Author Topic: Lego 2009  (Read 46089 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Lego 2009
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2009, 12:21 PM »
My word of advice to anyone who is especially on a budget - STAY AWAY.  I started collecting Star Wars in 2000 and managed to stay away from LEGO up until last year when I found a UCS Batmobile clearanced down to $20 (I needed a toy "fix" that day and this was just too good of a deal to pass up)  Eversince then I've been hooked and I know I've dropped over a grand on this stuff since last year, but I'm staying true to just Star Wars sets only. 

I always thought that having Hasbro's version of everything was fine enough, but I was wrong.  Most of these sets are brilliant and have excellent play features - for the kid inside.  Not to mention all the ships that Hasbro is afraid of making.

This stuff is like crack.

I could definitely see it becoming addicting.  I'm sure LEGO collectors could have quite a set up at this point, with all the nice sets that have been released over the years.  That's one advantage that LEGO seems to have over Hasbro - nothing seems to be off limits.  Like you said, they do a lot of vehicles (and playset/environments) that Hasbro can't or won't touch.  I'm always tempted by them, but like I said, to get into them heavily I'd have to give up pretty much everything else (and probably sell a lot of it too).  The LEGO stuff doesn't exactly seem cheap.

Offline skyward72

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2009, 01:35 PM »

I feel your pain.  I recently jumped onto the Lego bandwagon fulltime.  I have given up collecting Hasbro all together.  Here are some of the pros, Legos easy to find even just after release, Legos are only released twice a year for the most part making it easier to budget your money.  Of course the major downside is cost, you have some sets costing hundreds of $$$$.  If you are a completist it may be tough and very expensive to catch up.  Overall no toy line out right has quite the same collectable value a Lego set holds.  Once a set retires good luck finding it at MSRP
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:40 PM by skyward72 »

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2009, 10:26 AM »
The dropship with AT-OT looked awesome in person.  And totally massive.

This set was one of my personal favorites.  And apparently the fans voted on this one.

Home One with green squadron A-Wing

This LEGO set seems very interesting to buy.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2009, 10:29 AM »
We've been talking these in the MN thread, but wasn't sure if it had been mentioned in the main Lego thread, but Target has a V19 Starfighter and Grievous' ship mini set for $4 in the Easter toy section if anyone is interested.

If this was already mentioned sorry for the repeat.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2009, 11:03 AM »
Target lately has had a bunch of cool, stocking stuffer sized star was items.  They usually have a selection of the single figure boxes in a couple themes (Space, Town, Castle), its just too bad that would be categorized as an action figure by LFL, otherwise I bet we'd get some cool like clonetrooper, or something sets.  I hope the trend of the mini-ships continues in Target's season area.  I haven't been able to pick up a ton of the mini ships, but I've always been happy with the ones I did find.
I am not the Stig

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2009, 12:35 PM »
I saw the V-19 and Grievous starfighter MINI sets at our Target yesterday, and was tempted to pick one or both up.  I passed for now, as I always told myself I'd stick to the OT ones if I bought into this line more.  I sort of missed out on these the first time around, although I did pick up a Falcon at our local TRU towards the end of that line.  I hope to pick up the rest of the OT ones eventually, and wouldn't mind seeing them continue...like you said, even if its as Target seasonal items.  Really nice idea as an Easter basket/stocking stuffer/etc. type of item.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2009, 01:18 PM »
The mini Torrent is AWESOME - especially at $3.99.  Wait for the Easter clearance if you're on your toes.  Either way you wouldn't be dissapointed, but I can understand trying to limit where you go with this hobby.  I'm planning on picking up a few more to go with the Venator even though it'll be out of scale.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2009, 03:55 PM »
I saw these at Target today.  I almost missed them; they were in the bottom bin closest to the end cap in the Easter stuff area.  They were in plastic bags (not in a small carton like I would have guessed).  They also had some stuffed Vader toys and CW mini puzzles that came with Obi-Wan or Yoda Galactic Heroes figures.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2009, 08:03 AM »
I wish I knew about these Target sets last Sunday since I had stopped by a Target.  I guess I'll make a stop today to pick these up.

Offline skyward72

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2009, 11:21 PM »
The AT-OT is now available for order on Lego.com

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2009, 03:35 AM »
Are the Target Mini sets in the dollar section or the Easter section with all the candy and Easter baskets? I have yet to find them.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2009, 07:59 AM »
Are the Target Mini sets in the dollar section or the Easter section with all the candy and Easter baskets? I have yet to find them.

In the Easter section at the Target I went to, they had an aisle of small toys next to the candy aisle.  I found the lego sets in a small box on the bottom shelf at the end of the rack.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2009, 09:57 AM »
I saw them in the same as EdSolo at three targets (In the small toy isle within the Easter section, in the last bin, bottom shelf).
I am not the Stig

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2009, 11:23 PM »
Cool, ended up picking up one of each today when I went to get Quantum of Solace. I'm going to wait for the Easter clearance and see if I can take my receipt in and get a discount.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2009, 10:42 AM »
I'm going to wait for the Easter clearance and see if I can take my receipt in and get a discount.

That doesn't work on clearanced items.  Just hold on to your original "full price" receipt and buy a clearanced one.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN