Author Topic: New Figure Pic in Insider!  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New Figure Pic in Insider!
« on: June 28, 2003, 08:59 AM »
This month's insider is going to feature a picture of the new Fan Choice Concept Stormtrooper, fo those interested (***cough***MisterPL***cough***).

(Got the pic from Here, though there's no other shots of the figure)

It's interesting, and as an "offshoot" trooper it's neat.  I'm certainly going to use it for custom fodder, and if I could somehow BS it into continuity I would.  As it stands, I think it's got good parts for a custom AT-PT walker pilot I believe.  The shield looks neat, and the "glowing" sabre looks to have been pulled off.

His holster's clunky though, as is the armor.  It almost looks like the armor's a separate piece, though I'm doubting this is true.  It just doesn't look as "smooth" as the commtech stormtrooper's sculpt, and there's something odd about it in that regard.  You'll know when you see it.

Overall though, I welcome it...  I do believe I voted for someone else in that election, but this figure appears to be nicely poseable with 3 good accessories (blaster w/holster, shield, and a floor-piece base), with fairly decent (seemingly) articulation, and no action pose.

Not much more I can ask for...  well, except more articulation because I doubt he's sporting 16+ points like I think all figures should. :)  

He's near enough to blend into stormie ranks though too, for those who don't mind a little "off" look.  I mean, if you use POTF2 figures in your ranks there's no way in the world you WOULDN'T use this figure.  I'm a stickler for detail so I won't be mixing them in myself, but I'll be buying a few for something or other.

I think the shield will make a neat EU/Fan-fiction crowd control device too.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2003, 09:49 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: New Figure Pic in Insider!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 10:36 AM »
 :o

I think it's a great-looking figure!  This is definitely one figure that I had voted for, and it looks exactly like that artwork that McQuarrie drew.  That lightsaber looks amazing... an exact copy of the one in the drawing.  I doubt there's much articulation to this figure, but he's got the same type of stance as the vintage figures do... at attention which is something I love.  So, he's going to make a great fit into my collection.  I'm ooing and ahhing over this figure, and I can't wait for it to come out!
dustrho

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 11:27 AM »
Thanks for the callout, Jesse!  ;D You KNOW I'm buying a dozen of these!

Looks great. Add this to existing Stormtroopers, ARC Troopers, Biker Scouts, etc. and the customizing possibilities are endless. Can't wait to see what kind of poseability this has to offer. It'd be ironic if THIS was designed the way the Clone Troopers shoud have been; with oodles of articulation for play and display.

This made my Saturday morning. I'm looking forward to adding this one to my concept figure lineup.  :D

(Now, where's my Twin Pod Cloud Car Pilot?)
Post sober.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2003, 11:45 AM »
Although I wasn't to sure when this figure first came up for the Fan's Choice poll awhile back, I really think it looks great too.  I look forward to picking it up (if I can find it) as well, and I almost kind of hope they continue to do more "concept" pieces every now and then...especially from the OT.  It might be a nice little "set" to display if they do a few based on the concept drawings.  Looks nice!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2003, 11:48 AM »
I almost kind of hope they continue to do more "concept" pieces every now and then...especially from the OT.

I would especially love it if they did a concept Boba Fett, with him decked out in an all white uniform.  Now THAT would be sweet!
dustrho

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2003, 12:28 PM »
I almost kind of hope they continue to do more "concept" pieces every now and then...especially from the OT.  It might be a nice little "set" to display if they do a few based on the concept drawings.  Looks nice!

I wouldn't mind a nice boxed set, or 4 packs of concept figures like Vader, 3P0, R2, stormie, Boba, Chewie etc.  What I don't like about this figure is that we had to kill a "Fan's Choice" Poll with it when we could have had General Riekken, a legitimate Star Wars figure.  The concept stormie is nice, but it's not "Star Wars".

But, when all was said and done, we got Dodonna AND Antilles in the 5th poll, so it kind of made up for not getting Riekken.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2003, 02:53 PM »
It looks different,I'll take 50 ::),hey,it could be an upgrade on the stormtroopers armour,and they were trained to use lightsabers,and carry bast sheilds and...ok its a strech.But,I can see the whole sheild thing.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2003, 03:04 PM »
At this rate, I'll probably never have the option to buy it, but if I did, I'd pass, no thanks.

Looks interesting, though.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2003, 04:11 PM »
I voted for Riekken too, but this is a nice figure.  I'm glad we're getting him, but not over a figure like Riekken.  I'm sure we'll get that figure eventually anyhow.  The CS looks nice.  I think my favorite bit is the shield.  If the Stormies on Endor had some of those, they may have been able to deflect a couple rocks thrown their way.   ;)

Offline krisvds

• Jedi Initiate
  • VLPS
    • View Profile
    • VLPS
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2003, 06:38 AM »
Yeeesssssssssss

that looks great  8)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2003, 07:07 AM »
It certainly looks decent enough.  I was looking at it in the copy of the Insider I got yesterday.  The sculpt looks alright, as do most of the accessories.  The lightsaber looks a little weird to me, though.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 04:43 PM »
The picture link's gone, but I caught it earlier.  Looks pretty good, but I was honestly hoping for a little better.  Looks a little to "blocky" for lack of a better term (not smooth like Jesse mentioned above).  Looks more like the earlier EU Spacetrooper that we got.  And that holster just looks too big!

Cool accessories though!  Hopefully they make a few more finishing touches to him prior to his release.  All in all, he's pretty cool and unique, so I'll definitely pick up a couple.  I wouldn't mind seeing some more concept figures as well, but preferably just some of the older ones just from ANH, as those seems to be the coolest and most well known for some reason.  Just don't make them at the expense of some better OT background characters though!   ;)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2003, 04:47 PM »
I usually don't cry too much about anything Star Wars.  This thing still irks me that it beat out Riekaan.  I to think this figure looks "blocky" and kind of hokey.  Still I'll probably pick it up.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 1, 2003, 12:13 AM »
Looks alright, but why would I want to build an army of this guy?  Hmmm...

...if I ever get my own customizing website going, I will maybe use a few of these guys in a photo-novel story or something as Coruscant Riot-Troopers or something.  Who knows, I am sure I can find some use for them.  So, yeah, I'll get a few, just not too many.  I would rather have seen an all-around great Clonetrooper.

:P