Author Topic: Who Is Not Buying?  (Read 29879 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Who Is Not Buying?
« on: July 7, 2008, 02:48 PM »
From curto at RS

the word is that the animated style look has been VERY well received and Hasbro will be making oh, so many more that what they originally had planned. I

This is the first time in a long long time I have absolutely NO interest in collecting 3-3/4" Star Wars figures.  I don't care for the stylized look and really don't see the point in this series/movie.  Call my cynical and I will bring my kids to the movies but I'm not buying a dang thing and I don't think I'm alone (or am I :-\)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Who Is Not Buying?
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2008, 02:57 PM »
Eh, there's just too much stuff anymore.  I wanted to leave on a high note so I quit after TAC. 

It was fun while it lasted - I'll still pick up a half dozen or so Indy figures and maybe one or two SW figures but for the most part I've grown weary of collecting.  It turned into more of a chore vs. a hobby.  Ordering whole cases and returning the extras to WM for store credit is not my idea of fun.

Besides, I think it's quite obvious that the focus is leaning towards EU - which only makes sense - they've pretty much gone through all of the major characters / costumes.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with EU, it's just not my cup of tea - I have no idea who 90% of the characters are.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2008, 03:08 PM »
I'm staying away from the animated clone wars stuff entirely. There is just too much stuff that doesn't look very new and exciting. I plan on collecting very few, if any, legacy figures the rest of the year. Way less than last year in total. You could probably count them on one hand if that.

Now don't get wrong, I like the EU stuff but I've just run out of room and need to direct my money at some more important manners (ie. mortgage payoff). No matter how many I want to, I'm not buying the BMF or ATTE. Every little bit helps. Besides, I need to get back into customizing and use up my customizing fodder. 
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2008, 03:18 PM »
I'd probably actually buy movie likeness versions (I'm in for Wave 2 of Legacy), and I originally bought the Animated Figures back in the day (which I then got rid of)

I just see the lack of posts and threads here and elsewhere as a general malaise over the whole Clone Wars deal.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 7, 2008, 03:24 PM »
I'll only be collecting the Legacy line, no animated CW for me. Well, scratch that, I may get a Captain Rex, as he's a new character, but that's it.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 7, 2008, 03:41 PM »
This year has been weird. It started out by giving us the same last two waves as last year but with stands instead of coins. We then got TFU figures and toys for a game that STILL isn't out yet. Now all of that stuff is on clearance and gone before the game is released. Very bad timing there. Then we wait two months with absolutely nothing being released (besides the Rancor and uninspired two packs). Now all the new stuff is based on a poorly scripted and animated kid's CG movie that was suppost to be a TV episode. Thanks to the TFU delay this year has been one giant F-up for Hasbro.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2008, 03:42 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: July 7, 2008, 03:59 PM »
This is the first time in a long long time I have absolutely NO interest in collecting 3-3/4" Star Wars figures.  I don't care for the stylized look and really don't see the point in this series/movie.  Call my cynical and I will bring my kids to the movies but I'm not buying a dang thing and I don't think I'm alone (or am I :-\)

I'm not...  And it makes me appreciate looking at the animated stuff more then because I know I'm not buying it.

I'm going to get an AT-TE or two, I'm going to get Spider Droids and V-19 Torrent Fighters, but I'm not getting figures...  I ordered a Rex because, well, I like "free" stuff in the mail.  But I'm not shedding any tears at the thought of not buying these exclusive troopers, and the various other figures.  I feel good that I'm only buying realistic stuff, and that it's not going to be a deluge like the animated figures will, for $8 a pop at that.

I think maybe Curto maybe meant "well received" by Hasbro and LFL, but there's not a lot of data to say they're a hit at retail...  That doesn't mean I think they won't be though.  To be honest, if the cartoon is as good as it seems it may be, I think they may be a hit and we may be in for more and more animated stuff...  And ultimately, the animated stuff is sculpted very well, and it's got great accessories, and it's a great toy line for the media it supports.  I'd like some (all?) of it reliastically sculpted at some point in time, but who knows if Hasbro will or not?  Not I...  I'd like to think they will, or at least the Clones and main new characters, but you never know.

I think the cartoon though, looks amazing.  I think the story sounds cool, I think the characters and ships sound neat.  I think the direction they take the war to "bridge the gap" is neat.  I'm excited for a movie/media for Star Wars, and for the first time ever I'm 100% not interested in the toys that go with it...  Well, 80% since I do want the vehicles and realistic sculpted items I guess, but you get the drift.

I'll have Evolutions, comic packs, legacy basic figures, vehicles and more to worry about financially, so I'm actually cartwheeling mentally at the thought of not shelling out a lot for the figures that, to me at this point, are a 100% separate line of the basic line.  They're the same as the 2D animated figures.  They just don't fit, and I'm not collecting this line, Mighty Muggs, Bobble Heads, Deformed Figures, Choppers, Unleashed, or any of these other "sub lines".  That's how I look at the animated figures.

I'll add too that I read somwhere (here I think?) that you're not allowed to post new threads over there...  Maybe that's why there's not much talk on the animated stuff there?  Just speculating but I'd say putting a tight leash on the people (kiddies, which rs is filled with) who actually may have the most interest in them would curtail their conversation on it.  I think so long as the toon does well, the animated stuff will do well, but I don't think adult collectors are going to care for it much...  I'd say maybe 3/4 won't and 1/4 may find it interesting.  Just from what I've read anyway, it seems pretty lopsided in the adult community...  Kids will make or break that line.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2008, 04:31 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 7, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Well I am just in a position where I simply can not buy a lot of stuff anymore anyway.  It's been that way for awhile now.  I actually like the look of the new animated series.  The whole animated style does not bother me at all.  I don't blame Hasbro for making them that way either.  They are going to get a whole new generation of youngins from this that will buy up this stuff like mad.  It's clonetroopers and Jedis.  Come on if you were kid you would be eating this stuff up like mad admit it.  I will admit that a lot of the animated figures just don't appeal to me that much.  But I don't know if I would like them any more or less if they were realistic either? 

But no I will not be buying a lot of figures from this series.  A few for sure.  I will be buying the vehicles though, but most of them are from the prequels that I want.  I want the AT-TE and Spider Droid for certain.  I have wanted those two vehicles since Attack of the Clones.  I may buy another Republic Gunship if I can swing it.  My son will probably want or take any vehicle honestly.  He is only 3 and a half but he likes just about any Star Wars vehicle so long as a figure can ride in it.  He gets excited everytime he sees a commercial/trailer for Clone Wars.  I did not encourage it either.  He gets that way on his own.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 7, 2008, 09:08 PM »
I've thought long and hard about this. I originally hated them...but now that I'm in that 'new movie' state of mind, they're growing on me. Well, that's a lie. The clones are growing on me. Obi-Wan, Grievous and friends are still lame. So I will happily pick up Rex, and I will happily pick up a dozen or so clones to fill up my AT-TE. Other than that, it looks like the vast majority of this line will be a pass for me. I prefer six boobied dancers and realistic-style Tarkovowsky (SP?) stuff to funky looking, action-feature infested toys from a 'movie' that will probably suck (sadly enough).

Anyways, that's my two cents.

They just don't fit, and I'm not collecting this line, Mighty Muggs **snip** or any of these other "sub lines". 

But...but...what did these chunky little crack idols ever do to you? All they want is to bring joy to the Star Wars aisle and bring smiles to the faces of collectors and kids alike. :'(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: July 7, 2008, 09:21 PM »
I own a Chewbacca so I can't say I abstained completely, but they're really overpriced and worthless to me.  Sorry MM's, you're just not as awesome as you claim.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2008, 09:23 PM »
I'm in a similar boat, but maybe a step ahead (or behind as the case may be).  I swore off getting these initially because I'm...

A.) Running out of space
B.) Not a big fan of them not fitting in with all of the other figs since POTF2
C.) Running out of money
D.) All of the above

After seeing Yoda and Obi, I was pretty happy with my decision.  I do like Anakin and the clones though, and was going to get the AT-TE and mail-away clone, so for the last month or so I've been talking myself into and was just about set on getting them.

Then a week or so ago I heard about all the ridiculous exclusive clones.   ::)  I'm not interested in spending $100 for 5-6 exclusive clones and if I'm not getting those, then I don't need to be a completist with everything else.  So maybe I'll get a few figs here and there, but definitely not doing my 2x or more of each figure with this line.  Way to chase away your consumers Hasbro!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 7, 2008, 10:44 PM »
I'm buying the Clone Wars stuff that is movie-realistic.  I am still not totally sold on the animated figures, and I've resigned myself to seeing the final product in my hands before buying a single animated figure.  As for the new vehicles?  I'm a lock for those.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #12 on: July 8, 2008, 12:08 AM »
I'm only buying the BMF Falcon.  I may get a few figures down the road, but none of them will be animated figures.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2008, 06:15 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #13 on: July 8, 2008, 12:37 AM »
Well, I actually like most of what we've seen--animated and movie-style--but I've done what I've been threatening for years and gone basically cold turkey.

Like a few of you have expressed, it was becoming more work than fun, even though I've always been far from a completist. Add that to figure prices passing seven bucks, gas hitting four, and shift of disposable spending towards books, music, booze, etc., and the whole enterprise just seemed like a waste.

If these had come out two or three years ago, I'd be all over 'em like drool on a Hutt, but for me the CW ship has sailed I think. :'(

That said, I would like to go back and catch up someday; I don't anticipate the majority of this stuff being that hard to find in the long run.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2008, 12:28 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 8, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Vehicles under the CW packaging line I"m getting (not the speeder bike patrol though).

Animated figs I'm NOT getting. As others mentioned they just don't completely fit with the realistic line.

While I did buy the previous Animated line from the original CW cartoon,those were few. This new cartoon looks like it's going to have legs for at least a little while.

I just don't want to "re" collect many of the same characters over again.

Hasbro did say in a recent Q&A (though I can't recall where) that most of the characters in CW would be done in realistic style. At that point I'll get Fox, Asoka, and any others in the realistic style.
I'm a bit torn on the clones however. While I won't get any of the animated style, I also do not want to army build these AOTC styled/ROTS semi-decoed clones. Heck, I don't even want to squad build them. But I now that if I get one, I'm going to want to squad build at the least. So THAT is making me think over the while idea of even buying ANY CW figs be they animated or realistic style.

I'm hoping kids go for the animated style while older people such as myself and the greater "collective" go for the Legacy line. That will help balance it out.

My decision to cut my budget in half for SW this year predated finding out about the CW animated line. So this just makes it easier to stick to the budget plan.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010