Author Topic: Camping!  (Read 5008 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Camping!
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:57 AM »
Anyone else have plans for camping this summer?  My wife and I just bought a tent trailer today, which should be a hoot since I only ever tented when I was a kid.  There are a ton of campgrounds around here so we can easily get in a few weekends worth, maybe more.  I can't wait!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Camping!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 04:39 AM »
I know a couple of you guys are into camping, but I honestly can't say I have much desire to ever do that, haha...  I've camped when I was younger, never with my family though (always with a friend's family), and I hated it.

To me, roughing it means no room service...  Hell, even at C3 I had to have a certain quality of life outside the con to enjoy myself.  It wasn't con 24/7 there, so I was really aiming for the nightlife, the hotel's quality, etc.

Though I will say I've stayed at some ****** hotels and I'm usually content as long as they're remotely clean and there's good water pressure.  Gotta have that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:28 AM »
We go camping every Memorial Day.  Before we had the kids, we would go to a place North of Green Bay that offered rafting as one of the activities.  We used to do the tent, sleepingbags, cooking on the fire, the whole nine yards.  The last four years, we've been pretty low-key and have gone to places that have cabins so that the kids don't have to hike half way across the campground to go to the bathroom.  I think once the boys get a little older, we'll end up getting a camper and taking them on actual camping trips.  Some of my best memories as a kid involve going all sorts of places with my family like to Yellowstone or going on fishing trips down to Kentucky.

Have fun Jesse!  Post pictures of your first trip!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Haven't camped in years and it used to be a yearly activity. Lots of fun. Though, it's really a lot different camping here in CA than it was in PA. In PA, you just get fire wood from anywhere, in CA, you have to bring it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:56 AM »
My entire family just recently got back from Yellowstone which was our major planned trip for the summer.  We ended up staying in a bunk house in Idaho however instead of camping out of a tent since most of my family wouldn't of gone for the roughing part of that. 
The last time I actually went camping in a tent I ended up with a close encounter of some sort of wildlife, possible a bear.  Woke up in the middle of the night because of an animal making noise outside my tent and then pressing up against my tent.  When I got up in the morning me and my brother-in-law walked outside the tent and saw paw marks around the camp site.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:38 AM »
I'm with Jesse James...

My idea of roughing it is No Cable at the Holiday Inn.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:41 PM »
In PA, you just get fire wood from anywhere, in CA, you have to bring it.

At this point I'd think anyone seeing you even pluck a match from a pack out there would shoot you for considering it.

Where I live we're allowed to burn trash and things, so fires are no big deal...  The conditions sometimes get dryer and they want you NOT to do that, obviously, but generally it's not a big deal.  Further towards the city you go though, then there's ordinances against it.  Right in town actually you're not allowed to, but I'm "in the country" so to speak.  You're allowed to burn for recreation down near my gf's place but not trash and things.

And of course no burning stuff you shouldn't like plastic, construction materials, tires, etc.  That should go without saying, but people still do it routinely.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 04:44 PM »
I houseboat!
My grandparents have owned a houseboat since I was in 4th grade. Every summer We go out for about 2 weeks, you got the sun the water, and the boating. That's my kind of camping ;D

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:37 PM »
My family went camping quite a bit when I was a kid.  We once took our trailer across the country...very fun trip.  Of course, by "camping" my parents had a trailer with just about every amenity in it....and my brother and I slept in a tent!

Still...lots of fun.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: July 3, 2008, 02:24 PM »
My wife has been bugging me up the ying yang to buy a pop up camper the last few months.  I am a little reluctant due to the economy and how much we'd actually use it.  Before the boys we would go tenting at least 4-5 times a year.  Back in Y2K we took a 2 week trip out west and camped/1 star hoteled it for almost the entire way.  So, we compromised and went tenting a few weekends ago, it was fun and the boys had fun but we stayed at a campground with a waterpark and 3 playgrounds.  I'd rather go to the woods and stay in nature and fish and hike kind of deal.  I think they are too young for that yet

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 02:06 AM »
A new camping season is upon us - it's "May Long Weekend" (Victoria Day) in Canada, which is typically when a lot of people gear up for summer activities.  We went camping for 2 nights with our tent trailer and had a blast.  For the first time we camped with another family, which was pretty cool since their 3 kids play very well with our 2 kids.  We had great weather to enjoy our hiking and campfires, so it was definitely a success.   We hope to get out a number of times this summer.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 02:14 AM »
Glad ya got out Jesse. Camping is a lot of fun & on our long weekend in my neck of the woods, you ethier get rained on or wake up to a foot of snow.  ::)   ;D

Yep, warm during the day with the odd showers & bloody wind, flurries too. Stupid prairies!  >:(

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 10:39 AM »
This weekend I took the boys camping for the night. This was the first time the two year old got to sleep in a tent. He did great! He went right to sleep. We went to a nearby scout reservation with a church group. They had fun riding bikes, playing football and baseball, daming up a stream and catching frogs. The two year old ate so many snowcones that he was dyed orange by the end of it.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 02:57 PM »
Uncle Sam had me do enough camping.  Now, bring an RV and that's about as "camping happy" as I can get.

I still hunt like nobody's business though.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 05:04 PM »
This was the first time the two year old got to sleep in a tent. He did great! He went right to sleep.

It's amazing how well they sleep after a day of fresh air.  8)