Author Topic: Legacy Collection Comic Packs  (Read 215144 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Legacy Collection Comic Packs
« Reply #480 on: October 23, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I guess the question I'm left with now is how are comic packs ordered? 

Target and Walmart both use forms of auto-ordering.  At Target, there is a minimum number pre-determined, usually based on the casepack size.  When the count goes below the minimum, the computer system re-orders more.  

At most Targets, the Comic Pack count at the moment is four (half a case).  In other words, you could have 4 comic packs on 3 pegs and the system thinks that is enough inventory.  Even though there is room for another case (or maybe even two), you're never going to get more until the count drops below 4.

That's why it's not just a simple distribution issue.  Hasbro may have more to sell and there may be more at the Target DC waiting to be sold, but the store is never going to get them unless someone buys the duds to get the count low enough to trigger a re-order.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:36 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Corax

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 23, 2009, 02:53 PM »
So what about stores that are below the required number?  My local Wal-Mart has below their required number to replenish and nothing's being shipped to them.  The other thing I wonder is do we even know if DC's have more to ship out once the store hits the magic number?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 23, 2009, 02:54 PM »
I still don't get the arguement that EU figures are hurting/not helping sales.  These are "comic packs" so by definition I would expect to find more EU based characters than OT or PT figures.  We've had this debate before, but I think Cade Wkywalker is a more desired figure than the 47th version of Vader or C3PO.  It's also a way to integrate current toy buyers and comis/EU - maybe getting some of the toy buyers to pick up a comic book or novel here or there to find out more about certain figures or storylines.  

As comic packs, these are always going to sell less than the basic figure series.  I totally understand that some people aren't into EU, but I would argue that some people aren't into multiple versions of the same character either and would easily pass on a Vader/Stormtrooper set.  From a kid perspective, I'd also think kids might be more into an exciting EU storyline from Dark Horse vs. obscure cantina aliens that were only on screen for half a second.  

One additional point here - I think many of today's SW collectors are facing the dilema of money and space constraints.  If you need to cut back on something for either reason (or both), the comic packs are an easy target given their size and added price point.  This could certainly be driving slower CP sales, but I don't think that's solved by issuing OT/PT figures versus EU figures.  
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 23, 2009, 02:59 PM »
So what about stores that are below the required number?  My local Wal-Mart has below their required number to replenish and nothing's being shipped to them.  The other thing I wonder is do we even know if DC's have more to ship out once the store hits the magic number?

This is where I think it comes back to distribution issues again.  If stores are falling below 2-3 packs and either get a case from 2007 or don't get anything at all, how can you blame the lack of sales on anything other than distribution?  

Even though there is room for another case (or maybe even two), you're never going to get more until the count drops below 4.

Also just a correction on Jeff's earlier post - the reorder "pull" system may not kick in to get a new case until the count falls below 4, but there are also "push" systems in place to ship new cases from the distribution centers or clear out the D/Cs periodically.  I've seen stores with counts well above the minimum get additional product shipped in, though I'd agree that the chances of seeing new stuff is much greater when you get below the min count.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 03:01 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #484 on: October 23, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I still don't get the arguement that EU figures are hurting/not helping sales.  These are "comic packs" so by definition I would expect to find more EU based characters than OT or PT figures.  We've had this debate before, but I think Cade Wkywalker is a more desired figure than the 47th version of Vader or C3PO.  It's also a way to integrate current toy buyers and comis/EU - maybe getting some of the toy buyers to pick up a comic book or novel here or there to find out more about certain figures or storylines.  

As comic packs, these are always going to sell less than the basic figure series.  I totally understand that some people aren't into EU, but I would argue that some people aren't into multiple versions of the same character either and would easily pass on a Vader/Stormtrooper set.  From a kid perspective, I'd also think kids might be more into an exciting EU storyline from Dark Horse vs. obscure cantina aliens that were only on screen for half a second.  

One additional point here - I think many of today's SW collectors are facing the dilema of money and space constraints.  If you need to cut back on something for either reason (or both), the comic packs are an easy target given their size and added price point.  This could certainly be driving slower CP sales, but I don't think that's solved by issuing OT/PT figures versus EU figures.  
The basic line though is also supposedly suffering from reduced sales...so if both are down the Comic Packs are down further just based on the character mix.  While I don't advocate putting in movie figures in to the packs I think that having a narrow scope is a part of the problem.  

