Author Topic: Golf  (Read 38853 times)

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Golf
« on: June 26, 2003, 10:58 AM »
I love to golf, I really do, problem is where I live most of the courses suck!  I was just down in AZ and played some relaly nice courses there managed to shoot under a 100 at one.  ANyone else here golf?  
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 10:59 AM »
I'm in the process of learning.  In fact, I was at the driving range yesterday.  And boy, do I need to take a lesson!  That, plus the irons I'm using are just a little short for me.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 11:01 AM »
Oh, I need lessons as well. Everything gets sliced...I am not too shabby with the putter though.  IF I could learn how to chip I would be in business
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 11:07 AM »
I came close to nailing the range attendant more than a few times.  And he was about 20 yards over to my right :(  I did smakc a few nice 150+ yard drives.  Not bad since I haven't picked up a club in almost a year.

Feedback

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 12:11 PM »
I started putting a set of clubs together through the goodwill $1.50 bin!  I've been out on the course 2 times now.  The first time I shot a 134 on a par 72!  The last time(with my brother) we didn't keep score.  I did sink a 25 ft uphill putt from just off the green, and later hit the pin from 40ft out with a wedge.  Those were my only 2 redeeming shots of the day...  I have to turn about 30 degrees to the left of the fairway when teeing off, that's the only way I can get it close to staying on, otherwise I'm WAY off in the bushes to the right of the fairway.

I love this game!  It's a blast just to get out there and walk around and bs with your friends.  Especially if you don't keep score or care who wins. ;D
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 12:11 PM »
I love to golf, not very good at it but I do love it.  I went last week and shot a 92, which means I am improving little by little.  I have pretty much cured my slice problem.  Duffing it off the tee box has been a slight problem for me.

I've wanted to invest in a Callaway Bertha for a while now but can't justify the chinge on it to the Mrs.  Especially since I only play 7-8 times per year

Putting for me is also my strong suit, must be from my days at the neighborhood Mini Golf Course :)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 12:20 PM »
I used to golf a little bit when I was in my high school days, and I had actually taken lessons back then.  However, I haven't golfed in more than 10 years I bet.  I wouldn't mind trying to golf again, but there aren't any affordable golf courses in my area to practice on.  Everything out here in the Chicagoland area are very expensive.  Plus I would want to take up lessons before going out on the course.
dustrho

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 12:24 PM »
I'm a 3-4 putter usually.  I think my putter came from one of the mini-golf courses :-\  The only club I've paid more than $2.00 for is my wedge, I bought it for $10 at Garts Sports on sale.  This is of course my learner set, I'll eventually get a nice set....eventually.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 12:40 PM »
I inherited my clubs from my brother-in-law.  He gave me his King Cobra driver, and I even managed to get than "ping!" out of it.  I still have a slice going, so I'm gonna invest in a couple of lessons.  

If I start getting better, I might try buying a used set.  My brother in law got himself a pretty good set of year old, barely used Titleist's for about $300, so if I start investing more in some clubs, I'll do that.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 12:47 PM »
One thing I found I was doing was swinging way, way to hard.  You really don't need to try and kill it to get a nice 250 yard drive...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 12:50 PM »
I've been trying to relax in my swing.  Thing I'm doing wrong is  gripping the club too hard.  My right hand is killing me today!

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2003, 03:11 PM »
Love to golf?  Yes.  Real good? No.  I can't hit my driver to safe my life but I have a nice 3 iron tee shot, about 240 yard if I hit it right.  I agree with Scott.  When I first started, I tried to kill the ball.  After playing more rounds and getting advice from way better golfers than I, I learned to relax and swing more smoothly and the improvement has shown.

And the best part about golf?  Drinking.  I'm good for at least a six pack on an 18 hole course.  :-*
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2003, 03:16 PM »
A 6 pack!  Holy Hanna!  One nice thing about the Twin Cities is that they really overbuilt golf courses in the past few years.  That makes Greens Fees pretty reasonable golf and some pretty nice courses

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2003, 03:17 PM »
It's really not that bad when it takes 5+ hours to play 18 holes.  Plus I hold my liquor well. :-*
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2003, 03:25 PM »
I'm moving to an area where golf course green fees are going to be anywhere from $16-$50 for 18 holes.  I'll most likely stick to the $16 crap holes!

A 6 pack isn't much for that length of time, of course I'm a lightweight and would be falling over at 3, so what do I know ;)

A friend of mine has one of those nifty beer totes that looks like a club up top.  It's usually empty by the 8th hole though.