Author Topic: Clone Wars Movie Reviews - SPOILER Thread  (Read 30443 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Clone Wars Movie Reviews - SPOILER Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2008, 02:08 AM »
In true EU stupidity though, he's Admiral Yularren in the CW and Colonel Yularren in ANH?  Lame...  The guy must've pissed someone off just enough to get demoted but not choked out I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2008, 02:38 AM »
Or their military sturcture is different.  Or maybe he's a relative?

Two more lame excuses I know.  ::)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2008, 03:11 AM »
Actually I was betting on it being the latter (IE: how they'll BS it and make it acceptable), but not the former...  The military structure varying would be uber retarded to me...  I was already telling myself the guy must be a relative, not the same person, though they seemed to aim to make him look the same or similar anyway.  I believe they probably did intend for it to be the same guy, but man they just didn't think through the rank thing it seems.

Shoulda gone with Motti's dad or something.

Hell he's not even in the navy anymore going from Admiral to Colonel.  Maybe he decided to change careers and tackle the hiearchey of the army too? :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2008, 08:59 AM »
This might be a little, ok lot, of a stretch but something happened like that in the US.  During the Civil war a lot of guys were promoted very fast up the ranks, I think Custer was the youngest general ever, age 23, at the end of the war he was a Major General.  When he joined the Army after the war he was a Lt. Colonel.

So maybe they'll explain this away by saying the Army of the Republic was disbanded after the Clone Wars, and Yularren lost his Flag, and then he worked his way back up in the Imperial Army.

Like I said, a stretch.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2008, 09:31 AM »
I believe they probably did intend for it to be the same guy, but man they just didn't think through the rank thing it seems.

He is deinitely supposed to be the same guy...  here's the text/pic from the Official Site's CW Easter Eggs feature:

Don't feel bad if you didn't recognize Admiral Yularen. He's pretty hard to spot, but he's in the original Star Wars, Episode IV. He's sitting on the Death Star, wearing an all-white uniform and has gone gray. The idea is that Yularen has served beside Anakin for decades, first in the Clone Wars, and later during the Empire when Anakin has become Darth Vader. We wonder what secrets he knows...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2008, 02:17 PM »
He must know how he went from Admiral to Colonel. :)  That's a friggin' mystery to me.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2008, 06:40 PM »
There was some point when the EU said Yularen was a Grand Admiral though, wasn't there? And that was why he wore a white outfit? If they go back to that story instead of a Colonel in the ISP, then everything is right with the world again...(including why the figure has white pants instead of the black ISP pants.)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2008, 09:50 PM »
I've never heard/seen that.  Not saying it isn't true, I've just never heard/seen that anywhere in EU.  As far as I know he's still Colonel Yularren in Wookieepedia too which is usually up on those details.  Not sure but did he get credited in the movie?

I think I'm sticking with Yularren in ANH being a relative of Yularren in CW...  The rank thing doesn't jive with the original EU storyline to Yularren, and I hate EU rewrites.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2008, 11:04 PM »
I caught CW3D again today...  Been meaning to take the kid and the woman, but man just can't get time.  Finally got time for a matinee. :)

So, we were in a theater with maybe 20 people, and at least 7 were children not counting mine, but the kids were in front of us going nuts which is always nice to see.

The movie's even better the 2nd time I found...  Caught more of the detail.  The animation is OUTSTANDING when it wants to be too.  I think that argument's just not rooted in reality.  Check out the hardware if you're looking for detail...  The cruisers, the ships, etc. are phenomenal.  My gf even mentioned the characters look like puppets, and that I found interesting since that's the supposed goal.

The kids thought the droids were funny, and really they are amusing.  They're dumb and I like that being played up a lot as it explains why droids can outnumber Clones 50 to 1 and still lose.  It's also really great seeing how SBD's are badasses, and Droideka's are not taken lightly by anyone, especially Jedi.  The spider droids kind of like "dogs" was neat too.

