Author Topic: Legacy Collection Comic Packs  (Read 213606 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Collection Comic Packs
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2008, 10:07 AM »
When I picked up the Durge and Asajj packs, I had set them aside not having the time to open 'em up. Had some time yesterday, but just looked at them instead. I'm really debating whether or not to bother with expanded universe figures anymore.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2008, 03:33 PM »
I am THRILLED to hear about how great the Thrawn and Xizor sets are. Those are the only Comic Packs I'm interested in out of all these new ones.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Thanks for the impressions Adam.  I'm really looking forward to the Thrawn pack, as well as some of the other OT-ish based ones.  I recently got the Asaaj and Durge packs, and was happy to get those since I missed those earlier figures.  With figures like Tol Skorr and others, I guess the figures are really well done, but I don't find myself caring much about them.  I just stuck him in the back of a display and that was that.  I guess I'm just not into the EU deep enough or something...and part of it is budgetary, as I'm really looking at what I'm going to purchase pretty closely now...but some of the more obscure EU stuff I'm starting to care less about.  I know its a great way to get figures that likely wouldn't make the basic line though, and there are fan bases for most to all of them, so that's great that they make them.  I guess I wouldn't mind seeing some "2 packs" that are more movie based or something.  If things ever shift to more 2 packs (like Adam has discussed before) to save on packaging (and a cheaper price per figure), I wouldn't mind seeing some movie characters make the lineup.  Heck, not that I'm advocating repacking in any way, but who wouldn't pick up a 2 pack of say an all new Hoth Rebel Soldier alongside the VTSC Snowtrooper (and throw in an Empire comic reprint if you want).  There might be a better avenue for this of course, since people really don't like paying for "one new figure" - but I know I'd grab some.  Anyways, thanks for the impressions, hoping those other comic packs (Thrawn, Zixor, etc.) show up soon.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2008, 03:28 PM »
EE sent my case of new Legacy Collection comic packs. The case included:

1x Legacy #2: Darth Talon & Cade Skywalker
2x Shadows of the Empire #5: Princess Leia & Prince Xizor
2x Heir to the Empire #1: Grand Admiral Thrawn & Talon Karrde
1x Empire #1: Darth Vader & Admiral Trachta
1x Legacy #6: Antares Draco & Ganner Krieg
1x Infinities ROTJ #3/4: Darth Vader (White) & Princess Leia (Sniper)

THEY ARE SWEET!!!

I am so glad I ordered the case on 8/13! That's fast shipping!
(I was just beginning to get disappointed with EE for not shipping the Joe Wave 9 cases to me yet after seeing them in stores everywhere. Great rebound, although I want my Joes dammit!)
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2008, 12:21 AM »
This is kind of nuts - or am I the only one who thinks so?

They ship a repack of the Anakin/Assassin Droid set in the Legacy packaging, label it #3 so packaged collectors would be compelled to make a purchase and then less than a month after those hit - there's a case of eight sets that includes SIX unique 2-packs.

Huh?

First off, why not include one of those six in the first wave and ditch the Anakin?

Second, why in cases of EIGHT do they not make the waves in counts of 2 or 4? Two of these sets should have been with Wave 1 and then that would mean that once you throw out the repack Anakin set, you'd have two waves of FOUR packs each and in each case 2x of each pack.

Look, I know this is mean and insulting, but isn't there a WalMart that could use a greeter in Pawtucket, RI? The only reason I ask is 'cause the guy at Hasbro who comes up with the waves and case pack ratios really needs to go, but since I don't want to see him out of a job, I'm sure he'd be useful over at the WalMart.  ::)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2008, 09:54 AM »
You're not the only one who looks at these things Pete. I scratch my head a bunch of times as well, but having had some experience in production, I also reason out potential issues that could have forced the case ratio's, the primary being production delays.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2008, 03:13 PM »
<snip>

First off, why not include one of those six in the first wave and ditch the Anakin?

Second, why in cases of EIGHT do they not make the waves in counts of 2 or 4? Two of these sets should have been with Wave 1 and then that would mean that once you throw out the repack Anakin set, you'd have two waves of FOUR packs each and in each case 2x of each pack.

There's a variety of reasons to roll them out this way, which aren't necessarily what I want as a collector (everything now, first, and new.)   Even case packs are great for online stores and mail order catalogs (we love them!), but for retail stores, not so much.  I can't believe (for example) Grand Moff Trachta and a repack Darth Vader is going to be an enormous seller to a general audience unless a kid wants a Vader and that's the only option on the pegs.   It's the whole thing about certain characters always outselling others-- they do this because they believe (and are generally right) that certain characters are going to be more popular and therefore need to ship in greater numbers.

...which makes sense, as Thrawn is pretty popular.  Xizor, uh, well, whatever.  Can't say I get that one being a two-per-case given what happened in 1996... and 1997... and in some regions, 1998.  (Although it's a nice figure.)  Repacking Anakin is an easy sale (a bunch of new buyers are in the line with the big PR push from the movie and toy launch, and it's all new to them) and the set sold really well last time, so keeping it in circulation is good for the bottom line.

As long as figures aren't hanging around too long, Hasbro (and its retail partners) are pretty happy.  Since it seems (from what I've been told by people on all sides of this line) fans aren't buying the entire comic packs range, but tend to be pick-and-choosers, I can see where they're coming from.  I guess at least wave 2 was evenly packed, but that's more of an anamolly these days.   I'm glad I *don't* have the job of determining the casepacks because the last thing I'd want are angry Wal-Mart and Target employees wondering just why the heck Luke's great-great-great-grandson was heavily packed because I thought he was cool. :)
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2008, 05:27 PM »
Quote from: JACKOFTRADZE link=topic=17765.msg388341#msg388341

Still can't believe LFL allowed a white Vader to hit the pegs at mass retail...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:27 PM by ruiner »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 3, 2008, 09:57 AM »
I may buy the white one just for the fun of it though.  Then I think "No, that is a waste of money...but still it would be interesting."  I think I will buy the SOTE Xizor and Leia and use Leia as that dancing girl in Jabba's Palace.  Xizor looks fantastic. 

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #69 on: September 3, 2008, 11:32 AM »

It's a bit goofy and odd at first glance but that's what makes it so interesting. In a galaxy that is so lived in why would anyone don an all white outfit, how is he going to stay so pristine white.....that puzzles me more than LF letting this out.
Maybe he has a tide stick lightsaber to get rid of smudges.......

These comic packs have raised the bar in quality, you all will be very happy with the bulk of them.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 3, 2008, 06:01 PM »

It's a bit goofy and odd at first glance but that's what makes it so interesting. In a galaxy that is so lived in why would anyone don an all white outfit, how is he going to stay so pristine white.....that puzzles me more than LF letting this out.
Maybe he has a tide stick lightsaber to get rid of smudges.......

These comic packs have raised the bar in quality, you all will be very happy with the bulk of them.

Ya it was a stupid concept even for a visionaries/infinities whatever you want to call it, it really shows a complete lack of imagination on the storytellers part.  They come up up with a complete what if universe and all the do for Vader is give him a white suit, WOW!  At least with the other Infinity comic pack Vader looked different besides his color.  We can't blame H for this, though they didn't have to pick to make it into plastic. 
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 5, 2008, 01:43 AM »
Grabbed one each of the Draco/Krieg, Cade/Talon, Leia/Dala, Dengar/Shysa sets tonight on my way home from work.

I haven't opened the two Marvel sets yet, but I did open the two Legacy sets - they are fantastic!

There's only one thing that I noticed was different about my Cade/Talon set when compared to Adam's reviews - my Cade came with both a lit and unlit lightsaber. The hilt is almost all silver with some black grip lines at near the bottom of the handle and the lit saber has a green blade. I think this meant to be Sia's lightsaber from Issue #6 that the two Imperial Knights come with.

So what will be the more common version of the set with or without the lightsaber? I'm going to shoot myself if the "with" set is rarer of the two since I just opened one of those.  :o
« Last Edit: September 5, 2008, 01:47 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 5, 2008, 10:20 AM »
did the same thing w/the Mara Luke set who knew it'd be the more rare one  :-\
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 5, 2008, 05:09 PM »
There's only one thing that I noticed was different about my Cade/Talon set when compared to Adam's reviews - my Cade came with both a lit and unlit lightsaber. The hilt is almost all silver with some black grip lines at near the bottom of the handle and the lit saber has a green blade. I think this meant to be Sia's lightsaber from Issue #6 that the two Imperial Knights come with.

Can you share a picture, by any chance?  I've heard this from one other person and haven't seen it myself.  And I've seen at least 6 of the Cade sets so far.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: September 5, 2008, 05:39 PM »