Author Topic: How to tell the difference between a vintage and repro. weapon  (Read 110766 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell the difference between a vintage and repro. weapon
« Reply #75 on: January 3, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Ok, I read through this entire thread last night and could not find the help I needed.

I recently purchased a vintage blue Obi-Wan Kenobi lightsaber off eBay since the tip had broken off my original one. Seller had all positive feedback and clearly stated it was from the original 70's figure.

I got it yesterday and it just doesn't look quite right to me. The color seems a little too crisp for one thing. My original is a lot more faded. The new one also does not have any letters on the hilt either, which bothers me more I think. (My original has an "I" on the hilt)

I have tried the water test and it floats, but apparently so does the revalve-it stuff, so that didn't help much. I also tried bending it and it seems flexible enough. I don't want to mar the piece up, so I am reluctant to scratch it to see if any paint comes off.

Are there any other tests I can try to assess legitimacy?

Does the lack of any lettering on the hilt necessarily mean it is a repro?

Are there any good resources online to help me compare? (I tried imperial gunnery and that jawa site from ealier in this thread, and the RS photo archives, but I can't find any details about hilt letters)

I will try to post a picture if I am able later...thanks in advance!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #76 on: January 3, 2014, 11:25 AM »
I haven't had to do this for a while but I used a simple sound test for a lot of weapons.  Drop a known original and the supposed repro on a hard surface (like a table or countertop)

The sound the two make were usually completely different since they were typically different plastics.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 3, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Imperial Gunnery Identification Guide

I always use IG.  If you can't tell from this whether it is authentic or repro, then you have to ask yourself if it really matters.   ;)

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 4, 2014, 10:20 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. The Youtube video was interesting but the "shake test" does not work so great for sabers I take it. I went back and pored over the IG pics and it looks like I've got the "Flat Tip Transition - Thin Tip" version and I have yet to see any record of repros with the similar thin tip, so this is probably legit, I'm thinking. I was able to confirm it is cast in blue plastic too and not painted in any way. Apparently some just have letters and some don't.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy