Author Topic: Legacy Collection Rumors  (Read 60938 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Collection Rumors
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2009, 12:47 PM »
I don't care about the Twilight or a new Slave One.  AT-AT and Sail Barge?  I do want those. 

I'd like a Death Star playset/diorama too and some scenes that look like movie sets, but I'm crazy like that in wanting to be able to display things that actually represent what we see on screen.   :P

You're certainly NOT crazy. I've been touting for years about wanting playsets that look like the movie scenes. I've posted here a few times my ideas for a modular Death Star playset. A Sail Barge would be a GREAT vehicle/playset all-in-one. I'd even be all for it having wheels (disguised of course) on the bottom to roll around and help make it have the appearance of floating. We don't really need a ton of detailing on the inside of it either with exception to room where Jabba is at. Most of the detailing can be on the outside which are very easily done as molded parts.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2009, 12:58 PM »
Didn't GI Joe have a half vehicle/half play set item this year?  Obviously a to scale Sail Barge would be a lot bigger than the box I recall.  But still, Hasbro is doing that general concept...
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2009, 01:40 AM »
Yes, but they also had a film to go with it. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2009, 02:23 AM »
And no licensing fees to pay, either.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2009, 03:05 AM »
However, the PIT playset looks absolutely nothing like the actual PIT from the movie.  Hasbro took a completely different approach. 

Anyways, I'd bet that a Sail Barge would be in higher demand and would sell through much faster.  But with Hasbro seemingly wanting to piss on collector targeted items for a while, I'd be surprised if they wanted to do something like this now.  Ugh.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2009, 09:25 AM »
Anyways, I'd bet that a Sail Barge would be in higher demand and would sell through much faster.  But with Hasbro seemingly wanting to piss on collector targeted items for a while, I'd be surprised if they wanted to do something like this now.  Ugh.
You think seriously think an obscure vehicle from 25+ years ago would sell better than a vehicle/playset from a movie that just came out last year.  In light of the difficulty in selling Millenium Falcons, THE iconic vehicle from the 3 movies that came out over 25+ years ago?  Or selling AT-TE walkers and Turbo Tanks which are from a movie that is only 7 years old and current TV series. Seriously?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2009, 01:46 PM »
Seriously.    8)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2009, 04:09 PM »
Well on good bit of news for the Sail Barge is that Hasbro does seem to want to make it.  Based on their previous comments.  I really think the only shot at it though is a re-release of the OT in the theatres or if it comes into play in the Clone Wars series or both somehow, someway.  Then again if they release the films they would probably focus on the same vehicles again - Falcon, X-Wings, Ties, etc.  I would hope they would finally get to some sort of Death Star playset(s) or environments. 

I guess it would depend upon the price point.  If they ever made the Sail Barge it will be scaled down and probably alienate a lot of collectors.  Or the price would be so high that it would just go straight to the clearance aisle like the Falcon and AT-TE.  Although I think initially both sold pretty well around my area.  I don't see tons of these rotting on the shelves.  Then again I can find them easily. 

Anyway, one of glimmer of hope is they could make it like the Cloud Car and cram in a whole bunch of weaponry on the Sail Barge.  I don't know it seems like a long shot but so was the Cloud Car. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2009, 04:46 PM »
If it weren't for Hasbro shifting away from a collector focus right now, I'd say that the chances of it happening are as good as any other large scale item (after the AT-AT).  Some sort of media support would surely help it out, but I don't think it's absolutely essential.  And in my neck of the woods, very few Falcons and AT-TE's ever hit clearance last year.  This year TRU has gotten more stock in and has had great sales that I'm sure they've worked out with Hasbro - and each time they have those sales, they sell through almost immediately. 

Demand is certainly there for large items otherwise Hasbro wouldn't have even brought out anything again at the $100+ price point last year or this year.  The key is to make them appeal to both the kid and adult market I think, which can easily be achieved if they create items that resemble what we see on screen and can also figure out a way to make them more interactive for the younglings.  I'm sure we'll get a better idea of what Hasbro is planning in February.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2009, 05:12 PM »
Except that all those Falcons and Walkers were manfufactured last year...note the blue/white packaging.  I'd say sales aren't too hot

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2009, 05:55 PM »
Must be why they went through and released the Turbo Tank then... and also decided to go with a $100 item in the Joe line, eh?  :D

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2009, 05:59 PM »
I think if the Sail Barge were to be made, it's best chance would be as a result of it being HEAVILY featured in the live action Boba Fett-centered show that is supposedly coming in a year or two.

If you think about it - if the series is about Boba Fett and he spends some time working for Jabba, then sure, it's possible that Fett would repeatedly report back to Jabba aboard his Sail Barge (maybe).

Otherwise, as much as I would love to have one, I think there's very little chance this vehicle will ever see the light of day.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Must be why they went through and released the Turbo Tank then... and also decided to go with a $100 item in the Joe line, eh?  :D
I think sales were decent enough but I really don't think they were spectacular as all three have seen deep clearance.  The fact there is still stock though over a year after they were made is not a good sign.  The chances of the Sailbarge happening is about as good as them making your playsets

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2009, 10:29 PM »
Actually I think the Sail Barge is more likely than playsets given Hasbro is already making large vehicles. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2009, 04:47 PM »
I think if the Sail Barge were to be made, it's best chance would be as a result of it being HEAVILY featured in the live action Boba Fett-centered show that is supposedly coming in a year or two.

If you think about it - if the series is about Boba Fett and he spends some time working for Jabba, then sure, it's possible that Fett would repeatedly report back to Jabba aboard his Sail Barge (maybe).

That's exactly what I was thinking so hopefully the Barge will pop up in another year or three.  I'm sure Hasbro is going to want to kick off the new show with a big anchor....well hopefully.  Now where's that Stan guy again?   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN