Author Topic: Vehicles: Do You Buy Them?  (Read 8802 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicles: Do You Buy Them?
« Reply #15 on: September 3, 2008, 03:48 PM »
I have to admit that prequel battle is getting pretty crowded.

That is an interesting point, and maybe a whole other topic.  I won't speak for everyone, but I think quite a few of us (myself included) tend to lean a little more towards the Original Trilogy overall - but I don't know about others, but personally I have a lot more prequel stuff I think, just due to the movie years being so figure heavy.  It often seems even that non-movie years kind of tend to be more PT heavy as well.  Granted, I didn't get in on POTF2 collecting right at the beginning - but I did backtrack, and I know my prequel display case is jammed more full than the OT one at this point.  It just seems strange, because although I like the entire Saga, I definitely prefer the OT - but I seem to have more prequel stuff (or figures at least) at this point.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 4, 2008, 09:04 AM »
I only have more prequel ships because more were made. However, I did pick up a few large ties and various rebel ships on clearance when I had the opportunity, so I do have a bit of an OT fleet. If memory serves, it's something like this:

TIE fighters (large wing) - 7
Interceptors - 7
Bombers - 3
At-Ats - 6
At-Sts - 5

X-wings (FX scale) - 6
y-wings - 5
B-wings - 4
A-Wings - 6
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 4, 2008, 03:12 PM »
I don't buy a whole lot of vehicles, and when I do, they're usually OT. I may get some PT/CW vehicles later on, but I do prefer the OT. My vehicle collection currently consists of...

OT
TIE Fighter (Large Wings, Target exclusive)
Y-Wing (TRU exclusive)

PT
BARC Speeder (ROTS)
STAP (E1 Sneak Preview)
Vulture Droid (ROTS)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 4, 2008, 03:32 PM »
Its a little bit surprising to me how few of us (at least who have responded) actually collect the vehicles very much.  It seems like everyone has at least a couple, but I guess I kind of figured many to most would at least have the majority of the OT vehicles.  I figured it sort of went hand in hand, particularly with those who started collecting again at the beginning of the POTF2 line.  Personally, I didn't start right back then, and the only vehicles I had from the vintage line were hand-me-downs from my cousins (a Falcon and a Snowspeeder).  I always wanted more, but it just didn't work out that way.

Anyways, I wonder why many people steer clear of the vehicles.  Is it the space, the price, or just a lack of interest?  Maybe some had them and have since sold them.  I don't know if its the fact that I always wanted more as a kid, but I've always been excited about getting new vehicles.  At this point though, I'm considering stopping the PT ones (and maybe selling the ones I have), simply because I don't have the room.  Anyways, just kind of surprised that so few seem to collect the vehicles from Star Wars (at least from those who have replied so far).

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #19 on: September 5, 2008, 08:19 AM »

Anyways, I wonder why many people steer clear of the vehicles.  Is it the space, the price, or just a lack of interest? 

For me, it has always been the lack of interest. As i mentioned in the BMF thread, i actually bought it and returned it 30 min later. I just don't care about it. I only buy a vehicle if i cannot get the pack-in anywhere else and now with ebay, i tend to get lucky and be able to just get the figure at a fair price. I am much more excited about things like the Sarlaac than the AT-TE.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 11:10 AM »
I've been giving this topic some thought again lately.  As some of you may have seen from my "for sale" thread, I recently got news that I'm getting laid off at the end of '08 - and I'm currently in the process of selling off parts of my collection.  I've always been a fan of the vehicles, although I'm really running out of room for them.  I've given thought about selling off my prequel vehicles, and just stick to OT purchases from here on, but its tough to do.  I still like them, but I'm sort of using any sales I might get to fund new purchases next year (which looks OT heavy) - or to just fund general stuff we may need.  Plus, I guess its an excuse to pare things down a bit - but I'm worried I might regret selling some of them off later on.  Its interesting to see that a number of people here don't really collect vehicles in much capacity at all, I guess I figured it might have gone hand in hand with the figures.  Of course, I only had two vehicles my entire childhood, and it didn't seem to bother me much then ;).  Plus, finding space for them is becoming more and more difficult these days.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 11:20 AM »
I've generally only collected the figures.  I think it was a price thing, I could either get a $20 ship, or a couple figures (time was you could get 4, and then three and now only two...).  So I never really spent much on the vehicles.
I am not the Stig

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 10:08 AM »
Sorry to hear about your Job Brian. My family knows all to well how that feels.

