Author Topic: New To Vintage Collecting? Some Tips!  (Read 87757 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: New To Vintage Collecting? Some Tips!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2003, 10:32 AM »
Scott (and others) are those prices from earthtoymall good?  Should I be able to beat them on ebay or are they reasonably fair.  I realize condition is a crap shoot with ebay so that's the big variable.  

Lost auctions for original 12 and amanaman last night.  Both failed to meet the reserve.   :(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2003, 11:07 AM »
I personally believe you can find the BEST deals either on eBay or at your local flea markets and garage sales.
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2003, 11:23 AM »
The prices on the earthtoymall look OK. The figures are in great condition Complete & non-complete & if you need some original weapons, the prices are fare & best of all, no repro's.

Yes, eBay is a crap shoot. There are figures that you can get cheaper but the condition may not be has described.

As for auctions with a reserve, I tend to stay away from them as the seller is protecting his investment & the resevre maybe high. Sometimes its not the case. I just feel reserve auctions are a waste of time IMO.  

One of the best scores I have seen in along time was from a fellow member from Canmore, Jawa The Hut, (Brent).
He bid on an auction from down east & it included the first 12 figures & a Jawa with a plastic cape. He spent a few bucks on this auction. I think it was around $165. CDN. He showed me the auction & ask if the Jawa was real. It was hard to tell from the picture. He received the figures & a few months later, Brent came to Edmonton to visit & he brought the Jawa so we could look at it. After we hit some stores here, I took a look at it then mentioned that Shane will have to look at it too. At that time, I did not tell him what I thought of it. Shane took the cape off & used a magnifying glass to get a real good look at the cape.

Well low & behold, thats French for high & behind,  ;D the Jawa was Real. A very nice Vinyl Cape Jawa. He was very excited on the score.  :o

So some auctions can be Gold then again....

As Chris mentioned, check the flee markets, garage sales. People just want to get rid of the stuff & you can haggle.  ;)

Your choice though.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2003, 11:56 AM »
Flea Markets in Winnipeg suck, plain and simple.  There are seldom any vintage figures available.  Worse, most of the recent influx of Winnipegers over at snowtroopers.ca are all enthralled with one guy there that sells stuff.  Jason is his name and he is the single largest scalper in town.  They all rant and rave how he has stuff and stores never do.  well duh, that's because he and his buddies hit Walmart and TRU right at opening all the time.  And these guys think it's great.  I got a trilogo Jango from him and no stores had it!!!! ::) >:(  Aaargh, that's because he was at the store before you and just charged you $5 for his effort.  [/rant]

Garage sales are tough too.  Sometimes you find stuff, but I find the quality to be really low and almost never any weapons.  Plus after driving all week for work (~1000 km or more) the last thing I want to do on a Saturday is get out of bed and get into the car.  Lazy yes, but I like mail delivery ;D

I guess essentially what I'm saying is for a couple more bucks, I'd eliminate the risk and effort.  

As regards the reserve auctions, yeah, protecting their investment is about it.  And I don't blame them a bit.  Looking at the Amanaman on that page that Scott linked at $99 bucks, $52 for complete with staff and coin and card seemed pretty cool.  But it didn't meet the reserve so no go.  No harm really as I maintain I am in no rush.  8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 1, 2003, 04:18 PM »
Just scored a copy of the action figure archive from Amazon.com for $9.98 ;D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #35 on: July 1, 2003, 04:26 PM »
Just scored a copy of the action figure archive from Amazon.com for $9.98 ;D

You dumbhead Brent!   :P  I've got several copies that I got for free as part of a TRU promotion last year.  Can you cancel your order still?  I'll send you a copy for free in my next package to you if you can...  I had them up in my trading list for quite a while, but seem to have recently deleted them from there for some reason...   :-\

Great book!  Just wish they'd make an update of it, but Sansweet keeps saying it ain't gonna happen...   :'(
« Last Edit: July 1, 2003, 04:28 PM by JediMAC »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #36 on: July 1, 2003, 04:30 PM »
I'll send you a copy for free in my next package to you if you can...  

Matt, care to send one of those for free in my package?   ;D
dustrho

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 1, 2003, 11:30 PM »
Nope, can't cancel it but thanks very much for the generous offer Matt.  It's that cheap, relatively speaking, because it's coming from one of their secondary stores.  I checked and I am out of luck.  

Maybe Jim would like another copy.  Or, if yours is the hardcover version, I wouldn't mind having one of those.  I'd even buy it.  I have the softcover version coming.  

Just my luck ::)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 2, 2003, 09:37 AM »
Here's at site showing the figures on all sides & anything else that came with them. Just scroll down till you see Thumbnail Gallery, click & there will be Thumbnails of the figures. Just click on the figure you want & you can enlarge it for a better look. Enjoy!

Action Figure Showcase

obi_robz

« Reply #39 on: July 8, 2003, 05:07 PM »
That’s the best resource for new collectors I’ve seen posted so far – thanks, DSJ!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #40 on: July 8, 2003, 05:31 PM »
That's an awesome site!  I just finished downloading all the different wallpapers... very cool!
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 1, 2003, 10:18 AM »
I like the site too. It has everything I need to look at & a very nice setup!  8)
Glad you guys like it.  :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2003, 09:59 AM »
What, no Vinyl Cape Jawa or R2-D2 wind-up!  ;D   :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2003, 01:24 PM »
Yeah, but that would have been about all that you had to chase.  Well, that and Vlix.