Author Topic: Who Is Not Buying?  (Read 29956 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Who Is Not Buying?
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2009, 09:25 AM »
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but it seems to fit here pretty well.  According to this news, Star Wars was the top toy license for 2008 - and also had the strongest holiday sales in over 30 years of SW toys.  It sounds like Clone Wars is really bringing in sales from someone, whether its the kiddos/parents, the collectors, or both.  Its great to hear that Star Wars is doing so well.  Not to be Debbie Downer on this, but I hope that the apparent "runaway success" of the animated stuff doesn't lead to fewer and fewer "movie style" figures.  I don't mean to bring up that debate again, and I've been one of the few that's been buying both, but if I had to choose one I'd definitely go for the realistic style.  Anyways, good to hear that SW is continuing strong.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Jeez, maybe Hasbro was right after all - kids do buy Star Wars figures!

Offline CookieeMonster

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Well I have all of the first 3 waves (actually except for yoda, I didnt like the action feature on him), I have Padme from wave 4 so far and want Kit and Jar Jar from wave 5 for definite, I do want the rest from wave 4 & 5 but I can pick these up when I want they arent imidiate must haves.

As for which one I would choose it would be OT Realistic, followed closely by CW animated, followed by EU - I dont want many PT realistic characters mainly Cantina or Alien figures that I can put in the background in either Jabbas Palace or the Cantina, or Cloud City.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2009, 12:12 PM »
I am still not buying them. I did pick up the IG & Magna droids because they looked "real" enough, I will continue the once in a bluemoon purchase if they really appeal to me that way. (I have to get Jar-Jar as I really liked him in that episode!)
I actually have been able to resist and happy I did. I broke my golden rule this past year by collecting other lines: MOTU classics and CLASSIc 80's Joe 25th that's enough.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2009, 11:58 PM »
Same as before for me.  I like some of them and will buy a few here and there.  I will never buy full waves though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Just bumping this up in light of various Hasbro Q and A answers this week basically telling us that Clone Wars is carrying the line at this point.  They didn't say that word for word, but there was discussion of the Legacy/Evolutions/etc. sales lagging this year, while CW (as well as starfighter vehicle assortment and battle packs) remaining quite strong.

I've been one who has been buying both lines for the most part.  I have the majority of the CW figures so far, but have planned on being much more selective from here on out.  If these recent answers are any indication of even more of a shift to a CW focus in the basic lines, part of me thinks it might be a good time to cut back even more.  Not that I'm not interested in the figures.  I really like the show, and the toys so far have been pretty fun as well, but it might just be a good opportunity to make that shift.  I'm a stupid collector in the way that I watch the show/movie, and I get more pumped to "have the stuff" - which leads to buying more things like CW animated figures.  I could just enjoy the show without buying everything, and probably save myself a lot of money.  There are still upcoming figures that I plan to get - Kit Fisto, the Jawas, Cad Bane and a few others - but I'm wondering if I shouldn't stop with the animated stuff at this point or not.  My wife once made the point to me that this stuff is for the kids now, like the vintage stuff was for my age group when we were kids (sort of making the point to stick to the "collector-targeted" stuff) - and I can kind of see that too.

Once again, it might just be all talk right now - and its a different story when you see them swinging from the pegs - but I've just been giving thought to the fact that it might be a good opportunity to make that cutback.  We'll see I guess.  How many of you are buying the animated stuff now - and if so, is it just a figure here or there, or the majority of them?

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2009, 11:50 AM »
I'm buying it, and a lot more of it than I thought I would back in July. However, it's still only a few figures here and there; I don't think I've ever completed a wave. I'm buying all the Jedi (looking forward to Kit Fisto and Mace Windu!) and have gotten a few of each clone. I'm also getting most CIS-related stuff. I'm NOT buying things like Jar Jar, Padme, Threepio, Artoo (although getting Threepio/Artoo has been tempting), and the spacesuit figures. Basically, I'm just being really picky. But I gotta say, this line is really growing on me.

I was a little bothered to hear about the impact the "collectors' economic situation" will have on the Legacy line and that waves are already being canceled. Not good. :-\
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2009, 12:19 PM »
I'm NOT buying things like Jar Jar, Padme, Threepio, Artoo (although getting Threepio/Artoo has been tempting), and the spacesuit figures.

For some reason, some of those figures are the ones that grabbed me the most.  Something about having characters from the OT in this animated style (R2/3PO/Yoda so far) - I guess it shows how much I'd enjoy an OT-based animated series.  I'll be grabbing the Jabba BP and upcoming Jawa figures as well for just that reason.  I've also been partial to the Jedi so far, as you mentioned too.  I have managed to stick to my "no army building" rule for this line, and have only grabbed one of each basic figure so far.  If I'll even continue that much going forward is the question though.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2009, 04:03 PM »
They just said in a Q&A that they have no plans for any more astrodroids in the CW line.  This is one of the stupidest things I have heard, with the frequecy and prominence of the droids in a number of episodes (Ahsoka's R7-A7, Kit Fisto's R6-H5, the shadow squadron droids and that Skate Park promo R5), especially in relationship to the Jedi Fighters and Y-Wing they have coming out!  What, kids are supposed to put Goldie in all of their ships?  These droids are almost entirely straight repaints, so would be a super cheap way to flesh out a wave, and their colorfulness would surely stand out on the pegs. 

Personally, I'd like to see the Droid Factory concept go Clone Wars.  Kids love collecting things, and I think they could really go for assembling those different astromechs or battledroids.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2009, 11:07 PM »
I love this line, and have from the start.  I hope that as it goes forward, they treat it like the movies, and include more background characters.  I like that fact that it's "just for kids" (which is nonsense considering how violent the show is) because I don't like collecting "collector items."  I like collecting toys.

I really enjoy the show, and can see it just getting better. 
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2009, 11:49 AM »
Personally, I'd like to see the Droid Factory concept go Clone Wars.  Kids love collecting things, and I think they could really go for assembling those different astromechs or battledroids.

You know - that's a great idea - it would certainly JUSTIFY the fact that a Legacy Collection figure with a B-A-D part costs just as much as a Clone Wars Animated figure with nothing.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2009, 02:27 PM »
Loving the show, just not that into the figures.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2009, 06:42 PM »
My original plan for this line was just to buy new characters. But I love the line so I buy it all. And the best figs are the animated versions of characters I already have a "regular" version of.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2009, 07:47 PM »
I saw significantly greater numbers of Clone Wars figures at retail today.  TRU in particular seems to be ordering more CW figures, with TLC and SL figures in lower supply.

This seems to follow suit with what we've heard recently.  CW is outselling TLC.  But I have to wonder this:  will Clone Wars see the repeat business from kids/parents as we have seen in the past from collectors?  Will that customer base be buying multiple clones or other troop builders?  Will parents differentiate between the different clones or droids?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2009, 11:12 AM »
I was just looking back at the first couple pages of this thread, and I'm wondering did most of us stick to our original "not buying" plan?  I started off buying one of each basic figure, no army building, but have since started to slow down.  I'm still not entirely sure what I'll do going forward.  I know I'll probably pick up "OT-ish" characters like the upcoming Jawas and new Yoda, but beyond that I'm not sure.  I've said it before, I really enjoy the show, but I'm wondering if this isn't a place to make a cutback.  My wife once said to me that stuff like this (Clone Wars) is for today's kids like the Original Trilogy stuff was for my/our generation.  There might be some truth to that from my point of view, and it would likely save a lot of money.  Especially since it seems like there will be even more focus here in the future from Hasbro from the sounds of things.