I don't think the EU thing is the major problem...the POTF2 Malikili repacking of sets continually does not help.  Especially in such a collector focused line where most people only need the new sets.

And while you may not want Vader #24 or Luke #33, kids do which is in the end moves the product out of the stores.  When is the last time you saw a main character not sell?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 03:46 PM by Scott »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #485 on: October 24, 2009, 12:30 AM »
So what about stores that are below the required number?  My local Wal-Mart has below their required number to replenish and nothing's being shipped to them.  The other thing I wonder is do we even know if DC's have more to ship out once the store hits the magic number?

My guesss here, and this is just what I was trying to convey Corax, is that the "minimums" have been lowered...  That's what I'm afraid of at least, as I think I'm seeing similar to what you are, in that there's a LOT of room on the pegs for comic packs and stores aren't getting them.  There's a possibility that Hasbro's got issues with manufacturing on these too, that happens from time to time, but I don't think so.  I'm thinking retail's seen a decline in sales, and so they've put a reduction on the minimum before ordering so they can shrink the shelf space for them or something.

My WM condensed its comic packs last reset...  This is my nearest store, and now they've got relatively fuller pegs.

Target on the other hand has the same ammount of space but get (at best) a case in at a time.  They just got one in the last day because there's remnants of the new comic packs (the repacked ones) and the SOTE sets (3 of them).  That's about 6 comic packs total on all the space for them.

I don't think the EU thing is the major problem...the POTF2 Malikili repacking of sets continually does not help.

The above quote really struck home to me...  SOTE Leia/Xixor is like FLYSHIT here, and so are a number of Marvel packs.  It's ugly.  It's Yarna ugly.  If retail's looking at condensing space then on these at all, these lingering sets really gum up the works.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 24, 2009, 10:33 AM »
I haven't thought about it since I'm caught up on the comic packs, but now that they're in discussion, all my stores are overloaded with them.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Corax

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 24, 2009, 12:16 PM »
Are they overloaded with current packs Darth_Anton or older packs?  From the latest round of Q and A's it sounds like the comic packs are a go for the Spring of 2010 and they are hopeful that what is out there now sells through during the holiday season.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #488 on: October 24, 2009, 01:36 PM »
BAD figures are coming in now, a case at a time, but there have been no comic packs since spring.  The pegs are half full.  The info about minimums is very helpful - I think retail's interest in these as an SKU is probably going way, way down.  To me, it's a combo of things: the economy and the loss of collectors; somewhat poor character selection in these most recent packs (they don't do lots of Leias in the basic line for the same reason they don't do lots of Padmes - yet they did three in a row in the CP's this year, two of which you can find anywhere.)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #489 on: October 24, 2009, 03:56 PM »
I got the Luke/Lumiya pack a few days ago and finally popped it open.  The Luke headsculpt is probably the best one to date as far as likeness...and I promptly put it on the VTSC Luke Bespin...the improvement is amazing.  I'll try and get a shot tonight
Finally got a picture of this

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:59 PM by Scott »

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 24, 2009, 11:29 PM »
Damn ... my local Targets haven't seen the age of the new comic packs yet ... all they have is Leia/Xizor  >:(
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 25, 2009, 10:38 AM »
Are they overloaded with current packs Darth_Anton or older packs?  From the latest round of Q and A's it sounds like the comic packs are a go for the Spring of 2010 and they are hopeful that what is out there now sells through during the holiday season.

Last wave before the new packaging and the re-packs from the new packaging.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 25, 2009, 11:57 AM »
I got the Luke/Lumiya pack a few days ago and finally popped it open.  The Luke headsculpt is probably the best one to date as far as likeness...and I promptly put it on the VTSC Luke Bespin...the improvement is amazing.  I'll try and get a shot tonight
Finally got a picture of this

That is 100% win.  I am going to have to track that comic pack down now.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 25, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Cripes, the shelves are filthy with these things around here.

I'd be willing to buy any of these things you guys need in exchange for TCW Wave 7. (Padme, Matchstick, etc)I need all 4...

I am just completely over waiting for this &*@#! wave to arrive already...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 26, 2009, 12:30 AM »
I completely understand Hasbro's rationale with the concept of the reissue as placeholder.  But they did so many reissues that I only see those, and not the new comic 2-packs.

I wound up getting the new comic 2-packs at Toys R Us Holiday Express stores.  And that was simply because a lot of other collectors hadn't discovered them, and the only really new stock in those stores has been the comic 2-packs and the starfighter vehicles.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback