Author Topic: Clone Wars Movie Reviews - SPOILER Thread  (Read 30458 times)

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars Movie Reviews - SPOILER Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 03:16 PM »
While i like the action and battle scenes for the style and look of it. there isn't much of a feeling of danger. I've been rewatching the cartoon network volume 1 this morning and this current series could of used a few touches of the first clonewars animation. One is the dialogue is minimal and works very well. second they do have a feeling of danger with durge and ventress and both characters push obi and anakin to a point of defeat before being defeated themselfs. The movie could of used another darkside disciple that could of been killed. i know in the comics dooku had ventress, skorr, vos for awhile, and sora bulq.

Sadly that sense of danger will never strike us though because we all know how the story ends ::) However for ashoka that sense of danger can still be there as with Rex(did he just replace alpha arc?). The movie IMO was great, from beginning to end I was entertained and heck I want more. What we need now is more new jedi characters so that sense of danger and suspense as you were tlaking about can still be there. cause as it is right now the only danger that can happen to sky guy is getting his robo claw cut off every now and then.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 03:59 PM »
Does anyone know if this "movie" will be shown on tv as the first episode of the series? If so, I'll watch it then or at least rent it on netflix.

Because of the industry I'm in, one thing I can't stand is poor CG work. This movie looks like about the same quality as a Barbie DVD. The handdrawn version looked much better than this.  I can't see spending $8+ to see it in the theaters when there is far superior CG work out there to support such as Wall*E and Kung-Fu Panda. I just wouldn't enjoy it.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 04:06 PM »

As soon as I heard Ebert gave it a low rating, I figured it should be pretty good.  ;)

Right because Robert Ebert doesn't like Star Wars movies. He is actually very supportive of them. Looking up his reviews at www.rogerebert.com:

Star Wars got 4 stars
Empire Strikes Back got 4 stars
Return of the Jedi got 4 stars
Phantom Menace got 3 1/2 stars
Attack of the Clones got 2 stars
Revenge of the Sith got 3 1/2 stars
The Clone Wars got 1 1/2 stars

I guess that means you don't like Star Wars movies because obvisely Roger Ebert does.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 05:06 PM »
I want my money back.  This thing should have never made it to theatres.  The only part I enjoyed was watching the AT-TE climb vertically which is pretty sad.   :-\

I actually felt like walking out of the theatre a few times because it got boring at points and it felt like watching a Saturday morning cartoon - which is what it should have been to begin with.  Too bad the Sail Barge didn't get more screen time, but I'm sure it'll be back in future episodes.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 06:52 PM »

Sadly that sense of danger will never strike us though because we all know how the story ends ::) However for ashoka that sense of danger can still be there as with Rex(did he just replace alpha arc?). The movie IMO was great, from beginning to end I was entertained and heck I want more. What we need now is more new jedi characters so that sense of danger and suspense as you were tlaking about can still be there. cause as it is right now the only danger that can happen to sky guy is getting his robo claw cut off every now and then.

Yep exactly we need more new villians and jedi so we can worry about them and wonder if they make it or not. Yeah rex could be alpha, maybe they could come up with a story to explain how he went from alpha to rex. maybe in the comic series. :)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Stinky was a well done character in his own right, and seeing his reunion with Jabba was very cute.

This movie made me feel very sorry for the way Jabba went out in RotJ, because you're actually rooting for him in this movie. :'(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 11:09 PM »
I thought people might pick up on the "big screen, little screen" issues.  This was a film that clearly wasn't made to be a film originally, and instead was meant for TV.  I got that feeling too but it didn't really jar me on liking it.  I liked it a lot.

The only real issue I had was some of the dialogue...  I really liked this overall and I'm shocked how many hated it.

The CG in this isn't CGI...  The animation is to have a puppet-like look to it, so it's dumbed down a bit I think.  I didn't go into this looking for a Pixar film, and if you did I think you went into it already expecting way too much.

I mean, half of Jabba's goons were identical...  Really it wasn't a good idea to go into this hoping you got Toy Story quality.  Just wasn't going to happen because that's not what they were going for and we really knew that going into it.

I felt the action was outstanding...  They included all the goodies a SW film needs with the warrin', the space battles, the escapes, lightsaber fights, ground combat on a massive scale, etc.  They threw in great characters we know and I'm hopeful we'll see Durge & Co. from the established EU then throughout the series.

Really I'm shocked this many fans were upset.  To me this was a great break from the other films.  I thought there was a distinct "adult" content effort too with the Clone getting his bucket shot off, the one shot through the gut, some pushing of language (nothing worse than the OT or PT, but still it was nice to hear), and a character that I too felt was very gay.  Call it a Truman Capote reference or whatever, but I too got the gay vibe from Ziro and I really enjoyed him as a character...  He was evil and flamboyant, and just seemed like Jabba's sort of polar opposite.

I'm actually looking forward to watching it again but can't find a good time to go.

Oh, and someone brought up Anakin being owned by a Hutt, and that's great.  I'd forgotten about that, and that really covered Anakin's hatred of them.  I 100% blanked on that, but now I get why he's so xenophobic towards them and lumps them all together.  That's a fantastic point and I dig that even more now.

I thought really this was clearly meant for the small screen first, but as a big screen jaunt out for a day I enjoyed it a lot.

Oh and to Jesse's defense, I think he maybe meant Ebert's reviews as a whole.  He does support SW though, but I usually don't agree with him.  Hell, a 2 star for AOTC but 3.5 for TPM?  Is he on crack?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2008, 08:48 AM »
I saw it yesterday and I thought it was very fun and it'll be perfect for TV. It's definitely geared for the pre-teens but I like those types of cartoons like "Avatar" on Nickelodeon and Ben 10 on Cartoon Network, so I thoroughly enjoyed it as did most of the kids below 10yrs in the audience.

