Author Topic: ICMG, Yarna...now what?  (Read 16086 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: ICMG, Yarna...now what?
« Reply #15 on: July 6, 2008, 04:17 PM »
I would get behind a Tonnika Sisters movement.  I really would like those 2 in my collection.  If they never make them I am fine with it especially since they have produced so many characters I never thought they would even consider.  I am actually starting to believe that whole rights issue since they release anything nowadays.  They know there is a little niche group that would scarf up the Sisters in a heartbeat.  I am just happy to see 4 cantina aliens coming in one wave soon. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: July 6, 2008, 04:23 PM »
If we're going for "simply needs done, and done right", I think you all should be backing a new Rebel Fleet Trooper, a new Rebel Hoth Trooper, and a new Rebel Endor Trooper...  all done to Imperial trooper standards at this point.  I mean, seriously...  When the honor guard is your best rebel figure, you've got issues.

If we're going film obscurity...  I'm with DB.  We need Garouf Lafoe...  He's been on my wishlist for ages now, and sure he's dull and just a human, but he's the guy that snitches on Obi-Wan in the Cantina...  How do you not get Garindan's competition!?  A close second for me would then be any one of the human "thugs" Jabba takes to the Falcon with him.  In particular though, pointy hat guy and big bearded guy are my favorites.  There's a dude looks like Biggs too, in Luke's dumb hat, and honestly any of those guys would rock.

If we're going "EU" obscurity ala the holiday special...  Eh, I dunno.  I can't get behind anything from the Ewok movies, or Ewoks/Droids cartoons.  Those weren't really popular when they were on TV, so really unless it's the beast Boba's riding, I'm just not into that...  The Ewok movies are cute, but not my thing.

I could dig Ackmena but I doubt I really get into "backing" a fan push for her...  I'd rather Chewie's family first, but that's me.  I like Wookiee variety.

For EU obscurity I dunno...  I'd rather see film obscurity first, like Mr. Lafoe...  Come on, Cantina snitch!  You know you want one and the Cantina can't just be all aliens in there besides the heroes...  Gotta sprinkle some humans in since they're the most common species in the galaxy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 6, 2008, 04:33 PM »
Truth be told, I'd get behind any fan request.  It really doesn't matter who to me!  If enough people think a movement could get by whatever real or imagined reason Hasbro does not make the Tonnika sisters, then I'll join it too!  JJ, I would have definitely mentioned those rebel troops you did (human troops are my single favorite character category!) but I'm just so convinced they'll be made within the next 2 years.  I think Hasbro has at least suggested the Echo trooper is coming within a couple Hoth waves.  To follow the Yarna and ICMG successes, the choice has to be someone Hasbro guys wouldn't have thought we'd find exciting, but sort of tickles their nostalgic tendencies too.  The Tonnika girls fit that, but again- the dumb avoidance by Hasbro suggests a real reason they're not producing them.  The fact that ICMG would ever have been made is a miraculous feat to me, so someone like Lafoe or Yerka would be much more likely given their cantina appearance.  Anyway, someone start a webpage and I'll be there to sign it!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 6, 2008, 05:36 PM »

...or Ackmena with Giant Rat.

The Rat better be SA, or I'm not buying it.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 6, 2008, 05:55 PM »
The thread is about who the collectors are going to get behind next, my point is that there have been 10+ characters already named in this thread and each person has their own idea who that should be.  I don't see any massive groundswell for any single character.

Agreed. There really aren't any one or two characters left that a large number of people can get behind.

Yarna had a following I think more for the fact that she was a figure we "almost" got in the vintage line. Hasbro quelled requests for Yak Face early, as well as for characters that had never been made before, i.e. Tarkin & Slave Leia. It took some time, but as someone pointed out we even got Ephant Mon for the first time and an updated Amanaman. We've also gotten Uncle Owen (granted he needs to be re-done at this point) and Aunt Beru figures, something we never had before.

If I were to pick one thing that they collector community could easily get behind, it would probably be the completion of remaking the vintage figures.

Heck, once they're done with those, we could then start to petition them for figures from the two live-action Ewok movies and updates of the Ewok and Droids figure lines. I think lowest on the list should be figures from the Holiday Special - specifically Chewie's family and Ackema.

« Last Edit: July 6, 2008, 06:02 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 6, 2008, 11:55 PM »
The Rat better be SA, or I'm not buying it.

