Author Topic: Who Is Not Buying?  (Read 29955 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Who Is Not Buying?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 12:49 AM »
I don't agree. I havn't seen one movie related toy line fly off the shelves this summer because of kid demand. Batman, Hulk, Ironman and Indy are all stinking up the pegs around here. I still haven't seen wave 3 or 4 of Indy. The pegs are too full.  The only one that seems to be moving is Speed Racer just because its toy car based. That's the same reason Cars still does well at retail.

If Hasbro over does it (and they will) we won't be able to absorb these without alot of help from the kids. It sounds like alot of us aren't going to help the situation either. I know I'm not. I think we are in the last years folks.

I'm surprised that you have Iron Man figures lining the pegs near you.  Haven't seen the others sell very well, but I live in the land of 1,000 Targets and none of the ones near me have had IM figs for over a month.  The endcap they dedicated was too small and these things old like hot cakes once the movie established itself.  I do think there will be stronger demand for the CW stuff - star wars always sells better than crap like Hulk because it just has that much bigger fan base.

I'm also surprised to read all of these posts and see most people say they will buy the new vehicles.  Wasn't that long ago that Hasbro was frequently stating they could not sculpt new vehicles and expect to make a profit, and here we have a new line where most collectors seem to only be interested inthe new vehicles.  I'm curious to know if times have changed or if Hasbro has always under estimated the demand for these.  Or maybe they just came up with the a few kick butt ideas all at once.  I'm in the vehicle buyer crowd - definitely going to find a way to get the BMF Falcon and at least an AT-TE if not two.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 02:49 PM »
What I gathered from Q&A's over the last year or so implied to me that vehicles were costly and didn't always move well but Hasbro's used the "repaint and rerelease" formula like with figures to get out new vehicles periodically...  I guess things like the Sith Infiltrator wouldn't have made it to retail without umpteen Jedi Fighter re-releases, etc.  Basically the figure formula is working on a smaller scale with vehicles...

On the "big vehicles" front though, we reported a story a while back that the major/ultimate reason Hasbro took the big leap on those was due to the sales rates of other large toys last holiday season.  In particular a creepy animatronic pony that did phenomenally well, and surprised them.  Coupled with the CW release/push then the notion of some big SW vehicles for big prices seemed like a pretty great idea, and here we are...  I think their messages of "if these do well...  " have been pretty true then.  If the Falcon or TE do well, they'll strongly consider other larger items.  If they don't, they won't.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 05:03 PM »
I guess things like the Sith Infiltrator wouldn't have made it to retail without umpteen Jedi Fighter re-releases, etc.

That undersized monstrosity should have never made it to shelves.  But that's a different discussion...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 05:11 PM »
I'm happy for the people content with it that really just wanted that ship in some form...  But yeah, I agree.  Then again, I think FX X-Wings are too dinky and unacceptable, so I'm probably in the minority on that one.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 08:36 PM »
I'm not buying any of the Animated except for Grievous.

And I'm buying about 70% of the Legacy which will be pretty much all of the Evolutions and 50% of the carded collection, basically just the new figures.

The animated just does not do it for me at all.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 08:48 PM »
Well due to my space issue I can't fit anymore vehicles so I am only collecting figures for now. I was planning on getting the TE since pictures were first shown however the Falcon was way bigger than I expected so the TE cant even fit anymore. In terms of the animated line I am in. I love some anime shows (mostly just Gundam and DBZ) and the figures resemble the same style as those toy lines so it appeals to my interests. The build a droid deal looks fun so I will join in on that aswell but I am hoping if some of the figures are a let down I can just find some of the army builders with the pieces I am missing. Evolutions are also the thing I am most looking forward too. I love rebel pilots so both those sets are a must for me.

So basically no vehicles except for maybe the A-wing when it comes out only because the A-Wing is my fav. fighter. All of Legacy wave 1 and Clone wars wave 1, and evo of course. I am more pumped for Legacy wave 2 though.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 11:51 PM »
I'm about 95% sure that I won't be grabbing any animated Clone Wars figures, there's just too much duplication of figures I already have -- I just don't want to start over again.  On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to the movie and TV show.

Ah well, there's just so many other goodies in the Legacy line that have grabbed my eye instead.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 09:20 AM »
I've passed the temptation test. I've seen the figures on the shelf, liked them, but left them there. There is no chance I'll be getting any of these figures (save for the one that came with the At-Te.)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 12:53 PM »
What I want and what I will buy are 2 very different things.  It looks like at the moment I will not be able to charge up either the AT-TE or Millenium Falcon.  Why?  We are redoing my son's room and putting all sorts of stuff on the charge card unfortunately making the minimum payment a to high for our taste.  If I throw on a Falcon or AT-TE that won't be good for us. 

So, now I am down to the cheaper vehicles.  I will most likely get the Spider Droid for $20.  I will buy up a few figures like Yarna, Ewok 2 pack, Bane Malor, Rex.  That will be it for awhile.  I would love to get the V-19 and entire waves of figures for the B-A-D stuff but at $8 apiece that will have to be forgone. 

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 10:01 AM »
I am out on the Animated figures for the most part, Like DA I resisted after coming across them several times. For me some may be unavoidable if the accessories warrants something worthwhile that I can use in the mainline, it will be few and far between I am sure. Things like the upcoming animated Stap Battle battle pack I will buy purely for the STAPs (I like the deco and plan on buying the new Trade Tank). The animated figures that I get with them will be traded, sold or chopped up for parts. The occasional single figure like Plo Koon I will pick up solely for all of the new Sabers he comes with. I will support new vehicles if they stay movie realistic looking

Let's see how well received these are in the long run, I think Hasbro/Curto may be jumping the gun too early. For $8 a pop there is not much to them, not even stands. At least the Legacy basic has an extra droid part.

I just do not want this crap hogging superb SKU's from the mainline.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2008, 07:16 PM »
I am too, though I'm also leaning towards a PKoon figure for the saber gear.

If I thought I could use the parts for customizing and had the cash handy, maybe...  I really love the animation and style too, so don't get me wrong I think they look great, but it's just that this is a whole new line and I'm putting my foot down now.  No "new" lines of toys.  I'm done.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2008, 09:00 PM »
I'm out on the CW figs, mainly due to space reasons.  Plus they don't go with my other dudes.  However, there are a select few I will be getting, such as Plo Koon (everybody's favorite it seems!) and Cody.  Actually, I may get Fox, who I like a lot. 

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2008, 02:55 AM »
After seeing these tonight, I might change my mind. I'm going to finish up the Legacy stuff first, but after seeing Padme and Plo Koon, I might be in for a few of these. I'll skip Dooku and Asajj, since I don't like the way they look.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2008, 07:38 AM »
I broke down and picked up a CW-08 R2-D2, in addition to my holo Grievous, which I'm keeping carded.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2008, 09:12 AM »
Ugh!  They look so cool.  Padme is fantastic.  Sigh.  Must resist.  I keep trying to get out, and they keep pulling me back in!