid for over 2 years now and it usually doesn't work. 

Any way you slice it, this isn't Owens/Garcia or Owens/McNabb again - Owens and Romo get along very well, they're friends, and they put up big numbers together, even if it didn't work out in that Redskins game.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2008, 12:39 AM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 2, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Any way you slice it, this isn't Owens/Garcia or Owens/McNabb again - Owens and Romo get along very well, they're friends, and they put up big numbers together, even if it didn't work out in that Redskins game.

Well, I agree that no one knows for sure what's being said behind closed doors, and totally agree that the media is looking to make a story out of Owens.  I do think, however, that Owens is only happy when he is winning and his "friendship" with Romo is hugely dependent the fact that they are dominating most teams.  If you recall, Owens and McNabb were great friends even outside of work and that fell apart in a matter of weeks once they started losing games. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 2, 2008, 05:13 PM »
Dallas will win 10-12 games and Owens and Romo will not only be fine, but will be the #1 QB-WR combo in the NFL this year.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 2, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Dallas will win 10-12 games and Owens and Romo will not only be fine, but will be the #1 QB-WR combo in the NFL this year.

You mean #2 behind Palmer and Houshmanzadeh, who will both start lighting up my fantasy team in a few weeks.   ::)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #219 on: October 3, 2008, 12:06 AM »
Dallas will win 10-12 games and Owens and Romo will not only be fine, but will be the #1 #2 QB-WR combo in the NFL this year.

Fixed that for you...

:)
« Last Edit: October 3, 2008, 12:08 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 3, 2008, 01:37 AM »
As long as they take a break from that little quest to lose to Tampa this weekend, I'm fine with that.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 3, 2008, 08:59 AM »
Dallas will win 10-12 games and Owens and Romo will not only be fine, but will be the #1 #2 QB-WR combo in the NFL this year.

Fixed that for you...

:)

Let's see if Cutler can keep his blood sugar stable for a full season before we get all hot and bothered about him and  Brandon Marshall.

« Last Edit: October 3, 2008, 09:00 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 3, 2008, 02:07 PM »
I'm more worried about Marshall getting suspended again than Cutler's diabetes, but they have been rockin' so far. 

By the way, kind of not cool to make fun of a guy for diabetes.   ::)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 3, 2008, 02:50 PM »
I'm more worried about Marshall getting suspended again than Cutler's diabetes, but they have been rockin' so far. 

By the way, kind of not cool to make fun of a guy for diabetes.   ::)

I'm not making fun of him, jackass.  If you'd look up what the hell you're talking about before you lecture me, you'd know that even the Broncos attribute Cutler's past performance meltdowns to wildly out of control diabetes.  Weakness, fatigue.  They think it's under control now, but let's see him play a full season before we start spanking the monkey, okay?
« Last Edit: October 3, 2008, 02:51 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 3, 2008, 03:25 PM »
I'm not making fun of him, jackass.  If you'd look up what the hell you're talking about before you lecture me, you'd know that even the Broncos attribute Cutler's past performance meltdowns to wildly out of control diabetes.  Weakness, fatigue.  They think it's under control now, but let's see him play a full season before we start spanking the monkey, okay?

More importantly though, it was undiagnosed diabetes.  He wasn't managing it at all.  There's nothing to really suggest that he won't be fine now that he's under a doctor's care.