Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2008  (Read 85991 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2008
« Reply #300 on: December 29, 2008, 05:17 PM »
I'm less embarassed by the loss than the remarks of the Dallas Quarterback after the game...  If he is going to try to be a Brett Favre clone he is going to need to have some emotion.  Yes Romo, you're too laid back and cool to take this stuff seriously and yes you get to go home to Jessica at the end of the day win or lose, but crap your job as an NFL Quarterback is to WIN games, not just play them.  What exactly did he do all those years of riding the pine?  Practice his golf swing?  Surely he was there when Parcells would chew somebody out for throwing and INT or fumbling?  Wouldn't you think somebody would look at that and think "IF I ever get MY chance, I'm going to protect the ball"...

And that is just one player on this collective (they can't be called a Team)...that needs to be replaced next year with Scabs or local High School Talent or the now idle Arena League Desperados.

And thanks to the media hounding Jerry Jones, he can't fire Wade Phillips now.  Of course if Wade had any dignity he would resign.  

But the playofs are easier to watch when I don't have a rooting interest.  

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #301 on: December 29, 2008, 06:05 PM »
It's funny but people dont' put enough importance sometimes on what a player's demeanor is after games.  I agree Paul, that if you're putzing around in interviews after a game and you're just not showing much of any sign that you give a poo, you're a douche...  especially after a loss like Dallas was handed.  I saw the score on the ticker and was simply shocked.

It's something I watch for in all the players interviewed after a game, especially a loss.  Who cares, and who's showing smiles?  I let Ward slide because he always smiles, but I can recall a couple players in the past who just didn't care.  Pisses me off when someone doesn't care...  Show you aren't happy.  Show you're upset...  Show some sign of life that this means something to you.  We do the same thing with the kids.  You scan the eyes and see who gave a **** about winning and who didn't.  The kid who gave a **** about winning is the one you're gonna see working harder next week, and the ones who didn't your'e gonna see goofing off in the stands when you're watching the older kids play later that evening.  You can sorta tell who's going to do something in the sport later on in their life by those moments.

I just thank god Diane's boys always care, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #302 on: December 30, 2008, 05:12 PM »
And that is just one player on this collective (they can't be called a Team)

Well said.  I like how most of the Pre-Game experts picked them to win the Superbowl this year based mainly on how many pro-bowlers they had.  They play more like 11 individuals...not a team and that's why their record sucked (besides injuries).

And thanks to the media hounding Jerry Jones, he can't fire Wade Phillips now. Of course if Wade had any dignity he would resign.  

Do you think Wade Phillips is actually the coach of the team?  Jerry Jones has been the coach since Jimmy Johnson left.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #303 on: December 30, 2008, 06:43 PM »
Well yeah i was  :'( and  :-[ the other day over our unreal giving up of the division after holding it all season, but wow Stunner! :shock: "Denver Broncos fire Mike Shanahan". didn't see that coming. kinda thought he would always be our coach. kinda strange. i mean i've been following them pretty much from the time he took over 14 years ago.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 31, 2008, 08:52 AM »

Do you think Wade Phillips is actually the coach of the team?  Jerry Jones has been the coach since Jimmy Johnson left.

I know that is the trendy and fun thing for most non-Dallas fans and especially fans of Rival teams teams to say, but it really is not the case as much as ESPN would have you believe.   Jones probably has as much power on play calling and "scheme" planning as any other GM, he is the GM too after all.  And that is the problem Jerry has, he is the Owner, GM and Head Cheerleader.  If he could get a good GM he could then be the constant flag waiver that the Owner needs to be.  But as a GM, he needs to be able to say that Romo is a let down, that Wade is a mouth breather and that t.o. is a distraction and the Changes are going to be made. Another problem I see with his management of the team (as a GM) is that he is constantly trying to win "THIS YEAR"...   Dallas needs young talent with some solid veteran leadership.  There is a leadership void in the Lockerroom and Coaches office. 

I am also not one of those phony Football purists that populate the web that hate on Jones for "buying talent"....The problem I have is where he shops.   

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #305 on: December 31, 2008, 01:09 PM »
My brother has been a Cowboys fan since the days of Too Tall Jones and he cannot stand Jerry Jones.  He also thinks he's the coach of the team (or at the least wants to be).