I've actually passed on some vehicles for the first time. I'm not getting the Obi's Delta 2 and passed on the WM Gunship since I have four other Gunships already (and haven't gone into a WM in over eight months.) I never got an opener Grevious fighter and may never do so.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 2, 2009, 11:03 PM »
I still have quite a few PT vehicles, but they are stored at a friend's house, as I don't have enough room in my apartment.  I can't remember the last PT vehicle I bought, but I do have the podracers, the first Obi starship, Anakin & [purple outfitted female changling bounty hunter hired by Jango - obviously I can't remember her name right now and don't care enough to look it up]'s speeders, Dooku's speeder, and that's about all I can remember now.

OT vehicles are what I love.  I bought the Falcon and love it.  Also bought the Walmart A-Wing, but passed on the B-Wing, as I have the movie version.  I have multiple FX sized X-Wings (Lukes, Dagobah, whatever else), various Y-Wings (but not that Blue monstrocity), other A-Wings, multiple larged winged Ties, Vader's Tie, Tie Bomber, Luke's landspeeder, speederbikes, Sandcrawler, cloud car, 4 AT-AT's, 3 AT-ST's, the new Hoth speederbikes, and that might be about it.  I still can't believe I can't remember the bounty hunter's name... I can see her face, her carded figure, her alien face, outfit, helmet, but can't get her name... guess it will come to me once I hit "Post".

Oh... and sorry to hear about your job Brian.  Mine ends at the end of December 2009.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 3, 2009, 11:08 AM »
I just put all my PT vehicles in a tub and threw them in my car hole. That's been my trend lately, all my PT stuff is going in boxes in favor of OT. Just yesterday I replaced some PT displays with the Scarlac set and second Skiff.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #25 on: January 4, 2009, 09:17 PM »
Just like the figures, I love NEW vehilcles, and buy every one that comes out.  I do not buy repaints, which makes up at least 50% of the product these days.  I have one Gunship, one ARC, one big winged TIE, and so on...the same Jedi fighter on many different colors does nothing for me.

For those who don't buy Prequel Vehicles.  Many of these are really great, well-made toys.  The V-Wing, Grievous' ship, The Three Legged walker and the new Obi-Wan fighter are excellent.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 7, 2009, 08:53 AM »
For those who don't buy Prequel Vehicles.  Many of these are really great, well-made toys.  The V-Wing, Grievous' ship, The Three Legged walker and the new Obi-Wan fighter are excellent.

Agreed, and that's why I'm having a tough time getting rid of all the prequel ships at this point.  That recent Obi-Wan fighter is one of my favorite vehicles of the line I think, and I really enjoy a number of the other recent vehicles as well.  The V-19, V-Wing, AT-PT, and ARC 170 are all really good ships/toys I think, and I've always been a fan of the ROTS era Jedi Starfighters as well (repaints aside).

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #27 on: January 7, 2009, 03:23 PM »
These prequel vehicles are so well done, I really want to see Hasbro work on some new OT stuff...AT-ST, little Snowspeeder, even a new Speederbike would be awesome.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 7, 2009, 04:13 PM »
These prequel vehicles are so well done, I really want to see Hasbro work on some new OT stuff...AT-ST, little Snowspeeder, even a new Speederbike would be awesome.

Those three and a MUCH better scaled AT-AT seemed to be the biggest requests now for redos from the OT.

I'm still waiting on a Twin Pod Cloud car though... I know it's not as "iconic" as those others, but I'd still like to see it redone and better.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 7, 2009, 07:20 PM »
I think a better AT-ST would be better received than a new AT-AT.  The AT-ST has more potential all the way around.

-Room to be upgraded.  It can be upsized to featured a larger cockpit
-There's less plastic involved in upsizing the AT-ST
-It can ship in a significantly smaller package than the AT-AT, and package size is a great determinant in whether or not something can make it to retail.
-You can pack in a hero figure!  You could go with either Chewbacca or Han Solo in AT-ST Driver disguise as a pack-in to help drive sales.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback