Author Topic: Previews Exclusive Pirate TIE Fighter  (Read 23311 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Previews Exclusive Pirate TIE Fighter
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 11:43 PM »
Sadly, I only want a 2nd without a pilot...  At $55 though I think I've gotta pass overall.  Two would be awesome so Biggs had a ship, but geesh...  They're just way too much, even to get one with Hobbie. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 12:47 AM »
As I look at my two shelves filled with various TIE's...this is an easy pass.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 09:15 AM »
This is a little too far, even for me. I mean, I guess it's a cool concept, but one I'm not very interested in. Especially for the price.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 11:35 AM »
I would get it if the price wasn't too high.   I'll have to pass, but I do want the Hobbie packin.   
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 12:37 PM »
Like many others, a pass from me as well - but I would like the figure.  Hopefully he'll make his way into a Legends assortment in the future or something.

Offline commander apoc

• Jedi Initiate
  • Fine by me.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 01:05 PM »
$55? By the time this shows up in Europe it's about 75 euro or up :o... that's a nono for me then.
And even with a Astromech it's just to much pay for so little in return.... ;)

The repaints of the jedi-starfighters where better..... ;D
There can never be enough clones.....

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 01:34 PM »
I like the concept but the price totally bites.   It's like  1/3 of the BMF that is my numero uno priority for 7/26... Gonna have to fly casual on this one.... 8)
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 03:10 PM »
I like the color of the vehicle itself, but wish they would yet again remake the wings at about 80% or so of this size.  I prefer this newer sculpt over the POTF2/vintage one of course, but they upscaled the wings TOO much.  As for the rebel insignia... well, I won't bore anyone with my perpetual feelings about EU ideas  ::)
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 03:23 PM »
I returned my white TRU Tie Fighter today to justify me getting this one. I was never too sold on the vintage white concept to begin with, that's why I never opened it. While this is $15 more, at least there is a new figure. I am hoping they added the astromech, I think that would turn peoples opinions around on this(and sell me more on it too). I remember paying previews $65 for the Sandcrawler a few years ago. That was an overpriced toy but still one of my favorite releases of the modern line.

I hope this gets enough support to have future overpriced releases from previews. You never know what they have up their sleeves. They seem to be going after SW pretty damn hard this year. They might even start getting EE type sets.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:24 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 04:31 PM »
but they upscaled the wings TOO much.
   ???

It's pretty spot-on DB...  They sag, but I blame the cockpit ball more than the wings being too large...  The ball's just not made for the weight.  Compare it with a Fine Molds model sometime if you've got the chance to get ahold of one.  I can't find my CD's from the last tour of LFL props or I'd post TIE pics.  It's insanely accurate except the cockpit detailing.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 05:01 PM »
That's definitely reassuring then, JJ.  I remember thinking when I got the blue one that it looked too big, but chalked it up to being used to the POTF2 mold.  But then I thought maybe some reference pics I saw soon after from the films sort of repeated that thought again.  Maybe if we can find a good reference shot of a TIE next to a toy shot of similar size to compare.
Greg Reeves

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 05:04 PM »
Studio Scale TIE

Target Exclusive TIE:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 05:06 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 05:09 PM »
Thanks!!  See, I'm thinking they need to upscale the cockpit a little bit.  Am I the only one seeing the size difference?  Here's another couple for perusal:

Greg Reeves

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 06:16 PM »
That looks pretty spot-on to me DB...

If anything's maybe off, it's the diameter of the cockpit ball itself, but it's so old and Hasbro seems so content with it...  I'd say it's a negligible difference too, personally.  It doesn't look much different to me at all, but for the small details like the laser nub, and cockpit hinges, etc.  Like I say, maybe a hair larger diameter?  Not enough, to me anyway, to worry about...  And I'm a stickler for this stuff generally. 

I think more people are annoyed by the cockpit hatch hinges honestly, though I'm again not bothered by them myself...  I see where folks come from on that issue though. 

To be honest, the difference I see with the cockpit is more that the model is a hair more oblong than the toy...  Which makes sense due to the way a pilot should sit (knees bent) in one.  Again, I think the wings are spot-on accurate, and the cockpit ball maybe is off by the slightest of margins...

At this point though, they've retooled the cockpit ball so much that I highly doubt they start it from scratch to make it that slightly bit more oblong to accomodate a more natural sitting position for a human.  I think the Kenner styled cockpit ball is here to stay...  But the scale of the ship is right on itself, and lines up with the TIE Bomber, Interceptor, and Advanced x1 pretty perfectly.  If the wings were 80% their current size, that would make the ship FX X-Wing scaled actually.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 10:23 PM »
Hmmm.  So this is $55 huh?  IIRC the TRU exclusive TIE was $39.99.  Both include pilots.  I wonder if given the extra price we might also get some kind of a hyperdrive pack and/or astromech.  That's what the product description mentions, and I read those issues of EMPIRE with the storyline that this TIE is derived from.  That, plus Hobbie had a blaster rifle that he was using to snipe TIE fighters after ejecting from his TIE.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback