Author Topic: How to tell the difference between a vintage and repro. weapon  (Read 26203 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell the difference between a vintage and repro. weapon
« Reply #75 on: January 3, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Ok, I read through this entire thread last night and could not find the help I needed.

I recently purchased a vintage blue Obi-Wan Kenobi lightsaber off eBay since the tip had broken off my original one. Seller had all positive feedback and clearly stated it was from the original 70's figure.

I got it yesterday and it just doesn't look quite right to me. The color seems a little too crisp for one thing. My original is a lot more faded. The new one also does not have any letters on the hilt either, which bothers me more I think. (My original has an "I" on the hilt)

I have tried the water test and it floats, but apparently so does the revalve-it stuff, so that didn't help much. I also tried bending it and it seems flexible enough. I don't want to mar the piece up, so I am reluctant to scratch it to see if any paint comes off.

Are there any other tests I can try to assess legitimacy?

Does the lack of any lettering on the hilt necessarily mean it is a repro?

Are there any good resources online to help me compare? (I tried imperial gunnery and that jawa site from ealier in this thread, and the RS photo archives, but I can't find any details about hilt letters)

I will try to post a picture if I am able later...thanks in advance!
"Those fighting to be included in the ideal of equality are not being divisive; those fighting to keep those people out are."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #76 on: January 3, 2014, 11:25 AM »
I haven't had to do this for a while but I used a simple sound test for a lot of weapons.  Drop a known original and the supposed repro on a hard surface (like a table or countertop)

The sound the two make were usually completely different since they were typically different plastics.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 3, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Imperial Gunnery Identification Guide

I always use IG.  If you can't tell from this whether it is authentic or repro, then you have to ask yourself if it really matters.   ;)

"After Tuesday even the calendar goes W T F. "

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 4, 2014, 10:20 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. The Youtube video was interesting but the "shake test" does not work so great for sabers I take it. I went back and pored over the IG pics and it looks like I've got the "Flat Tip Transition - Thin Tip" version and I have yet to see any record of repros with the similar thin tip, so this is probably legit, I'm thinking. I was able to confirm it is cast in blue plastic too and not painted in any way. Apparently some just have letters and some don't.
"Those fighting to be included in the ideal of equality are not being divisive; those fighting to keep those people out are."