Author Topic: How to tell the difference between a vintage and repro. weapon  (Read 110776 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell the difference between a vintage and repro. weapon
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2004, 12:03 PM »
(knowing he'll probably forget again).  

Happens with age!  :-\

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2004, 12:50 PM »
Happens with age!  :-\

Dale,

you say that as though your speak from experience ;D

I have some good collecting news to share.

I received my Luke Combat Ponch belt and authentic gun in the mail so he is now complete.

My AT-ST Driver had an authentic black gun so now my A-Wing Pilot is complete.  

I just traded for 2 authentic Leia Poncho / AT-ST Driver Guns so now those two figures are complete.    

All I need now is one B-Wing Pilot Gun and a Lando General Gun and Cape to equip all of my figures.  I'll probably have better luck just getting a complete Lando.  Warok is on the way...so all I need now is a Gunner and R2-Pop Up.

-Fish-

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2004, 01:03 PM »
Man, you 2 are just going crazy with your collections!  ;D

Yeah, it might be better getting a complete Lando General, the cape & gun is hard to get by themselves.  :-\

Keep it up guy's almost there.  8)

Now what was I doing, oh yeah, I forgot!  ;)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2004, 10:35 PM »
Just to add to the confusion, I have a sealed Trilogo AT-ST driver.  

Blue Gun.  

to add to the confusion a little more, i also have a carded at-st driver tri logo - black gun. or at least it looks pretty black to me  ;D

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 8, 2005, 11:11 AM »
I looked for almost a year for a Lando General cape to complete a figure I had... Eventually I just gave up and bought a complee one, and then sold my incomplete one to re-coup some of the difference.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 8, 2005, 06:28 PM »
LOL ;D!  Can you believe that is the last piece accessory I need for a complete 100. 

DBK

I looked for almost a year for a Lando General cape to complete a figure I had... Eventually I just gave up and bought a complee one, and then sold my incomplete one to re-coup some of the difference.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 9, 2005, 01:25 AM »
Happens at times, your missing one accessory and searching forever. You keep your hopes up and hopefuly you luck in but at times it maybe best just to break down and buy a completed one.

I know Brent needs that blasted dark cane for his Yoda.  :-\

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 9, 2005, 10:09 AM »
Mr. 10K DSJ.

DBK

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 9, 2005, 11:17 PM »
Happens at times, your missing one accessory and searching forever. You keep your hopes up and hopefuly you luck in but at times it maybe best just to break down and buy a completed one.

I know Brent needs that blasted dark cane for his Yoda.  :-\

Yes I am and I dragged my ass all the way into the hype for the new movie ::)  Now Yoda's regularly going over $30.  Bah, all things in time.

It's not the only thing I'm missing either.  I've been deconstructing the collection to put away for an eventual move and I've been making up my vintage list with condition and accessories.  Still a few pieces missing.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2005, 11:16 PM »
Speaking of dark weapons. I played around with the repro sabers I have. I scraped some of the paint on one side & man it looks like crap!

So I wonder how many more repro weapons I can scrap!  ;)

Cool pic Dale.  So I've got a tough question.  Are there any obvious ways to tell a fake lightsaber from a picture (ie. eBay)?  Ideally, I'd get the seller to send me a close-up photo of the saber - is there anything I could look for that would be a giveaway that it was fake?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2005, 11:26 PM »
I would say no Jesse, it's really hard to tell just by a picture even if the seller did send better pic's. Who is to say that the pic's he they send are the weapons you are getting. They could show you real ones but send you the fake item.  :-\

Best that I can offer thus far is this link posted a page back:

Behold!  :-*

Armory Of The Jawas Repro Photo Guide

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2005, 11:41 PM »
Who is to say that the pic's he they send are the weapons you are getting. They could show you real ones but send you the fake item.  :-\

Good point.   :-\

Best that I can offer thus far is this link posted a page back:

Behold!  :-*

Armory Of The Jawas Repro Photo Guide

Some great reading there - thanks!

Offline attahunter

• Youngling
  • I'm a cold-blooded bounty hunter. : )
    • View Profile
    • attahunter.csillagokhaboruja.com
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2006, 04:49 AM »
Well, not an easy job, because there are versions even AMONG those original vintage weapons. For example the rebel commando's gun is available in two different colors - light cappuccino and light sand grey - or the vibro weapon for the Weequay and Lando skiff guards is also in two versions. One was used for Lando in ROTJ carded figures AND for the Trilogo Klaatu, I know this clearly because I have them carded as well! In the case of this weapon NOT ONLY the color, but also the sculpting and molding IS DIFFERENT. It is kind of risky, because the second (Trilogo) version is darker grey, shinier and a bit thinner, SO it looks like a repro at first sight! But it is NOT. I also have one REPRO version of this weapon: it is really not easy to tell the difference between the trilogo and this, but the "REAL" repro is even shinier, gleamier and a bit darker, than the Trilogo release. The BEST way of identification is to look at the little stripes at the bottom of the weapon's rod. There is a part of the rod, which is thicker than the rest of it. There are two narrow stripes on it. NOW, in the case of the Trilogo weapon they are close to each other in the MIDDLE of this thick part. While on a repro the two narrow stripes divide the thick part into three, more or less EQUAL parts.

This is one piece of advice for you. Otherwise the 'ping' test is really good, it works usually, because the sound of the original and repro weapon is always different, and the repro makes a louder, PING! sound if you drop it on the table, while the original makes a softer sound. ALSO, the repros are ALMOST ALWAYS significantly GLEAMIER (more gleaming), THINNER and HARDER  - less flexible - than the originals. ALSO, the details are more precise on the repro weapons.

I hope I could help you.  ;) Any questions? : ) Don't hesitate.   ;D
BYE. I HOPE YOU WON'T FAIL ME AGAIN.

Offline Mackson

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2006, 03:21 AM »
Hello everyone.  I am new here so bare with me.  I have a DT Vader and DT Kenobi however, they are both missing the inner portion of the saber.  Does anyone know how I can get one for each of them?  Also how can I tell if the pieces are authentic?

Mack

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #59 on: March 7, 2007, 06:55 AM »
As some of you know i still need a vinyl cape Jawa, this is a price i can deal with. Any one have any opinions on this one, help is appreciated.

Jawa
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"