I agree with you though that the Cowboys don't seem to have much of a plan for the future.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 31, 2008, 05:46 PM »
There are plenty of local folks that have a strong dislike for Jerry just because he got rid of Landry.   These same folks HATED Jimmy till Jerry and Jimmy got cross...then they became Jimmy fans.  And I don't even doubt that during the 5-11 seasons with Chan Galey and Dave Campo that those were Jerry coached teams.   It is just not as "obvious" as folks like to make out in their mind.  If we are looking at a sliding scale, it is by no means as obtrusive as Al Davis and little Danny Snyder...but not as subtle as the other 29 anonymous owners (or ownership groups) who have no recognition outside their home market.

Dallas did make a coaching move today...some special teams assistant....boy that will show them.  Next up the equipment guy, then hopefully Rowdy the cartoon mascot (unless he can complete a pass, then suit him up)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 2, 2009, 02:00 PM »
NFC North: Vikings  ;D
NFC East: Cowboys   ???
NFC South: Saints   ???
NFC West: Seahawks   :-\
Wild Card: Giants  :D
Wild Card: Eagles  ;D

AFC North: Steelers  ;D
AFC East: Patriots  :( :(
AFC South: Jaguars  >:(
AFC West: Chargers  ;D
Wild Card: Colts  ;D
Wild Card: Browns  >:(

NFC Championship: Cowboys over Saints  >:( >:(
AFC Championship: Patriots over Jaguars   :'( >:(

Super Bowl: Pats over Cowboys  :'( >:(

My pre-season picks with bonus smiley commentary.  Holy ****, that was bad.  My four Championship teams didn't even make the playoffs (thanks Favre for the help. Asswipe).

Let's see if I do slightly better with playoff predictions.  I really think all four away teams can win this weekend, but I just don't see it happening.  At least one home team has to win.

Wild Card:
Eagles over Vikings
Falcons over Cardinals
Ravens over Dolphins
Chargers over Colts

Divisional:
Giants over Eagles
Panthers over Falcons
Titans over Ravens
Steelers over Chargers

Conference Championship:
Panthers over Giants
Titans over Steelers

Super Bowl:
Titans over Panthers
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #308 on: January 2, 2009, 03:41 PM »
NFC North: Vikings ;D
NFC East: Cowboys ???
NFC South: Saints  ???
NFC West: Seahawks :-\
Wild Card: Redskins  :-\
Wild Card: Packers  >:(

AFC North: Steelers  ;D
AFC East: Patriots  ???
AFC South: Indy  :)
AFC West: Denver  :-\
Wild Card: Browns >:(
Wild Card: Jaguars >:(

Super Bowl: Colts over Cowboys

Wow...I did just as bad

Here is my playoff bracket

NFC

Eagles over Vikings
Cardinals over Falcons
Panthers over Cardinals
Giants over Eagles
Panthers over Giants

AFC

Colts over Chargers
Ravens over Dolphins
Ravens over Titans
Colts over Steelers
Colts over Ravens

Super Bowl

Colts over Panthers

Book it

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 2, 2009, 04:12 PM »
NFC
Giants over Eagles

With the way both teams have been playing lately, I'd go with the Eagles (plus Eagles beat the Giants last time out). I might be biased though, being an Eagles fan.  8)
« Last Edit: January 2, 2009, 04:13 PM by Darth Vlad »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #310 on: January 2, 2009, 05:17 PM »
Wild Card:
Eagles over Vikings
Falcons over Cardinals
Dolphins over Ravens
Colts over Chargers

Divisional:
Giants over Eagles
Panthers over Falcons
Titans over Miami
Steelers over Colts

Conference Championship:
Panthers over Giants
Steelers over Titans

Super Bowl:
Steelers over Panthers
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #311 on: January 2, 2009, 05:32 PM »
I like the cut of Evenflow's Jib there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 2, 2009, 11:24 PM »
I'm taking the Vikes in an upset.  If they win, next time I'm in MN Scott's buying all my booze.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 3, 2009, 12:04 AM »
Wild Card:
- Eagles over Vikings
- Falcons over Cardinals
- Dolphins over Ravens
- Colts over Chargers

Divisional:
- Eagles over Giants
- Panthers over Falcons
- Dolphins over Titans
- Colts over Steelers

Conference:
- Panthers over Eagles
- Dolphins over Colts

Super Bowl:
- Panthers over Dolphins

I just hope at least one of the Manning led teams will be ousted. Manning vs. Manning will make me a bored, sad panda.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 3, 2009, 08:29 AM »
I'm taking the Vikes in an upset.  If they win, next time I'm in MN Scott's buying all my booze.

Careful on those bets with Scott.  He's been owing me a big frosty brew for several months now with no planned payment date in site.  My only hope is that the Vikings actually win a game or two and he decides to drive up to the cities to gloat.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today