Author Topic: So, Now Have We Seen the Last of "New" Star Wars on the Big Screen?  (Read 12694 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Now that we've seen the Clone Wars animated movie released (which was a bit of a surprise when it was first announced), do you think we've seen the last of the "new" Star Wars movies on the big screen?  Of course, we'll likely see 3D versions of the Saga at some point - or maybe even just regular re-releases for some anniversary or an other - but do you think we'll see any other new movies on the big screen?

Will we see another animated movie (even though this one didn't do great box office numbers) eventually?  Will we see some sort of live action movie to kick off that series if/when it happens?  Will Lucas (or someone) go back and continue the Saga with even earlier prequels - or something that happens later on in the timeline?  Obviously, its impossible to know for sure, but I was curious what some peoples opinions were on the future of Star Wars at the theater.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
It's not over...As much as I'd like it to be - it has only been three years and we already have a new """" movie""""  There's way too much (more) money to be made on this franchise and I just can't see them killing the cash cow.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
I vote no...  it may take a few years, but there will be another SW movie.  Like Mikey (and others before him) said, ther is too much money to be made for them not to do more.

I will not be surprised if Lucas is using a "Star Trek" type model for his live action TV show...  let the show run for a while then start kicking out movies/spinoffs based on the TV show characters.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
I will not be surprised if Lucas is using a "Star Trek" type model for his live action TV show...  let the show run for a while then start kicking out movies/spinoffs based on the TV show characters.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the live action TV show's first three episodes are squished together and shown in theaters.  ::)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
I vote no...  it may take a few years, but there will be another SW movie.  Like Mikey (and others before him) said, ther is too much money to be made for them not to do more.

Yeah, that is a good point/idea Jeff - I could see Lucas doing that as well.  I'm getting more and more curious about the live action show, and hopefully we'll start getting some nuggets of information relating to that over the next year or so.  It doesn't seem very far along from what I've heard - what was the last reported "start date" for that?  I think it keeps getting pushed back.  Either way, I believe the time period was between ROTS and ANH, which would be cool - because hopefully we could see more OT-ish designs and concepts, since we're getting a lot of PT-era stuff lately (and more so with Clone Wars now).

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
It's only a matter of time before we see episodes VII-IX.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
So, Now Have We Seen the Last of "New" Star Wars on the Big Screen?

God, I hope so.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
There was an interesting article up at IGN today, discussing future big screen options for the Star Wars universe.  I know many people, particularly after the prequels, might be thinking "leave it be" - but I have to admit that I'd probably be pretty excited if we heard news of more SW movies.  With the resurrection of Star Trek, and now with people buzzing about things like Avatar, it just reminded me how much I missed looking forward to a new Star Wars movie every few years.

They give a few options at IGN, and I'm sure there are many others we could come up with as well.  I have always liked the idea of seeing the Thrawn trilogy done, whether animated (and on TV) or on the big screen.  Honestly, in a perfect world, it would have been nice to see the original actors (Hamill/Ford/Leia in particular) take part in something like this, but they may be getting a little old for this at this point.  They also mention going the mo-cap route for situations like this, which may work, but I don't know if it would be "the same" without the real actors.  You never know though.  I know some would like to see a whole new take (like something like Knights of the Old Republic), and I'll admit I'm not very familiar with that at all so it could be cool, but I think I like things that are somewhat related character-wise to the original movies (like the prequels were).  Anyways, just wanted to bump this topic up...anyone care to see more SW on the big screen, and if so, what would you like to see?  The animated route didn't seem to be super popular (with CW not really doing much at the box office), but part of that might have been timing too (I wonder how an animated CW movie would do now, with all of the success of the series).

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: So, Now Have We Seen the Last of "New" Star Wars on the Big Screen?
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 01:15 PM »
I think if they did a new movie it would have to be set during the NJO period. One, because Lucas doesn't have to worry to much about the books and pissing off EU fans. Two because you could theoretically have Ford, Hammil, and Fisher back in Star Wars which would be EPIC.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 02:42 AM »
Really?  You'd want to see Ford, Hammil, and Fisher, all reprise their roles?  ???
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 03:46 PM »
I saw a bump on Adult Swim last night that said George Lucas was buying the image rights to older actors.  Think he saw Tron: Legacy and had an idea?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 07:50 PM »
All three of them would probably prefer to be voice actors anyway.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Really?  You'd want to see Ford, Hammil, and Fisher, all reprise their roles?  ???

Of course I would. You wouldn't? That way you have the expereinced actors to ground the movie and link it to the OT. Additionally you have the chance to bring in younger characters as their children and other NJO folks. If it were done right (which unfortunately it probably wouldn't) it would be amazing.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: February 3, 2011, 03:24 AM »
I just watched Carrie Fisher's one-woman-show thing on cable the other day...  She's funny, but she ain't Leia anymore, and I'd question her ability to reprise her role as Leia very well.  Her youth played something into her character.  Hammil's too.  They're not really the grandest actors, not to me anyway.  And they're old now, and out of shape, and so on...  I don't know that I'd want to see an old, overweight Leia, or a wrinkly Luke...  I'm ok without that.  I'm ok with the saga ending the way it did.

Harrison Ford is the only one who could possibly play Han Solo as an older guy and do the job well...  I think the rest I'm happy to not see them try.  They'd only probably ruin my expectations, with or without heavy Lucas involvement.

I honestly think the Prequals would be a greater success as far as being a "work of art", than your suggestion of seeing the OT characters as old people with kids, possibly grandkids, etc.  I like the OT more, as do most of us I feel sure, but I'm happy with it being over at this point.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 3, 2011, 03:33 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 3, 2011, 02:21 PM »
I don't even remotely doubt that we'll see new Star Wars material on the big screen again one day.  Its just too valuable of an asset not to make it back there.  And with the way film tech is evolving, it wouldn't surprise me to see Luke/Han/Leia reprise their roles as nothing more than CGI.  James Cameron said that if he had devoted the same amount of time to making regular people as he did to creating the Navari in Avatar, he could have easily cooked up realistic looking people with nothing but CGI.  Why not utilize this method to create a SW story beyond ROTJ using the characters we all know and love?  It isn't an IF, but a WHEN.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today