Author Topic: Who Is Not Buying?  (Read 29877 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Who Is Not Buying?
« Reply #15 on: July 8, 2008, 09:51 AM »
I'm not buying any of the figures. Ships yes, figures no.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 8, 2008, 10:51 AM »
At first I was really against the animated style figures, but they really have grown on me. The first wave of The Legacy Collection does not interest me anyway except for Luke so I figure I will get most of the first wave of The Clone Wars. I will just have to display them away from my other figures.
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 8, 2008, 11:08 AM »
Eh, there's just too much stuff anymore.  I wanted to leave on a high note so I quit after TAC. 

It was fun while it lasted - I'll still pick up a half dozen or so Indy figures and maybe one or two SW figures but for the most part I've grown weary of collecting.  It turned into more of a chore vs. a hobby.  Ordering whole cases and returning the extras to WM for store credit is not my idea of fun.

Besides, I think it's quite obvious that the focus is leaning towards EU - which only makes sense - they've pretty much gone through all of the major characters / costumes.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with EU, it's just not my cup of tea - I have no idea who 90% of the characters are.

That pretty strongly reflects about everything I feel towards this line.  I think I'm less opposed to the stylized approach than a lot of other people - I still have my animated CW stuff from the first go around and I still like it. 

I can't say I won't buy any of this stuff, but I'm sure not complete on anything these days anyway, even OT stuff.  But I'm definitely phasing back on stuff.  Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go wait for the EFX stormtrooper helmet to go on sale ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 8, 2008, 11:24 AM »
definately out on the figures, the only way I'll but is for an accessory like the rocket trooper, that thing looks pretty damn cool, I figure I can trade the trooper for another launcher down the road, but that's about it except for the vehicles of course.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 8, 2008, 12:33 PM »
The problem is if this is typical of the star wars collector, these animated figures are going to be clogging the pegs for the next year. They will be taking away space from legecy stuff. This makes me worry that Hasbro will overdo it in CW quanity.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #20 on: July 8, 2008, 12:35 PM »
The problem is if this is typical of the star wars collector, these animated figures are going to be clogging the pegs for the next year. They will be taking away space from legecy stuff. This makes me worry that Hasbro will overdo it in CW quanity.

Kind of like the Indy figs are now.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 8, 2008, 03:03 PM »
Good topic, I've been curious what everyone is thinking of doing with this line.  I've kind of gone back and forth on the Clone Wars figures.  I'm in the minority as well here, but I don't really mind the style (although I'd rather have realistic styled figures as well) - and I understand totally why Hasbro is going this route alongside the movie/series.  Also, I always enjoy animation, so I'm looking forward to the movie and a weekly dose of Star Wars quite a bit.

I have the earlier Animated figures, and still display them, and enjoy them for what they are.  If this upcoming line was more of a limited thing like "collect all 20 Clone Wars Animated figures", I'd be all in most likely.  But, it is sounding like this could go on for awhile (and with a cartoon that could be on for years, I'd say it is somewhat likely), and at this point I just don't know where I'd put them all.  Like others have mentioned, you can't really display them along the rest of the line - due to the difference in styles - so it would have to be its own display.  That's fine for a limited line, but if it goes to 50, 100, 200 figures that gets a lot more difficult.  Also, as mentioned earlier, there is just a crazy amount of stuff coming out the rest of the year (and the last couple years), and the price/pace is starting to take its toll.  I'm surprised just in this thread alone how many people mention their malaise with SW collecting, and taking a break or a big step back.

Originally, I had planned on picking one of each figures up (at least for the most part), for a small display (no army building or any of that) - and I'm sure that I'll pick up at least a few figures along the way.  I'm not sure if I'll buy them right away or not though.  As far as the 26th goes, the Falcon is my top priority to pick up - after that we'll see.  I'll probably grab the Legacy figures as well if I find them, and if I can afford it - the AT-TE.  Like others have mentioned, I enjoy the vehicles as well since they kept the same style.

Overall, as a number of people have mentioned lately, display space/price/release pace/etc. is really becoming more and more of an issue lately.  I've considered from time to time cutting back to OT only to save money/space, but just haven't been able to do that.  I do enjoy the entire Saga (although OT more), so I still like picking things up from all over the SW universe.  As far as the EU focus lately, I also don't know who a lot of the characters are, so that makes it a bit easier to pass on some things.  Anyways, as I said, I am excited for the movie (and the series), so I can't say I won't pick anything up - but I'm sort of wait and see right now.  I have to say that seeing how many people here are not interested in the line might make it easier to pass.  It seems like sometimes reading other people's thoughts, reviews, etc. makes it more tempting to pick something up that you are on the fence about.  It looks like a very small minority here will be collecting the Animated line in any capacity, at least from the replies so far.  I'll likely pick at least some of the line up, but its down on the priority list a little ways for the time being.  I just can't afford it all in one month.  If it was all realistic styled figures, I'd be on board fully.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2008, 03:46 PM by Brian »

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 8, 2008, 11:57 PM »
I'm buying. I'm just unsure of how much. Like many of you, I'm all over the vehicles. 2 AT-TEs, 4 Spiders, 2-4 V-19s, a couple of Gunships. As for the figures, I know I'll get some but I don't know how many. On the 26th I'm down for 4-8 Clones and 4-8 Battle Droids. The animated and weathered figures really appeal to me for some reason, so I don't think a small collection will hurt. I cannot justify many basic figures due to the $8 price and the other option for figures. (5 for $20 in the Battle Packs) The Clone Wars line will be very pick and choose for me due to the battle Packs being much better values. I cannot say that I'll be getting a lot of the Legacy line, either. I'm game for a Ak-Rev, Bane Malar, a couple of Ewoks, and 4 of those IG Droids. Then I'm done until whatever comes next. Overall I'll be very selective with both figures and army building. I'm going to try to avoid the clean deco figures (especially Clone Troopers) if a dirty deco is available... this is how I roll with my current collection so I'll continue with the animated stuff.

My biggest problem thus far is with the release information for the 26th and beyond. For the ROTS launch, Toy Fair was a couple of months before so we had a really good idea of what to expect. For The Clone Wars, we only know of two (maybe three) waves of figures that will be available. Other than that, we know of two $20 vehicles, some Evolutions, and the big vehicle's. For all we know the rest could be repacks... more repacked $20 vehicles, battle packs, and comic packs. Sure, I'm looking forward to July 26th but I'm pissed that I'll most likely know what to expect a couple of days/nights before.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #23 on: July 9, 2008, 12:06 AM »

I don't agree at all.  The show will make thise things fly off the shelves on a weekly basis.  These are the ones parents will by for kids.  We're in a win-win situation here.  Hasbro will make a killing with the CW line, so Legacy will be lumped in with the Sw success and all will be well.

I'm buying.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #24 on: July 9, 2008, 01:10 AM »
I go back and forth on these. I want to buy something that's new for Star Wars, but this just might be 'too new'. I will buy the vehicles, except the AT-TE and Falcon. I just have no room for them, which is becoming more and more of a problem. I have too many collecting interests to buy really big things.

I am in for Legacy, though. Hopefully, like speedermike said, people keep buying the CW toys and Legacy gets well-stocked as well. I hope we don't see a situation where Legacy is nonexistant while CW toys are everywhere and not moving.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #25 on: July 9, 2008, 08:14 AM »
I am so undecided on these. I am not crazy about them but i know myself. Every time i pass on something i end up regretting it and track it down later and pay more when i coul dhave just bought them at retail. I did it with the freeze frame figures, i did it with the original clone wars stuff, and i have done it with random other figures in other lines. It might just be easier to buy them up front. I have no idea.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 9, 2008, 05:15 PM »

I don't agree at all.  The show will make thise things fly off the shelves on a weekly basis.  These are the ones parents will by for kids.  We're in a win-win situation here.  Hasbro will make a killing with the CW line, so Legacy will be lumped in with the Sw success and all will be well.

I'm buying.

I don't agree. I havn't seen one movie related toy line fly off the shelves this summer because of kid demand. Batman, Hulk, Ironman and Indy are all stinking up the pegs around here. I still haven't seen wave 3 or 4 of Indy. The pegs are too full.  The only one that seems to be moving is Speed Racer just because its toy car based. That's the same reason Cars still does well at retail.

If Hasbro over does it (and they will) we won't be able to absorb these without alot of help from the kids. It sounds like alot of us aren't going to help the situation either. I know I'm not. I think we are in the last years folks.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2008, 05:17 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 9, 2008, 05:19 PM »
The only one that seems to be moving is Speed Racer just because its toy car based. That's the same reason Cars still does well at retail.

So there is somewhere that Speed Racer is selling?  Well I guess that's good news because it's the worst of the bunch for clogging stuff up where I am.  Cars stuff moves, regular Hot Wheels move, Speed Racer sits.  And sits.  And sits. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Happy Noodle Boy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Anything worth doing is worth doing right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 9, 2008, 07:46 PM »
Well, to echo other sentiments, I think I'll pass on the majority of CW and Legacy.

The main point being price and uninteresting figures overall. While the BMF and ATTE look cool, dropping that much $$$ on them is obscene for me. With gas and other stuff going way up, it's a nusiance to try to go to 5 or 6 stores looking for stuff.

As someone also said in the first few posts here, collecting is becoming more a chore than a hobby. Even the stuff I have now that I searched at for at stores or furiously searched different trade/sale forums, I look at and say "meh, it's ok now that I have it." I'll try to get the few things I want with either trades or getting stuff here or RS.

I don't think the pegs will be full of the CW stuff since there are plenty of fans and kids and TONS of scalpers.

Only stuff I may get are Obi, Anakin, (maybe) Ashoka, and a couple of plain white clone troopers, and a Legacy Ilum Padme. Other than that, it's a BIG PASS on everything.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 12:38 AM »
I'm not buying anything that is animation-style.  I'll pick up a homing droid and an AT-TE if I can figure out where to put it...  and I'm really really excited about all the figures coming up in the Legacy line, but I have no interest in anything that is sculpted to look like a cartoon.

And I'm excited about the small fortune I'll be saving.  I hope the line does great and that kids and collectors love it and that Hasbro makes a killing on it - if they make a ton of cash they can probably afford to take more chances on obscure movie characters that I'll be into.