Author Topic: Clue - No longer the game we grew up with  (Read 1757 times)

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Clue - No longer the game we grew up with
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:03 PM »
As we all remember growing up the game of Clue was a great game of who done it and where.

Professor Plum in the Library with the wrench...

Well no more! Hasbro has decided to make the game a bit more modern and attempt to get it to appeal to what they call "Tabloid Culture".

Check out there story.

Goodbye, professor. Farewell, colonel.

Toy maker Hasbro Inc. has updated its classic Clue game for today's tabloid culture to include younger characters, more weapons, and new rooms, including a spa and guest house.

The six characters' last names remain the same, but their first names and bios have been updated. For example, Miss Scarlet is now Kasandra Scarlet, a famous actress often featured in tabloids. And Mr. Green is now Jacob Green, an African-American "with all the ins."

Colonel Mustard is now Jack Mustard, a former football player. The professor? Now Victor Plum, a billionaire video game designer.

Each character — rounded out by Eleanor Peacock and Diane White — also now has a special power that could help players discover clues more quickly. New “intrigue” and “clock” cards add clues and can eliminate players in the latest version of the game.

Hasbro has also lengthened the weapons list from six to nine. The candlestick, knife and rope remain, but now weapons choices include a dumbbell, trophy or poison. The lead pipe, revolver and wrench are no longer part of the game.

Meanwhile, new rooms include a theater, spa and guest house nearby.

Pawtucket, R.I.-based Hasbro has previously updated Clue — first created in 1949 — with an express version and a Simpsons version, but the new incarnation will be a replacement for the original version of Clue currently on store shelves.

It will be available nationwide beginning in the fall, for about $15.99.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Clue - No longer the game we grew up with
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:05 PM »
I am so happy my old deluxe clue set is still in great shape. This doesnt sound too exciting.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:23 AM »
Clue was one of my favorite games as a younger kid.  I'm also glad to have the classic still in my back room.

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:11 PM »
BUt the plpayer is still solving a murder, right??? Hopefully that doesnt change. The nonsense back stories to the characters are just that, nonsense.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 01:22 PM »
I wonder if this increases the games difficulty or just dumbs it down again.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 10:38 AM »
Don't worry folks, after the backlash about this, Hasbro will release the old version as "Classic Clue."  Mark my words.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 11:19 PM »
They already had done some of the above...  There was a Clue 2, which expanded the size of the mansion and added characters, weapons, etc.  There was a cop, a "Southern Belle" type woman, etc.  This isn't sounding terribly different from that, other than the character's abilities and the clock.

Clue...  Now there's a funny movie.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 09:51 AM »
Don't worry folks, after the backlash about this, Hasbro will release the old version as "Classic Clue."  Mark my words.

If not a backlash, "classic clue" will be released for nostalgia's sake.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I wish they would rerelease Clue -  the great museum caper. It was fun playing the art theft against all the other players and avoiding the video cameras and motion detectors.

This is a 3D Clue variant, which pits the "thief" against the rest of the players, who take the role of detectives. As the thief, you secretly plot your movements around a private art museum. As you go, the detectives take turns trying to find you with their eyes, the video cameras, or motion detectors. You can deactivate the cameras, and you can even cut off the power to the entire museum to mask your movements. Another advantage is that the thief gets a turn after every detective's individual turn.

Another problem for the detectives is the fact that, once the thief has picked up a painting, she can take her next turn before removing the painting from the gameboard. The good guys know the vicinity, but won't know her exact location, as the thief is now up to 3 squares away from that spot. If a detective ever spots you with the naked eye, secret movement is over, and the thief's token is placed on the board for all to see. This can get frantic, since the thief can only move 1-3 spaces, while detectives roll a d6 for movement!

The thief player has to decide when to attempt a getaway. The catch is, some of the windows and doors are locked. There are actual lock pieces, and you must flip over the one you are attempting to open (instant detective frenzy!). If she has stolen 3 paintings (in a one-off game), and manages to get out, she wins. In a tournament style game, each player gets a turn at being the thief, so the number of paintings needed will vary based on the other players' scores.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 11:00 PM »
i still have that museum game, but i haven't played it for years. that was a lot of fun.