Author Topic: Legacy Collection Comic Packs  (Read 213601 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Legacy Collection Comic Packs
« Reply #555 on: January 22, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Other than the lightsaber and Jedi-ish robes?  ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 22, 2010, 10:29 PM »
It's really a shame that the EU is gonna die (in action figure terms) once the CP line is finished. Hasbro has said (let's hope they didn't mean it) that we're not gonna get any more EU waves once the realistic figure relaunch happens in Fall 2010, and w/ the CP line dying, there's only gonna be a balance on movie-themed waves.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 25, 2010, 10:08 AM »
In contradiction, she's the type that makes me not cry over the demise of the comic packs. As my collecting habits are continually modified, she's a great contender for skipping.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #558 on: January 25, 2010, 01:17 PM »
I would agree...I don't even know who she is...but I REALLY want Camie and Fixer.  I would go nuts to have those.  Pure SW '77 obscure oddities.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 25, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Agreed, T'ra Saa is one of the least desireable figures I've ever seen... a total disaster from the neck up, looks nothing like the character to me.  Don't think I'll be needing that set.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #560 on: January 25, 2010, 05:38 PM »
EU's EU...  Some people like it and some don't, but she's a well sculpted character with great articulation, all new sculpt, good paint aps, and from a relatively popular storyline.

She's the IDEAL reason it's a shame to see the comic packs go...  I get that maybe someone doesn't like her character in particular, so it's a pass.  It's like my dislike of the Vong characters so I maybe wouldn't buy a set with them in it, but at the same time I can't deny that the Vong that came with Katarn was ultimately a good action figure too.  So why be happy to see the line end?  Maybe something you did want would've come, but now it's in the can.

So instead of her, would you rather more Marvel repaints?  :) 

See that's my analogy...  She's new, she's a Darkhorse character, she's well articulated, she's well sculpted, well decoed...  That's, to me, why it sucks to see comic packs go because of characters like a redecoed Leia, Fleet Trooper, and purple Dengar, or SOTE figures that didn't necessarilly do too great their first time around either...  I would rather have seen more T'ra Saa's (even if they're not from stories I followed) than the stuff that ultimately was a big part that clogged the line up.  Maybe more Thrawn Trilogy figures would've happened then, or more Jedi filler for the Clone Wars era?  That's the stuff I liked picking up that is now not seemingly going to happen.

To me, these were new figures though too...  Camie and Fixer, to me anyway, aren't really comic figures and that's more Hasbro throwing fans a bone.  I wanted them too Mike, don't get me wrong, but comcis from the movies were a rarity to say the least.  Cut-scene figures are just something for the basic line, though I'm happy to get them either way.  But the comics didn't always offer NEW anyway, sometimes it was just repaints, and so seeing a set with two new Jedi in it was really nice, and I just find it a shame then that the line's ending when they're capable of delivering nice sets.

The wookiee and Noghri set is more my speed...  I love it, but I was happy to buy Jedi sets like with T'ra Saa too because she's new, alien, interesting.  And she's a new sculpt, new everything...  That line saw too little of this.  But I guess that's why it's dying though too.  Even when they did put something new out, collectors weren't willing to back it up totally either and so it's destined to fail then since it's more a collector-targeted series I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 25, 2010, 11:15 PM »
Nothing wrong with the character selection Jesse (I thought she was a decent character in the comics) - it's the fact that Hasbro's work on the face make her look like she peeked inside the Ark of the Covenant while getting smashed in the face with a frying pan - that's all I'm saying.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:16 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #562 on: January 25, 2010, 11:32 PM »
You really think it's that far off the mark?  I think it looks pretty much like her...  She's got a flat face in the comics too.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 25, 2010, 11:54 PM »
I'm still pissed about not getting Deliah Blue and Darth Nihl.

I pretty much agree with Jesse.  I bought some comic sets because they had all-new characters or because they were new, interesting figure versions of characters I already have.  But I didn't buy any of the Marvel sets that were all repaints of existing figures/characters.

I had two real problems with the sets that I didn't buy; Some had a new character in them but rather than Hasbro spending the money to do them well, they spent it on the re-sculpt of the character I already had.  The Luke/Lumiya set is an example.  I bought that one, but they skimped on Lumiya but gave Luke SA joints.  Why?  Like we don't have enough decent Luke figures, but we'll never get another shot at Lumiya.  The second was too many characters like Vader.  I passed on some sets just because I couldn't justify $12+ for one figure and a Vader that would clutter up a box somewhere.

Still, I'm going to miss the comic packs and think that at the end of the day, while we got some great figures, Hasbro could have done the line a little more justice.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 26, 2010, 12:29 AM »
You really think it's that far off the mark?  I think it looks pretty much like her...  She's got a flat face in the comics too.

Yeah, I just think this is one of their lesser efforts... I think in the comics, they were able to make her look at least somewhat pretty and look like a caring Jedi... to me this rendition looks like Medusa!  Seriously... from the neck down though she looks fantastic, but I think that face looks so horrible that a lot of people might be turned off.  If I get this one, it will be just for the lower body as it looks like very good custom fodder.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #565 on: January 26, 2010, 12:30 AM »
I think you just called her a butterface!   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 26, 2010, 07:02 AM »
I think there were two primary reasons why this line is going:

1) Character choices. Like efranks said - how many times did we need Vader to be in these sets? While the Luke/Lumiya was a nice set from Marvel, the four ANH adaptation sets were a horrible first foot forward for the line.

2) Repacks. Ok, so you put out a set like dinner-jacket Wedge and the Bothan and you also put out a set with two Red Armor-clad Jedi-like warriors. Who do you re-release? The dinner jacket Wedge set of course!!! Hasbro has no one but themselves to blame for retail passing on this line. The case assortment for the Fall 2009 comic pack assortment was just plain STUPID. It should have had 2x of each new set and two POPULAR sets from the history of the line repacked in the Red/White packaging style. Seriously, what is Hasbro's problem with case packs lately. Nothing ever comes at 2x per case anymore. They never put a new four-figure CW wave at 2x per case either, and that's just ridiculous too.

They really need to go back to the days when if you have a six figure wave, there is a case with 2x of each, and if you have a four figure wave, there is a case with 3x of each.

Perhaps if they issued more online collector-friendly case-packs, the collector community would appear to be more supportive of the lines.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 26, 2010, 10:38 AM »
...Perhaps if they issued more online collector-friendly case-packs, the collector community would appear to be more supportive of the lines.

Man, you hit the nail on the head there. I haven't bought a case of anything in a long time. I just refuse to buy a case of figures when half of them are repacks of ones I already have. Perhaps if they were evenly packed I could find another collector to go in on the case with me. Otherwise, forget it.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 26, 2010, 10:47 AM »
I think the biggest issue with the Comic Packs are the following:

- Distribution
- Increase in Price
- Too many Repacks

And I also agree that the case assortments for both comic packs and basic figures has been a turnoff.  Why should I drop a hundred bucks on a case of figures when only 6 of them are new, and I get stuck with 6 repacks?  No thanks.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 29, 2010, 09:48 AM »
I think the problem was the characters offered. The general purchasing public doesn't want to buy characters they don't know. The only reason why I bought half of them is because I'm a completist.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."