:)

If I were to pick one thing that they collector community could easily get behind, it would probably be the completion of remaking the vintage figures.

Sim Aloo! Yeah! ;D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 7, 2008, 01:30 AM »
I think the Tonnika sisters are definitely something the collecting community can get behind.  The fact that they're in the cantina scene certainly adds to their cache'.  But it seems like we've gotten so many conflicting answers from Hasbro and one of the actors that I don't know what to regard as the real deal.  And that makes me think that's how Hasbro wants it to be.  I think a decision got made about the Tonnika's between Hasbro and Lucas Licensing and they've decided to let confusion rule instead of giving us a straight answer.  And when you factor in the whole "Star Whores" nickname... that certainly doesn't help the cause.

I think that completing the vintage figure line is a cause worth getting behind.  We're pretty close to that mark now, and it seems like a realistic goal.  As long as people can agree about what's really done and what isn't done.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 7, 2008, 02:39 AM »
For REAL the Tonnika sisters.

For FUN, Bea Arthur/Ackmena http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ackmena
« Last Edit: July 7, 2008, 02:40 AM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 7, 2008, 09:27 AM »
I get the point of the thread, I just don't get a fire under my butt to get behind really obscure characters. I'd rather put energy into getting some of the remaining classics out of the way like Jabba's palace Klaatu. In regards to the spirit of the thread, in my non-committal way, I'm just trying to say I could kind of support an Ewok TV movie character over some of the other characters mentioned, though which one doesn't matter.

But if you really want a suggestion, then I'll take the Alien Bespin Security Guard who I believe never appeared on screen - Urtis M'Toc.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #24 on: July 7, 2008, 11:38 AM »
Ackmena seems to be the most popular 3rd rate character popping up on these kinds of forum polls. I actually want a figure of her and would gladly sign the petition for her. The classic characters that need to be redone will be eventually. If there is going to be a new petition for a figure lets rally for an obscure character that would otherwise never be made.

Ackmena has my vote!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #25 on: July 7, 2008, 01:31 PM »
I have no problem with Ackmena especially if it means getting us more Holiday Special figures. I really want the Wookie family.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #26 on: July 7, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Beside the perennial favorites of the Tonnika Sisters, my personal choice would be for the human Jabba from ANH cutscene. I figure he'd have a decent enough shot now that LFL/Hasbro has opened the door for cutscene figures.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 03:42 AM »
It seems Ackmeena is the only weirdo figure to have any genuine momentum behind her, but coming from the Holiday Special might make Lucasfilm shoot her down.  (Although we did get Boba, so... who knows.)

Fan momentum, positive or otherwise, did result in Wuher, BoShek, Gargan, and soon, the Ice Cream Maker Guy.  All movie characters, many of which were genuinely neat ideas for a figure, but mostly had a heavy ha-ha wouldn't-it-be-funny-if factor that helped fans demand it.   (And there was the vintage Gargan proto, which surely helped.)

If the Tonnika girls didn't have all this alleged legal baggage, I'm sure we'd have them and not even need to ask Hasbro to make them.  Heck, Galoob even made one of them.

Personally, I'd push hard for Vlix, but nobody else seems to be vocal about him.  Ackmeena is getting a lot of buzz, especially from Adam May over at GH, so I'd say if a fan rally were about to start, it'd definitely be her.  Bea Arthur absolutely has the smirk appeal that carried eyeballs to BoShek, Gargan, and ICMG, it's just such a weirdly appealing idea for a toy that it would seem extremely unlikely that fans will not start demanding this one over the next 18 months.  No matter how much sense Klaatu would make, or a super-articulated Rebel from Endor, the Tantive IV, or Hoth, or anything else... you can't out-weird Bea Arthur as a space bartender.  (Except maybe one of the Harvey Korman characters.)
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 05:55 PM »
Two words: Noa Briqualon.

This might be one of our few chances to see Mr. Wilford Brimley immortalized in plastic. Don't waste it.

Although it would be a collector-oriented release, it would obviously be a peg warmer. And what kid would want to play with this?!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline commandernarra

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 11:47 PM »
The Holiday special has some great cantina guys, but if we ever get Ackmena I'd want a Tork http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tork as well, ever since I saw him on the cover of an old Starlog. ;D