Author Topic: Classic board games thread  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Classic board games thread
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:24 AM »
With the talk of a new version of Clue coming out, I thought I would start a thread about some classic board games that I loved as a kid. Starting out is one that was kind of creepy and unusual.

There was a game I had back in the mid '70s called Seance. Players would bid on dead Uncle Everett's possessions and the high bidder listens to instructions from their dead Uncle via a record (played on the record player hidden in the deck.) When all the items have been bid on and acquired, the record in the desk in turned over and Uncle Everett tells the players what each of the items is worth or how is due in taxes for the item. The player with the most cash at the end of the game is the winner.

I wish I still had this game. A working version of the game is suppost to be extreemly rare due to the technology used back then.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:25 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Classic board games thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:29 AM »
You guys remember Dark Tower.  One of my favorite games as a youth.  My brother bought one eBay a few years ago and it was quite pricey.  I haven't checked recently.

(Image taken from a random blog)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 10:35 AM »
I remember that game! That was fun. I wish I could find a complete version of it again.

Here is another one I wish I could find. It's Mattel's eletronic Dungeons and Dragons. In this one, the computer would generate a maze with a dragon and treasure in it. You would move your piece along and listen to the sounds it would make on the board. The sound would tell you if you hit a wall or if the dragon is nearby. The idea is to find the treasure before being eaten.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:36 AM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:04 PM »
so wait, on that Seance game - if it was a record of the Uncle revealing the real prices of the items, what kind of replay value did the game have? the prices would be the same every time, right?

one of my favorite games as a kid was the original Electronic Battleship:

i can still remember the incessant "dit-DINNNNNNNNG" sonar sound effect that played during the entire game. lots of fun.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 12:05 PM »
The record would play randomly alternate tracks. Pretty cool technology for 1974.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 04:09 PM »
You guys made playing games waaaay too complicated.   Electronic Battleship, hidden record players................  Didn't you ever just play simple games, like spin the bottle?

"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 05:00 PM »
The best board game ever is without question this one...

I don't think any others compare

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 03:41 PM »
The record would play randomly alternate tracks. Pretty cool technology for 1974.

wow, cool. ok, i approve.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 03:31 PM »
Another unsual game I had is the Haunted Mansion board game. This one was based on Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. It was pretty cool. Your piece was a Doombuggy and the ghosts would turn and change the path you are on.

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Wow! Some of those are pretty cool. I remember one growing up called haunted house that was a 3-D board game with a swinging broom and a silver ball that would get knocked down stairs to trip you up. I haven't seen it in years. I have a couple of those Dungeons and Dragons game but the problem with them is the touch board goes bad. I've not tried to take one apart to fix but I've got two complete ones if you ever get one missing pieces but works. I've been hitting thrift stores and picking up any cool games I can find. Recent pick ups include a complete Death Star Escape and Transformers board games. We just picked up a working Manhunt game. We pick up just about any complete board game we can find but try to stick to vintage and 3-d/electronic type games. The stuff you just don't see. The wierder the better. We've managed to build up quite a collection of them. I saw one of those Dark Tower games at a toy show not too long ago, he wanted $400 for it. I had a friend growing up who had it and we played it all the time. I emailed her not too long ago to see if she still had it but she had given all her old games to goodwill. I figure if I keep hitting them long enough I'll come across some of the games I grew up with. We picked up a game called Wedjet too, it's a bit complicated but looks like it could be fun. We've found a few Egyption themed games, most of them like chess but made out of wood with a lot of detail. Plus we manage to find some cool toys once in awhile. I got a lego Millenium Falcon once for $15 but had to part with it when I was short on cash.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 08:47 PM »
I think this is the Haunted House game you mean. It was originally called Witch Witch. Then it was changed to Ghost Castle.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:48 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 09:53 PM »

Roll the dice, click the clock hand around the number on the dice.  If nothing happens, you advance your token, but sometimes Dracula's cape would spring open and then you'd have to put your finger in his mouth and he'd bite you with two little red felt tip markers.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 10:56 PM »
What a bizaar game!

Here is another one with a bite! Jaws! You have to grab all of the pieces out of the shark's mouth before it snaps shut!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:01 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:10 PM »
What a bizaar game!

Here is another one with a bite! Jaws! You have to grab all of the pieces out of the shark's mouth before it snaps shut!

Oh yea, I remember that one.  It was quite nerve wracking as I recall!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 09:42 AM »
The trick here is to use weak rubber bands.