Author Topic: The Stargate Thread  (Read 16779 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: The Stargate Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 11:54 PM »
Just curious if anyone picked up the remake of Children of the Gods.  I saw it when I picked up Atlantis Season 5 (I need to watch the last two episodes...they're extended on the dvd) and was curious about it...but not curious enough to spend $20.

First Trailer for Stargate: Universe.

I think it looks pretty good!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:09 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2009, 12:35 AM »
Wow. Same plot as Star Trek: Voyager but without the ship.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2009, 02:57 AM »
I was thinking Lost in Space with a twist.   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2009, 03:12 PM »
So have any of you been watching Stargate: Universe?  I like it so far.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 1, 2009, 12:30 PM »
Eh, it's okay.  It's no SG-1 or Atlantis.  There are a couple charcters I don't like and the ones I do I don't like as much as I did the characters on the other two shows.  I'll keep watching but I'm not sure what it'll take for to really get into it.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 2, 2009, 11:46 AM »
I have been watching the show and I like it. It is different than Sg-1 & Atlantis, and reminds me of Voyager and Lost In Space. I wasn't sure what to expect with Lou Diamond Phillips on the cast list, but his limited involvement is okay.

Scott - The Kirk/Riker of the team. Seams to not be able to keep it in his pants.
Eli - Is okay. Still getting use to him.
Chloe - HOT HOT HOT
Greer - I like this guy a lot. Impulsive and doesn't take crap from anyone. Definately the Teal'c/Ronan of the team.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 2, 2009, 01:53 PM »
I'm really having a tough time getting into this show. I'm not sure what it is. I always seem to have two of these on the dvr while I have no problem getting through Fringe, Flash Forward and Sanctuary.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2009, 04:27 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #67 on: November 2, 2009, 04:13 PM »
I'm still somewhat mixed on Universe myself. I like it, but it still really doesn't feel like Stargate. And I'm not sure whether or not that is good or bad. The last few years (of both Atlantis and SG-1) have mostly felt like recycled shows, with plots we have seen over and over reused. The only thing that really kept me watching was I cared about the characters and wanted to see how the events effected them differently. So far Universe hasn't been much different, other than I don't really care about most of these characters. We'll see if that changes as the season goes on though.

Greer - He probably the most interesting guy in the show so far. He has what seems like a fairly generic and cookie-cutter "I'm pissed off at the world" personality, and yet we keep getting little glimpses of a deeper character, particularly in the episode "Power." There was that great moment where he is apologizing to Young for disappointing him, and there was that little bit where he is talking about being killed by the star. That is the kind of thing I really like about his character.

Eli - Eh, I like him so far. He's no Davit Hewlett/Rodney McKay but he is kind of amusing.

Chloe - Hot, but she is kind of annoying and I don't really care for her character.

Scott - He is probably one of my least favorite characters on the show. I don't know if it is the character or the actor himself, but I don't really care what happens to him.

Young - He has started to grow on me a bit, especially because of the dynamic he has with Rush.

Rush - Another of my favorite characters. I like Robert Carlisle a lot and he is great for the role. I'm interested to see how he lost his wife and why he was so motivated to find the Destiny. It should be interesting to to see if he is as selfish/scheming as Young would believe him to be, or if he really does care about everyone and just has his own goals on the side.

Tamara - I like her so far too. Although one this I thought was funny that my mom pointed out to me, they are supposedly stuck on a spaceship, with very little water, very few of these people have showered, and it has been a few weeks now, and she always has her hair done up all fancy like. She wouldn't have time to do that, and without showering there is no way she could keep it looking nice. I wouldn't have noticed or cared if my mom hadn't have pointed it out, because Tamara is hot. Now it's pretty obvious that the only reason they do that is to draw in male viewers.

Some other thoughts I have so far. I'm not digging the a lot of the Pop music they have as a soundtrack so far. It's out of place and it really feels like they are trying to make it more like something you'd see on Heroes or some crap like that. I've also noticed (and this goes for Atlantis too) that the 'realism' is starting to fade more and more. Obviously this is Sci-Fi and has always been Sci-Fi, but what really drew me in to SG-1 was the way it was grounded in reality. It seemed like there could actually be a Stargate somewhere under Cheyenne Mountain. And after some blunders in the first season or two, they worked a lot closer with military advisors to make the military look more like the real thing. I think Universe has really stepped away from a lot of that. If I start to care about the characters enough I can over look that, but at this point it bothers me.
"This is the way."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 2, 2009, 04:33 PM »
I think right now, it's too dark and humorless like BSG. Stargate has a geeky-type humor to it that made it fun. This one doesn't have it as much. Maybe when they get the ship running, it will improve.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 2, 2009, 05:01 PM »
I agree with you on Greer.  I think he's going to be an interesting character as the show goes forward. 

Eli is us.  He's the viewer's voice in the show, not really sure what's going on but smart enough to kind of get it when it's explained to him.  I think I'll like him fine, but no, he's no Rodney.  But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Chloe is hot, but she's about as useless as any of the characters.  Other than being hot what does she offer to the ship? 

I'm with Ryan on Scott; I don't really like him but I think it's the actor more than the character. 

I also don't like Rush, but I don't think we're supposed to yet.  Carlisle is good, it's just the character that he's playing, and I'm fine with that.

Yes, Tamara is hot...I'm a big fan of Alaina Huffman from Smallville and Painkiller Jane.

Also hot, Lt. James.  Julia's Benson's are two reasons to watch this show.

I haven't figured out yet why exactly Ming-Na is on this show, or Lou Diamond Phillips.  Ming-Na is a pretty decent actress and it's hard to believe that she had to escape to Vancouver to get work...so she must want to be on the show, so why not a bigger part?  I haven't even figured out what her character is supposed to be?  Scientist? Politician?  Civilian admin of some type?  I don't get it.

Greer, Eli and, to a certain extent, Young, are my favorites on the show. 

On the shower thing, didn't Chloe get a shower in an episode?  Maybe they suspended use of it when the water situation got bad.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 3, 2009, 09:12 AM »
I finally saw the pilot for SGU after a few failed attempts on Hulu. I really liked it. I'll check out some more if I get the time.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 3, 2009, 09:17 AM »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 7, 2009, 10:54 AM »
I'm up to the fifth episode. I gotta say, I'm hooked.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 7, 2009, 10:04 PM »
I actually liked Friday's show a little better than a couple of the previous shows.  Mostly because it was good drama and not some catastophe of the week type thing.  There's going to be some **** going down between Young and Telford now.

E...

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 9, 2009, 05:32 PM »
I actually liked Friday's show a little better than a couple of the previous shows.  Mostly because it was good drama and not some catastophe of the week type thing.  There's going to be some **** going down between Young and Telford now.

E...

Best quote of the show so far...

"Does the computer hack college drop out have to save our asses, or are you going to remove your head from yours?""
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!