Author Topic: The Apple iPhone Thread  (Read 31766 times)

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 09:42 PM »
I was able to score one last Thursday and absolutely love it.  While I have never played with the Instinct or Voyager, I am amazed at how easy this thing is to use and how much I use it.  The MLB at Bat program available for it is a baseball lovers dream.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 09:10 AM »
I was visiting with family over the weekend and my cousin had the new iPhone so I spent a lot of time playing with it.  There are a lot of really fun apps out there.  The MLB one is really cool.  He also had one that let you record 10-15 seconds of a song (through the radio or by singing it) and the iPhone would ID the song and artist and let you tag it for future downloading from iTunes.  Very cool.

I've got an iPod touch but I haven't updated my software to the new version yet.  Without the wireless internet (3G style) and the Mic portion of the phone a lot of the apps aren't as useful or as much fun anyway.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Ok, need help from the folks who are more "tech" than myself (so anyone on the site)...

My Firm is going to switch to AT&T and my wife would like to trade her Blackberry for an iPhone, that's fine... but having never had any interest in one, I figured I would get another  BB... anybody have a reason one way or another why I would switch or not?

And is it worth it to get the biggest (32GB) one?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 09:22 AM »
I can't speak to the merits of Blackberry vs. iPhone (but I love the iPhone), but unless you plan on keeping music or video on your phone, I say don't bother with the ones with the larger capacity.  Mine's the 8 GB and I've had it for a year and a half and there's tons of room on it still.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 10:25 AM »
I have a blackberry and my wife has an iPhone.  I'd trade my BB in for an iPhone in a second if my company supported it.  I find the blackberry very clunky and although there are apps out there for it, its nothing like the support you can get for the iPhone.  Everytime I pick up my wife's iPhone I just love the way it looks and works. 

Depending on how much email or texting you do, you may not like the touchscreen keyboard on the iPhone - it does seem to take some getting used too.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 12:30 PM »
All I can say is I love my iPhone.  I've had it for about 8 months now.  I didn't want to get it initially because of the cost, but when they started dropping the price to $100  (3G version) with a contract renewal, I was all over it.  I didn't think I'd want to use all the stuff on it, but I use most of them, plus I've downloaded a ton of cool apps that keep me occupied when I get bored.  I like the text keyboard feature as I text a lot and have gotten pretty quick at it, compared to using the old school number system that was on my Sync.

My school district uses primarily Apple computers and so I'm pretty familiar with most of it and think Apple is better than PCs are.  We've gone through 4 PC/laptops in 7 years my wife and I have been married.  We've used two Apple laptops, one was a school district issued one, and the other was a personal one.  We are massive Apple fans...and we are very, very far from tech savvy. 
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 12:55 PM »
Blackberry is better for business and work (E-mail, Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, etc). I believe the iPhone is better suited for personal use and leisure activities (such as apps) and music, etc.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 01:39 PM »
Blackberry is better for business and work (E-mail, Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, etc). I believe the iPhone is better suited for personal use and leisure activities (such as apps) and music, etc.

This is pretty true according to people who I know that use the BB...but I can't comment on that part from personal experience.  The calendar for iPhone sucks, and you have to scroll through a bunch of stuff when using the contacts list.  I don't email from my phone much, because it's just kind of hard to do with a small screen and the keyboard feature.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 02:31 AM »
Two things...just a few short months after getting my first iPod, I just renewed my cellular plan and upgraded to an iPhone 3GS.  So far i like it....have some nits to pick, but mostly very pleased.  As far as calendaring, email, and contacts I don't see any major functionality lost from my old Blackberry, although the lack of a "mark all read" option in email is stupid, but I'm synced over the air to my exchange server at work so my read/unread info stays in better sync than it ever did with my Blackberry.  Otherwise there's some quirks, but it sure is fun to use.

Other reason for the post....iPhone 4 leaked.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:32 AM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 02:47 AM »
Looks like Apple is still trying to play catch up with the Android phones. Still no back button.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:48 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 01:47 PM »
Sorry to bump such an old thread. I figured it was better than creating a new one.

Anyone here have the iPhone 4s? This is only my second iPhone and I had a question.

I backed up my iPhone 4 to iTunes. I purchased the new iPhone 4S and synched it to my last backup. Did I just essentially just turn my 4S into a 4? I noticed the overall layout and look of the 4S was slightly different than my 4. It had more default apps and things of that nature. After I synched to my last back up, my 4S looks exactly like my 4 did.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 05:08 PM »
You can manage all of your apps on an iPhone, iPad or iPod in iTunes.  It's simply a matter of formatting how you want your apps laid out in iTunes while you're syncing the device. 

What probably happened here is that you had the layout for your iPhone 4 in iTunes, and that app layout has carried over to your new phone since both devices probably have the same name.  However, the iPhone 4S has hardware & software configs that will make it different from your iPhone 4. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Apple has shown off the new iPhone 5! It's longer with a new 4" screen and faster A6 processor. iOS 6 will also come out September 21st. Also the iPods get updated. The iPod Touch is thinner with a 4" screen, The shuffle gets new colors and the Nano gets a bigger display and thinner.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-hands-on-video-details/
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/pod-touch-hands-on-2012-video/
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/ipod-nano-hands-on-2012/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:42 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 06:26 AM »
I'm a little surprised with the all the revamps to the nano that they didn't bump up the storage space.  A 32 GB nano has been rumored for quite a while, but they just have 16 GB models according to the Apple store.  I still only have an 8 GB model and didn't want to upgrade to 16 GB because I would have it filled immediately.  I think I'm going to finally jump on board with the iPhone, so I will probably just get the 64 GB model and use that as my mp3 player.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 11:24 AM »
I'm all over this phone...

I'm a little annoyed by the articles this morning with people complaining about the new connector.  It'd be one thing if they just switched it to switch it, but it's going to be much faster and is reversible - which really should be the standard by now.