The lightsaber duels and space battles were fantastic, some even look as if they could be inserted in the Prequels and you wouldn't know the difference. Obi-Wan and Dooku I thought made the movie, especially Dooku, he has some great dialogue during the Anakin duel. Yoda was kind of a disappointment as they really butcher his speech affectation in the prequels and that continues here moreso.

The soundtrack was okay, definitely as departure but it worked and I assume we'll be hearing a lot of these new themes in the series.

As for the nicknames and such, they were cringe-inducing at first, but I didn't really notice after a while. And as for Ziro the Gay Hutt. He/she/it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They could have made it Jabba's sister and it might have worked better.

I'll be seeing it a couple more times before it leave theatre - it's fun, popcorn entertainment.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:49 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2008, 12:33 PM »
I have a feeling that Lucasfilm shot themselves in the foot over this one. By releasing it to the theaters, people expect a certain level of quality over regular tv shows. Since Lucasfilm when with simple puppet-like designs, it shows they went cheap. (like Transformers Animated) By getting such negative press about this movie, it will definately taint the show. Lucasfilm should have just released it to tv and released the toys then.

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2008, 05:59 PM »
If you think this show looks "cheap" then I don't think anything would please you.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:12 PM by JediShawn »
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2008, 08:00 PM »
Hell, a 2 star for AOTC but 3.5 for TPM?  Is he on crack?

I guess I am too, as IMO TPM is far superior to AOTC.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2008, 11:05 PM »
Hell, a 2 star for AOTC but 3.5 for TPM?  Is he on crack?

I guess I am too, as IMO TPM is far superior to AOTC.

Same here, as much as a I hated the kid that played Ani I still find it  better then AOTC. I wouldnt say its far superior but it is better by just a little bit :P
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 11:51 PM »
I've been working half-days (12 hour shifts), but did manage to catch this on Friday.  Overall I think i t was good, although I thought Ahsoka was a bit annoying with the nicknames...I also don't think a padawan would be so irreverent to a Jedi Knight and Jedi Masters.

Still...I thought it was pretty good.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2008, 10:27 AM »
If you think this show looks "cheap" then I don't think anything would please you.

Well, I would like Obiwan's hair to actually move in the breeze. CG has been able to do that since Monsters Inc. in 2001. Instead he has helmet-hair. Even Space Chimps had more advanced CG then this.

Sorry, but I don't believe in supporting something that is poorly done just because it has the Star Wars name on it. Lucasfilm should be set to a much higher standard than this. This is a brand that means quality and we have been just served a turd that isn't even a quality turd. Well, on the bright side maybe people will forget Jar Jar. Probably not.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:38 AM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2008, 10:31 AM »
The Clone Wars comes in third with only $15,505,000. Hell, Batman makes more money than that in day. Here is a list of review quotes.

"It's difficult to say whether the dialogue or the characters are more wooden." - Charlotte Observer

"Has it come to this? Has the magical impact of George Lucas' original vision of "Star Wars" been reduced to the level of Saturday morning animation?" - Chicago Sun Times/Roger Ebert

"An enjoyable escapade and a great introduction to the forthcoming series - just not the seventh Star Wars film fans were hoping for." - Empire

"George Lucas is turning into the enemy of fun." - Entertainment Weekly

"In the absence of any extensive innovation, the video game-ready results play more like a feature-length promo for the imminent TV series of the same name than a stand-alone event." - Hollywood Reporter

"Despite some absolutely gorgeous animation and adjusting expectations for what Clone Wars is meant to be, the Force is not strong with this one." - Los Angeles Times

"The Clone Wars is minor to the point of irrelevance, nothing more than a stylized direct-to-DVD shrug projected onto a big screen while Lucas launches two more TV series filling in prequel blanks better left empty." - LA Weekly

"Dear George Lucas: Stop ruining 'Star Wars'!" - New York Daily News

"Expectations were set so low by George Lucas’s lousy trilogy of “Star Wars” prequels that the latest from the Lucasfilm factory comes as something of a surprise: it isn’t the most painful movie of the year!" - New York Times

"... It's more of a problem when a film feels like a videogame, which implies a story that's more fun to play through than watch. Unfortunately, there's no interactive option for Star Wars: The Clone Wars" - The Onion

"The best that can be said about the movie is that it's harmless and mostly charmless." - Philadelphia Inquirer

"The animated "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" movie is out today, and Lucas seems to be more in touch with his inner Ewok than ever. The movie's tone will probably send original-trilogy loyalists over the edge, the final shove that sends their Hoth Ice Planet action play sets into exile on eBay." San Francisco Chronicle

"The movie gets more cluttered and confused as it moves along, though it's dotted with so many generic battle scenes and paint-by-numbers light-saber combat sequences that you can see how it's at least attempting to mimic the illusion of excitement." - Salon

"The story lacks narrative tension. The dialogue is stilted and overblown, a problem also in some of the live-action incarnations. That, combined with visuals that consistently lack punch, leaves little to engage us." - USA Today

"... there's little doubt this stuff will look more at home on the tube than it does on the bigscreen, since one thing is for sure: This isn't the "Star Wars" we've always known and at least sometimes loved." - Variety

"Clone Wars will appeal only to the most tolerant, galactically minded children and their parents." - Wall Street Journal

"Unfolds with all the entertainment value of watching somebody else play a video game." - Washington Post