Dooku's character is fantastic in the movie I think.  Dark, sinister...  His appearance being creepy and odd makes more sense with his character getting more background.  I always hated how he went out in ROTS and CW3D is actually making up for that.  He's a mean mofo, or at least gives that impression, in CW.  I hope Grievous is similarly expanded upon, as his ROTS appearances are less than inspiring and he dies like a chump really.

My biggest gripe is clearly shifted now to dialogue between Ahsoka and Anakin.  Beyond their little nicknames though, the rest is funny I think.  Actually her "snips" is ok, but it's her calling him "Sky Guy" and R2 "R2ey" that gets more annoying...  Talking to a mentor like that is odd.  Ani didn't really do that to Obi, and it just seems akward then to me.  It's not a deal breaker, but it is slightly annoying.  Her smart assed remarks to Anakin though fit well, and i felt the two characters work better together than if Ahsoka didn't exist.  I'm not a fan of Anakin getting a Padawan myself, but to me that's not a huge deal and explainable (enough).

The Clones rock though, and they are the stars.  Every combat sequence is made by Clone military talk, action, warrin', whorin', and never borin'.  One of my favorite parts is Ahsoka's "tension" aboard the Gunship.  Even the Clones, pure professionals at their jobs, make her nervous.  She's antsy just watching them get ready for work and that's cool I think.

And if people are really bothered by Ziro the Hutt, to me they weren't going into the cartoon with any kind of open mind at all.  He's Jabba, only eccentric, and I love it.  I think as a movie, it's fun and worth checking out more than once even...  It ain't shakespeare, but kids are loving it as near as I see (and the toys are selling steadily), and parents can enjoy it too for the adult side it does try to give to people.  As a TV show I think it's going to be incredible, especially considering the new trailer out on Cartoon Network.  That's pretty neat and something to look forward again to already.  I'm loving the non-stripped-down Y-Wings.  It 100% just wrote over existing EU, but I love the new look far more.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #99 on: September 1, 2008, 10:40 PM »
I've read a couple of kids books the last couple of days and it seems the plot has changed considerably from what ended up on screen...

Specifically, after Anakin and Ahsoka get Stinky they meet up with Ventress, according to the book they all end up in a Rancor pit and the Rancor steps on Ventress and Anakin, Ahsoka and Stinky escape.  I wonder what happened there?  Or if Rancor will show up later?

Anyway, we saw it again on Saturday and again, my kids loved it as did most of the kids in the audience. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: September 2, 2008, 01:42 AM »
And how was dad?

I honestly enjoyed it more the 2nd time and that says a lot since I liked it the first time...  Diane actually liked it a lot too.  She said it's clearly geared at a younger audience, but that it has a lot of action that adults should have fun watching.  She knew I'd be geeked over the Clones.  She liked Ziro the Hutt and his "weirdness" too. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #101 on: September 5, 2008, 12:14 AM »
To be completely honest, I still liked it and I found myself watching the backgrounds and all that and I found it even more enjoyable.  My boys though, wow they are pumped for 10/3 and I guess I can't blame them, imagine growing up with SW on TV every Friday night instead of some lame Hillbillys driving a Charger with a confedarate flag painted on the top

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: September 5, 2008, 12:20 AM »
You sir, just took a massive poop on my childhood, but I agree...  And on top of that, it's Star WARS, not the lame lovestory crap and Anakin this and that, but rather it's actual warfare, and kids love that crap.  I can't find a Rex near me actually, and that I think speaks volumes about this cartoon's impact on children.  I saw not a ton in the theater last weekend, but the kids there were like with you Scott, and they loved every second of it and laughed at every joke (lame or ok), and were all talking about toys as the movie went on...  That really is a sign it's a success I think. 

I don't think the figures are doing too bad either...  I see animated and Legends mostly but I think Legacy's getting overlooked by retailers, as predicted by some.