Author Topic: My Hasbro Vehicle Improvements  (Read 11879 times)

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
My Hasbro Vehicle Improvements
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:16 PM »
Hasbro always has to balance between logistics, scale, play value and cost of production. But when hasbro did not make accurate Turrets that shoot missles every time you pull the sound effect switch they whent to far. I actually bought a second Millenium Falcon, Cut off the barrels off one turret and added it to the new another.  Just kidding, I don't have that kind of money but I still have the mold for those of you who are with me. Lets start a revolution. ! It's time Hasbro stops tellin us what we want!  .... ok its time for bed Patty.

The original hasbro version

Mine

« Last Edit: October 3, 2011, 01:47 PM by Jeff »

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Turret Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:21 PM »
The paint streaks are not so bad when it's not a close up. I never have any luck with paint. I used game workshop paint. Any suggestions?

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 05:36 PM »
Use some dust from artist charcol, black, and lightly apply it to the barell tips.  Use another darker grey to go around the rest or the barell.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=fa0366

something like that but they come in various shades.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 11:11 PM »
That sounds real good but what i'm referring to is bumppyness and paint streaks.

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 04:57 AM »
Did you sand it thoroughly? Wash with soap and water? I prefer Acrylic paints as they tend to be more forgiving and level out better than Enamels. If you use something like a flat Testors acrylic basecoat and a flat clear topcoat, you can usually hide a lot of sin. You might look into some Modelmaster(made by testors corp) bottles and or rattle cans.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Tired of Hasbro's inadequacies
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 07:05 PM »
Hi My last two projects were new turrets for the falcon and curve bar pieces that are closer to scale. Just bought the Juggernaut and added a few features.

PS  I'm not a good Photagrrapher

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: My improvement suggestions to Hasbro
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 05:42 PM »
I am such a **** for feedback. Maybe if I explain a bit. If you look at the incredible cross sections book with the Juggernaut, you will see that there is a crows nest tower, a radar dish and a turret (usually for a Jedi). None of this was featured in the Hasbro version. It came with a capsule but was only domed on the top. I casted a piece to get a pill capsule shape. I casted a second dome that is a bit more recessed than the original toy. The turret and radar are from scratch (styrene).

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 05:43 PM »
Oh ya no damage (hole) was made to the toy,,,I took the legs off the Jedi.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 10:01 PM »
throw me a bone plz

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Here is a link with the original toy

http://www.rebelscum.com/TCWvehCloneTurboTank.asp

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 10:44 PM »
Testors or tamya did not seem to have the clors I wanted any suggestions of other brands or sources for colors??

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 4, 2009, 10:21 PM »
Ok no responses any negative critiques?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: November 4, 2009, 11:01 PM »
Sorry I didn't get to you sooner patreek, it has been a hectic week. It's not a bad upgrade, the turret is pretty good. I haven't seen the ICS reference image so I don't have much to go on, but the rod holding up the crows nest seems to narrow. It looks like one little shot or guest of wind would topple it. Maybe there is a way of encasing the latter in a second piece of tubbing, making it look a little more sturdy and like it provides some more protection to whomever is climbing it? 

I think what throws me a little is the scale of it. Not that you could have gone any smaller and still fit a figure inside of either the turret or the crow's nest. I'm just not a fan of the Hasbro toy itself. I think you should consider repainting the entire tank. Most of Hasbro's recent vehicles are WAY to clean looking it needs a slight wash, it really doesn't need to even look dirty, but it needs some sort of wash to highlight the paneling and the rivets and whatnot.

It's a pretty good start though. :)
"This is the way."

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 7, 2009, 08:53 PM »
I agree about color but in terms of sizes you have to come up with compromises since the tank's ratio is messed up anyway. The whole crows nest idea is kinda funny in my opinion even the version found in artwork yells out "hey  look at me ....kaboom!"