Author Topic: 28 Days Later  (Read 6014 times)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
28 Days Later
« on: June 27, 2003, 09:50 PM »
No, its not the sequel to that craptastic Sandra Bullock movie...

Just got back from seeing this flick, and it was absolutely fantastic! The gritty feel really added to the intensity of the movie, and there are quite a few jump out of your seat scare scenes. Definately worth the price of admission, I cant wait for it to come out on DVD! :)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Days Later
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 10:34 PM »
Sweet, I'm going to see it tomorrow. Looking forward to it immensely.
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Jango Fettish

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 10:36 PM »
Excellent! Me and D-Mo are gunna catch it tomorrow. Sounds promising.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 11:03 PM »
Its a much more involved story than its seems like it would be. Its definately not just a Night of the Living Dead, go hide in the farmhouse scare flick. For as intense and creepy as it is, there is a nice amount of character development. There is actually not a bunch of human eating type stuff you might expect of it. The infected people are some of the creepiest characters I've seen in a movie, much more realistic and frightening that your typical comedic undead.

What makes it such a great movie is the realistic feel though. You feel like youre there with these people, like this really happened and someone happened to be there with a video camera. It's not Blair Witch real (as in motion sickness camera movements), but it does kind of have a documentary, non-invasive filming feel to it. Add to that a completely plausible story, something not completely zany and out in left field. It does make a lot of sense, and in an age of biological weapons, new diseases, etc, it has a very realistic feel. You can almost become convinced that, hey, something like this could happen, somewhere, somehow. Its a very reasonable story.

Another little thing that is nice about it is the fact that it literally jumps right into the movie. No beginning credits, etc. As soon as the Fox Searchlight music ends and the logo fades, the movie starts. If you didn't know the name of the movie, you might actually not figure out what it was called. The make the title part of the story, just as a piece of progression. The story begins, goes through a brief story of how it all began, "28 days later..." fades in, and the next scene starts.

Hey, and Brendan Gleeson is in it, a fantastic actor that doesnt get nearly the credit he deserves.

Im really starting to become a fan of Fox Searchlight pictures, they are really tossing some great flicks out there for people to see (One Hour Photo was fantastic, and the upcoming Garage Days looks like it could be decent).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 11:08 PM by BigDumbWookiee »

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 11:16 PM »
AND........ lol ;)

Its just fun to watch! Especially if you have a good audience. I cant remember how many times I just wanted to scream out "FOR GODS SAKE DONT GO IN THERE!" Lots of moaning and groaning (from the audience mind you). It would be a great movie to go see again with a lot of friends, just to be roudy and interactive with the movie

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2003, 12:53 AM »
It looks to be a great movie, but hasn't something like this been done before though?  Wasn't it like "Phantoms" or something?  I can't remember, but I remember a movie just like this "28 Days" being done already.

I'm still going to see it sometime though.
dustrho

Offline BushiFox

• Youngling
  • Say no to Priority mail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2003, 07:33 AM »
I think it is a remake of Charlton Heston's Omega Men or something like that.
Optimists believe this is the best of all worlds.  Pessimists fear the same may be true.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2003, 10:23 AM »
Its being proclaimed as an homage to the Dead series and Omega Man all bundled into one. I havent seen the Omega Man so I cant compliment on that, but its pretty different compared to the Dead series

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2003, 06:45 PM »
I saw it today and liked it alot! I liked the gritty documentary-ish look and the obvious lack of over-the-top effects. I haven't seen a film that character driven and suspensfull that wasn't a SFX extravaganza in a looooooong time.

I'm a huge zombie/dead fan and half expected a cheesy knock-off of some sort. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. I wasn't sure how the film was going to, or how it should have ended, but I was happy with the way it did.  I'll be adding this one to my DVD collection when it comes out.

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2003, 08:17 PM »
Here's a couple of interesting tidbits courtesy of a guy on another board I frequent:

I did some poking around re: this movie. It sounds like a fairly interesting disaster/zombie hybrid. Even more interesting is this movie was released in November 2002 in the UK. It's just now hitting our shores with the big Hollywood hype machine behind it. So actually, for the price of a movie ticket you can go buy it on DVD. It's all over eBay in official release region 0 format. I'm sure Fox does not want you to know the movie has been out for almost a year, or that you can purchase the movie rather than seeing in theaters. The commercials struck me as yet another re-telling of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend which has already been made into a movie twice. Once as The Last Man On Earth starring Vincent Price, then again in the swingin 70's with Charlton Heston as The Omega Man. Alot of the reviews I read for 28 Days also made those connections. Other comments mention that it's better than Resident Evil, but falls short of George Romero status.
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2003, 09:16 PM »
I am going to be seeing this movie tomorrow (Sunday).
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Jango Fettish

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2003, 05:16 PM »
BORING!

Spoilers ahead, be warned.

I was quriming and wiggling around as much in this one as I was in Matrix: Reloaded.

Not going to recommend this to anyone, sad to say. Just not entertaining enough. Had they not ever met up with that family (the little girl can NOT act), it would have been a little more interesting.

The story is supposed to be about a guy waking up to find the world around him is dead and gone? Ah, but he runs into a couple. Then he runs into a family! THEN he runs into an army of about 12 guys!

And it was supposed to be a "deserted" place?

I'll mention that the "survival of the fittest"  tactic playing out in the Army's HQ's was cooll, and smart but aside from that..bleh. I was majorly dissapointed, especially with the ending.

I did get T3 tix for Tuesday @ 9:00 though.  8)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2003, 07:58 PM »
Ok, well I gotta argue, cuz I (obviously) loved the movie.

More spoilers, you're warned if you havent seen it:

Would it really make sense that every single person in the whole of England except one guy died from this epidemic? While it may have been an interesting story of just him versus a country full of the infected, it just wouldnt have made any sense that he would be the only survivor of the entire ordeal. No virus, no matter how deadly and rapid spreading, is going to kill out every single person in the whole of existence. It makes a lot of sense that the disease was seen early on, and a mass exodus of survivors occured, and the country was thusly quarantined and shut off from the world. Surely people would be left behind. It also makes a lot of sense that they found a large group of surviving members of the military who would be well equipped to fend off the infected (as evidenced by the movie). Fewer than 20 people still makes for a pretty deserted place in my opinion.

What does it take for a movie to please you? Not trying to call you out or insult you, Im just curious. This though, coming from a person that thinks Jango Fett is a severely overrated character along with the likes of Darth Maul (whew, insulting a lot of people now!), but I also hated T3 (which I just got back from a theater employee screening of), and liked the Matrix:Reloaded (for the exception of the MTV Music Video Dance Orgy)

Jango Fettish

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2003, 11:17 PM »
The story made no sense. A bunch of apes watch some violence on TV and are automatically infected with a virus? Riiiiight. Puking blood out of nowhere, so non-sensical.

To entertain me, start off with a story that actually makes some sense.
To try and pull off another "zombie" flick, with the same tired old "get bitten, turn into a ____" routine is just so..OLD!

Secondly, make the movie live up to it's "horror movie" billing and add a ****load more gore.

Third, use a real film camera. The entire movie went from real film to handheld all through out and was visually painful.

Also, whats up with the "28 Days Later" hyperjump? We're just supposed to believe absolutely nothing happened in 4 weeks and everything is just fine?

Lastly, tell these kids at Rebelscum
that if they want to see a real gore/zombie flick, rent Dead Alive. Written and produced by none other than a film GENIUS, Peter Jackson.

I can't believe this movie had people spooked.  ::)

For the record, I enjoyed 2 Fast 2 Furious so much that I saw it twice, and is the best movie I have seen in the past 2 years right behind X2.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2003, 11:42 PM by Jango Fettish »

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2003, 10:22 AM »
Ill address these one by one:

They never said, or even claimed, that the videos were designed to create the virus. It could have been research into making the chimps aggressive. There was never an established correlation between the video and the virus. When I saw it, I took it as they were trying to make the apes more aggressive, so they'd more easily spread a virus of that sort. There actually is established research linking aggresive behavior in primates to prolonged amounts of violence.

I'd say this is different than a typical "zombie" flick (although Ill argue these are not zombies). You can become infected pretty much the same way another bloodborn disease can infect you, by getting it into open orrifices or wounds. Hell, that makes MORE sense that just saying you turn into a zombie because you were bitten.

A horror movie does not have to include gore. Thats like saying a Sci Fi movie has to be CG, and look what a crapload of CG did for TPM and AOTC.

Handheld cameras portray realism and create a much more believable story.

The 28 Days Later time jump: The director didnt want to show all of the ensusing riots and mass exodus and blood and gore. It didnt progress the story or add to it. It would have detracted from the end story of the survivors trying to find out what happened and where everyone went.

Peter Jackson...... Would you think he's a film genius if it wasn't for Lord of the Rings? Be absolutely honest (although I have no idea of knowing otherwise), did you know who Pete Jackson was before LOTR? I like some of his works but I wouldnt declare him a film genius.....

Well, you like 2 Fast 2 Furious, and I guess that puts a lot of perspective onto things. Now there is a movie that is non-sensical pure unadulterated unoriginal tripe, along with T3, the prequels, etc. Its all a bunch of crap to cater specifically to the needs of the masses simply because it will sell tickets. At least 28 Days Later took some risks and wasn't made just to cater to the whims of the mass movie going audiences. The ultimate proof? Jango Fett. A character created souly for the fact that his Original Trilogy counterpart became such a pop icon. Had Boba Fett become the next Jar Jar or Ewok, I can guarantee Lucas would not have placed Jango in AOTC. THAT is out of nowhere, and that is non-sensical.